PDA

View Full Version : Domain pointing to second site within main account

Mania
10-11-2003, 01:16 PM
Hello,

I have a domain that I point to a folder in my main account. Everything works fine but when i type the url www.voxinteractive.com/test it shows the url of my main account www.voxinteractif.com/english/test . (try it)

I don't want to see the url of my french site (voxinteractif.com) but it comes up automatiquely. How can i fix it? Anybody knows? (My site has not been migrated yet)

justus
10-13-2003, 05:24 AM
are u on a reseller account package ?

Mania
10-13-2003, 08:18 AM
no I just have normal starter package

wildjokerdesign
10-13-2003, 08:51 AM
Mania,

What path did you use to point this domain. It may be that the path is wrong. I tried access the above url diffrent ways and they all seemed to go to the same page. I had thought at first that it may be the addition of the www. When you look at the main domain set up you will notice that it has an alias set for www. I belive you would have to do that for the second domain also but still not sure you have the path set right in the first place it the main domain the acadeimania.com and the second one the one listed above?

Shawn

Mania
10-13-2003, 03:17 PM
I'm not sure what you are asking. But my main account is VOXINTERACTIF.COM than later for the english version of the site i registered VOXINTERACTIVE.COM (IVE not IF) at Westhost and ask them to point it to my "english" folder in my main account. It works fine except I don't want people to see that they are on VOXINTERACTIF(french) i want them to see only VOXINTERACTIVE(english) in the url when you navigate the english site. I would like them to see www.voxinteractive.com/test instead of www.voxinteractif.com/english/test. My brother told me that they can attach an IP to the folder and that would solve the problem, is that something possible? I send a message to Westhost last week but no answer.

Thank you again for trying to help me it is very appreciated

wildjokerdesign
10-13-2003, 04:24 PM
You may be limited by the package that you have. Starter packages do not come with a static IP and any domains added to it I belive would be name based. Your brothers idea about attaching an IP to the folder may not work for this reason. I am not real sure that a higher package would make any difference either since I think you would have to move up pretty far to get IP based domains for more then just your main domain.

It may be that in the future this will change or that something could be done but right now with the migration and extra work I am not sure if tech will be able to get to this. All you can do is ask them.

Shawn

wildjokerdesign
10-13-2003, 04:30 PM
Mania,

I just checked something and it looks like you have not been migrated to 2.0 yet. I think that once you are migrated you will be able to get this to work. Have you ever accessed the Site Manager for your main account the address for it would be this. http://www.voxinteractif.com/manager/ I just tried and could not get it to work which makes me think you are still on 1.0. If you contact tech support ask them about it.

Mania
10-13-2003, 04:38 PM
My account has not been migrated yet... I hope you're right and that with the migration i will be able to make it work.

Thanks

FZ
10-13-2003, 05:48 PM
Actually, I find I have the same thing. I am on 2.0 and have a dedicated IP address with my account/domain. My second domain was added using the Site Manager's Domain Management (it does not point to a specific directory - it's a mirror domain). It looks to me like it is a plain "forwarding URL", because going to myseconddomain.com/something/ sends me to mydomain.com/something/ (although going to just myseconddomain.com does not!) I don't really mind this: it is appropriate since I do not intend renewing the second domain. However, I can understand Mania's situation of wanting them to be separate. I think you would actually need a second IP address for the second domain (thereby implying you need a second hosting account) to keep them entirely separate.

Mania
10-21-2003, 09:34 AM
It's working!!! I tried it with my account Acadie.biz which has been migrated to 2.0. I added a new domain to my account (newdomain.com for example) and i make it point to the folder "newdomain" where the site is in my account. When i type www.newdomain.com it point directly to the folder without showing it is hosting on my main domain acadie.biz.

I guest that my other account when it will be migrated to version 2.0 will be able to do the same. It's great. ;)

Alejandro
10-21-2003, 12:17 PM
Yes, that problem should dissapear when your account migrates to wh2. If you don't want to wait you may ask them to migrate now at

https://corp.westhost.com/upgrade2/

well, they say it may take up to 2 weeks. If you need to fix that now, I'll suggest you to ask them to keep pointed that domain but not to an specific directory and then use an script such index.cgi to tell the domain where to go.

wildjokerdesign
10-21-2003, 07:50 PM
Alengandro,

I had not idea they had a form setup to request being migrated. Where did you read that? Guess there is just to much to sort through to find the answers... :). Or did they just do that today?

Shawn

squidier
10-22-2003, 02:47 AM
I just got an email today informing me that I can request to have all my 1.0 accounts migrated to 2.0 if I choose, can take up to 2 weeks though.

Mania
10-22-2003, 06:14 AM
That's funny. Doesn't everybody wants their site migrated to 2.0??? And by the way anybody knows when they are suppose to migrate the last batch?

torrin
10-22-2003, 08:46 AM
That's funny. Doesn't everybody wants their site migrated to 2.0??? And by the way anybody knows when they are suppose to migrate the last batch?

As far as I know, there has been no information on that just yet.

I'm thinking about having my site migrated so I can deal with the issues right now while they are fresh in everyones minds.