PDA

View Full Version : SFTP/SSH login

Blackfyr
09-29-2003, 09:35 PM
I can't figure out how to set up my domain to allow someone to SFTP or SSH into it. The manager says SSH is enabled, but the user I set up can't log in to it.And while FTP works, SFTP doesn't. How do I fix this?

justus
10-02-2003, 08:27 AM
Hi, can you even assist me in getting into FTP - I cant figure it out - all is set up but just cant get in - can you help ?

wildjokerdesign
10-02-2003, 08:37 AM
justus,
What type of error are you getting? Make sure to use your username@yourdomain.com with your password. Here is the section of the manual where it is detailed http://www.manual.westhost.com/part2.html . This is all if you are migrated to WestHost 2.0 which I assume you are.

justus
10-02-2003, 09:07 AM
Thanks a lot, i nearly gave up, the instructions just doesnt has a sequence. I'm real new to this, with regards to this matter - i get 403 when i login to folder locations via sitemanager.

compared to the hosting co i was with previously the setup was very very much simpler - do you think i need to print the entire manual ?

coz i'm under time constraint & need the sites to be runnin.

God help me

:(

wildjokerdesign
10-02-2003, 11:14 AM
Justus,
Instead of using the SiteManager FileManager to upload your files you might want to use WS_FTP. You can get a trial version here http://www.ipswitch.com/downloads/index.html . Not sure about the 403 error you are getting in SiteManager. Using the above program or one similar would bypass having to use the SiteManager and might make it faster to get your site running once you have it installed and set up.

I am not sure what you are trying to do for sure. Are you just trying to upload your pages to your site or are you working with something else on your site?

I don't think you need to print the manual. I just have it bookmarked in my browser so I can refer to it when I am trying to figure something out.

Hope that gives you some answers let me know if it does not or if I missunderstood you.

Shawn

FZ
10-02-2003, 12:09 PM
Blackfyr,

SSH itself is for the account holder login only. E-mail/FTP accounts cannot access SSH using their own details. Can you (as the account/main password holder) log in to SSH and are you able to use SFTP? Like I said in my other reply, SFTP works for me using the main account login info (except use username instead of username@domain.com) - I just tested this for "secondary" FTP accounts and it did not work, so I am assuming SFTP is, just like SSH, for the main account holder only.

justus,

Like Shawn said, you should give FTP a go if you can. Otherwise, if your file manager is giving you problems, you might want to check out this post: http://forums.westhost.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=2713#2713 It might help... But even if that gets it working, do not expect the file manager to work well - it is terrible! It is extremely buggy and few things work as they should (WestHost unfortunately picked out a poorly written script). As for having other problems and not being able to get your site up in time, you should keep posting your questions to this forum - I'm sure someone will be able to help you out.

justus
10-02-2003, 08:22 PM
Hi guys - looks like you are the only one to answer me.
From what I figure- westhost is more suited for the experienced administrators. I've played around with apache & realize it's real powerful if you know how.

FTP problem solved, & File manager login maybe it's bcoz of my browser settings.

So now everythings dandy, then comes the questions of the domains created under 1 account - Coz I'm using reseller package 1.

I created few domains under the main account which has xyz.com
For all the domains created, can you point me where to allow their own ftp login to that particular domain only & how about their emails & pop account - I cant create any - when I create - it's created under @xyz.com.

wildjokerdesign
10-02-2003, 10:24 PM
I am not a reseller and not sure if Fayez but can manybe give some thoughts. I did look at the video on reseller manager and suppososedly you should be able to click on the account in your manager and it will open up thier individual site manager. If you can find that and maybe see what url it uses to direct you to their site manager then that may give you a clue.

Wish I could be more help may Fayez will have some ideas.

Shawn

P.S. If I figure out anything else I will let you know. Also here is the only link I can find about reselling package and there is the link at the bottom to the vidoe I was talking about. http://members.westhost.com/resellermanager.html

justus
10-03-2003, 02:40 AM
Thanks Shawn - you look cool.

I'm finally getting a hang of it - just need to specify the right folder locations for all the other domains under the main account.

But for the emails I've got to figure it out later.. sort of fun playing with apache.

But I must say that support is slow from westhost, other than that still got to get a hang of it - maybe they should redo their manual in a better sequence. And much more step by step idiot proof instructions.

When I have the time maybe I might document for me as a newbie to westhost.

Boy now I get to get back creatin the emails.

Thanks Shawn.

wildjokerdesign
10-03-2003, 08:11 AM
Your welcome Justus, is there a diffrent manual for resellers that you use? Aside from the infromation in the sales area promoting reselling I have not really been able to find much documentation on reseller accounts.

I have been interested in getting a resellers account but since I have not been able to find a manual or more information have not been willing to take the plunge.

Let us know if you have any other problems.

Shawn

FZ
10-03-2003, 12:21 PM
I'm not a reseller, either, so I can't add anything to what Shawn has said - sorry! But, doesn't each domain you create have it's own Site Manager (like Shawn said)? If so, I think you need to create the FTP accounts using their manager if it is not possible to do so with your own.

jalal
10-03-2003, 01:27 PM
design64
Thats correct. Each site in a resellers 'batch' has its own Site Manager and ftp accounts need to be created *and enabled* for users.

FZ
10-03-2003, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the clarification, jalal.

justus
10-03-2003, 09:28 PM
Hi guys, for those domains under the main account as i tried previously to login via their own manager - it turns up into the main account domain & not the actual domains manager.

But i'm still in the midst of testing & still trying to get the emails going.

Once i get the hang of it - i'll give you guys the feedback with regards to reseller accounts

thanks all.