PDA

View Full Version : Restarting Sendmail Daemon

blessman
10-11-2003, 01:47 AM
I've been battling some sendmail configuration issues for a while (Ticket #110556 if WH is listening) and I've resigned myself to rebuilding part of sendmail to get the options I want. Now, the tricky part - I can't see any script for starting/stopping sendmail:
/etc/rc.d/init.d does not contain sendmail. Anyone else successfully reconfigured sendmail and got the daemon restarted?

Oh, and while I'm polling for other folks experiences, does anyone else have a working:
ps -A command. Mine craps out with an awk error about too many open pipes...

Thanks for the help. I'm a recent addition to WH, having just started their service prior to the 2.0 upgrade. I've been a Linux jockey for a while and am intrigued by the flexibility of having full control of my system via VDS. Though so far, it has been fairly frustrating.

Blessman

wildjokerdesign
10-11-2003, 10:00 AM
I wonder if restarting the VDS through the SiteManager would also restart sendmail? Or is that what the /etc/rc.d/init.d is doing?

Shawn

blessman
10-11-2003, 11:11 AM
Shawn,

As far as I can see, restarting the VDS does not restart the sendmail daemon. I've also played around with enabling/disabling the mail server via site manager but that seems to overwrite the sendmail.cf configuration file making my changes useless! Since I can't detect the sendmail process using "ps", I have know way of knowing whether it is being restarted or not.

WH, are you listening?

Thanks,
blessman

jalal
10-12-2003, 01:39 AM
Hi Blessman,

In the same situation as you... strange tho, this morning I changed the LogLevel in sendmail.cf and immediately started getting log messages in the maillog file, without restarting the daemon.

# ps el

works... but doesn't help very much with restarting processes.

FZ
10-12-2003, 07:27 AM
I had to change the LogLevel in my sendmail.cf as well a while back. I'm not very familiar with Sendmail, so all I did was make the change in the cf file, and it automatically started logging correctly - I did not have to restart it or anything. Have you tried just making your changes and seeing if they work?

jalal
10-12-2003, 11:15 AM
Well, it could be that its not run in daemon mode then, but called by inetd or something.
And for sending. looking at the logs, it seems to be called every two hours to send whatever is in the queue...

I just found 9 mail messages stuck in the queue which were resulting in a bunch of "Postmaster notify:..." sort of messages every day, I've cleared them out so that should stop the messages.

blessman
10-12-2003, 01:01 PM
Ok, I' seem to have at least sorted out my sendmail configuration/restart issues.

FZ: Good suggestion for trying to just change sendmail.cf and see if the changes automatically propagated but alas, I'd already tried that and it didn't appear to work.

Jalal: That's interesting that it looks like your mail queue is emptied every 2 hours. Now I'm no sendmail expert either, but are you saying that when you queue up a message to send, the email actually doesn't get sent until the next 2 hour fetch, or are you talking about messages that fail on the first try (server timeout) and then get queued for later delivery? In my case, my emails typically get sent as soon as they are queued.

Anyways, in my playing around with the site manager, it appears that if you disable and then reenable your mail server (under email settings), then the manager actually rebuilds your sendmail.cf file from sendmail.mc and picks up the new changes. This is why I was seeing edits to sendmail.cf get overwritten when disabling/enabling outgoing mail. So I'm assuming I can rebuild sendmail however I like and then disable/enable it to get it started (though I haven't tried this yet). Thanks to everyone for their help!

Oh and if WestHost is listening, Istill have not received a response to ticket #110556! Note this is a separate issue regarding ssh tunneling to the local smtp port on my server.

Again, thanks to the forum community for their help.

Blessman

jalal
10-12-2003, 01:16 PM
Hi Blessman

The 2 hour sending is only for mail that had been refused/no connect on the first attempt and held as deferred.

If you want to change sendmail.cf, I think you are best off changing sendmail.mc. Although I don't know whether or not Site Manager overwrites that one.