PDA

View Full Version : How to Use Guestbook?

Joavatar
10-08-2003, 07:40 AM
Hello,

I have installed (I think) the guestbook application on one of the sites I manage. However, I have no idea how to get it up and get it working. Is there any documentation on how to configure and use this application??

Thanks,
Joanne

wildjokerdesign
10-08-2003, 11:43 AM
Joavatar,
Here is the WH User Guide for GuestBook
http://manual.westhost.com/guestbook.html

I would think that if you used the Site Manager to install it that most the things mentioned would have been set for you but it is worth checking on them.

The link for the original script is here http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/

I did try an install through the SiteManager and it worked and configured it for me. It added three html files in my home directory called guestbook.html, guestlog.html and addguest.html . You can access any of them from your browser. It also seemed to add a guestlog.html.lck and a guestbook.html.lck not sure why but they where empty files. I think if I was going to use this I would go in and change the configuration for the guestlog.html and place it in some other directory other then my home or get rid of the logging. I would also format the other two pages to fit the look of my site.

Hope that helps let us know if it does not work for you.

Shawn

Joavatar
10-12-2003, 09:43 AM
Shawn,

Thank you for the info on the guestbook files. I was able to access them through my browser. I don't really know anything about scripts and whatnot and now I have another question.

How do you delete a guestbook entry? I went into guestlog, but it only had my IP address and the time I posted a test entry. I would like to delete the test and clear out the guestbook.

Do you know how to do that??

Thanks!!
Joanne

wildjokerdesign
10-12-2003, 10:28 AM
To remove an entry you would just edit the guestbook.html file. The script has no admin script for it like some of the others. Its is a pretty simple straight forward script. All it is really doing it takeing the info that the person enters and then it opens up the guestbook.html and looks for the begin marker and inserts the new post. You would just delete the one you want. Make sure to leave the begin marker in there it looks like this...

<!--begin-->

The only problem with this method is that in the time that it takes to do this someone could have visited the actual page and added anouther entry that you are not aware of. Since you are simply wanting to get rid of you test befor you open up the guestbook to your users this should not be a problem. When I used to use this script I always kept a "blank" copy of guestbook.html on my computer and everyonce in awhile I would simply upload the blank to clear the book and start it over.

Joavatar
10-15-2003, 07:51 AM
Hi Shawn,

Thanks for your input. I've edited the guestbook file on my local site using dreamweaver, but when I try to re-upload it, I get:

An FTP Error occurred. Cannot put guestbook.html
553 guestbook.html. Permission denied.

Any thoughts on why that's happening???

Thanks again!
Joanne

wildjokerdesign
10-15-2003, 09:01 AM
Yep something is set wrong when guestbook is installed some how ownership is not set right on the three files. Make sure that you have a copy of all three files on your home computer. Then delete all three. Now you can re-upload them to your site and ownership will be given to you.

Looks like the chmod on each should be -rwxr-xr-x which is 751 seems like an odd permission setting to me but that is how it is installed. Hmm this just seemed to change. While I was working on it I notice that now I have a guestbook.html.lck and guestlog.html.lck and the permissions seem to have changed. The first time I looked it was through the file Manager the second was with FTP... hmmm... maybe WestHost is working on it.

NOTE FOR WESTHOST: When the guestbook is installed it gives them UID 37 and GID 37 or at least that is what it did with mine.

Joavatar
10-16-2003, 08:28 AM
Hi again,

Thanks for the info, when I deleted the guestbook files off the remote location and re-uploaded fresh from my local drive it worked fine.

However, when I tried to use the guestbook and add an entry, I got a page not found. I think this is because I am currently working on a temporary location domain.com.yourtempsite.com since I haven't yet transferred the DNS for the existing domain.

Do you think that's correct? That is, that it's not working properly because it's only a temporary site? and it will work ok once I transfer the DNS??

Thanks in advance - you've been a FANTASTIC help to a "newbie".

Joanne

wildjokerdesign
10-16-2003, 08:38 AM
Check and see where the form is pointing to. It could be that you are on a temp site but it could also be that it is set wrong. You could try calling it with the ip if you knew it or a full url call to it. Your really should not have to do that so like you say could be that you are on the temp site. Hard to tell without more details or looking at the actual form or script.

Shawn