PDA

View Full Version : 401 No Authourization Error.

wildjokerdesign
10-13-2003, 09:02 AM
I recently have been getting a 401 Error in my logs when I access the File Manager and phpMyAdmin. When I am using the features it seems to work fine but the error still shows up in the logs. The main reason I know this is because on one of my accounts I have the errors sent to me via e-mail. On the File Manager it seems to be on the images that it returns the error on phpMyAdmin it is on the access to the program directory.

Has anyone else noticed the same?

Shawn

FZ
10-13-2003, 06:09 PM
Hi Shawn,

As far as I know, this is not an error. When you navigate to a directory that is password protected, the server has to send the 401 code to the browser to let it know that the resource being accessed requires a username and password to be accessed (and so also makes an enter username/password input dialog pop up). I just checked my PhpMyAdmin (and another password protected directory) to make sure this was the case, and it is. I also noted that the 401 is only sent once - when the person enters their login details (assuming they are correct) the same URL they tried to access in the first place is sent back with code 200 (which means "OK").

wildjokerdesign
10-13-2003, 07:14 PM
Ahha I see. Must be a product of 2.0 I don't remember getting it on protected directories with 1.0 unless the access failed. Guess I need to go in and tweak my script some.

Shawn

FZ
10-14-2003, 02:38 PM
Hmm, I may have misunderstood what your problem is here. Are you saying that the 401 is logged to your /var/log/httpd/error_log? I assumed you meant /var/log/httpd/access_log (which is what I checked). No 401s seem to be logged to my error_log (neither when using valid nor when using invalid details).

wildjokerdesign
10-14-2003, 03:18 PM
I use a .htaccess file to direct errors to a script that then processes them and returns a page depending on what the error is. Also depending on the error it sends me an e-mail. The script does not actually write to the main logs but to a diffrent one. It is a pretty old one and I did alot of modifications on it.