PDA

View Full Version : IMAP

nikeairjordan
09-26-2003, 05:25 AM
Ok,

So we are on Westhost 2.0 - how do I set up my mail boxes to be IMAP?

Thanks,

Tom

wildjokerdesign
09-26-2003, 07:00 AM
In your Site Manager under Site Applications your can install IMP if you have a static IP. Is that what you where wanting or am I misunderstanding you?

Only accounts above the starter package have a static IP.

FZ
09-26-2003, 08:25 AM
Shawn,

I don't think that is what Tom meant. He meant IMAP - it's an alternative to POP3 mail: http://www.imap.org/about/whatisIMAP.htm The concept of it is really interesting.

---

Tom,

I remember reading on a post somewhere by a WestHost rep that once on 2.0 people would be able to install it themselves - no support is given by WestHost on this issue. So, unfortunately, you'll have to look for all the information yourself and then use SSH to try to install and configure it yourself as well.

torrin
09-26-2003, 08:42 AM
Small correction to your link above . . .

http://www.imap.org/about/whatisIMAP.html

wildjokerdesign
09-26-2003, 10:12 AM
I wondered about that "A". I thought it ment something but had not read anything on it. Thanks for the link I have now learned a bit more.
Now let's see if I can retain it.

Shawn

FZ
09-26-2003, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the correction, torrin. I'm sure I copied and pasted it correctly :?

I didn't look really hard, but if anyone has any links to a site that explains how one would install IMAP, and would post the link(s), that would be cool.

lobstershell
11-10-2003, 01:56 PM
Since we are using virtual servers, some of the standard installs may not work.

For instance, I tried installing wu-imap and while it is easy-cheezy to compile and install (three executables that can then be dropped in the directory of your choice), it will only run through inetd or xinetd. Our servers don't run that way. I was not able to get the Courier IMAP server running because it can't be compiled as root, which you are (virtually at least).

That leaves Cyrus, but I am reluctant to install it before I check out the details of the compile/install. It assumes you use sendmail, for instance.

OR if someone can figure out how to get uw-imap to work without inetd (ie, you've created/found a cool, functional rc.d script or something like that), that would be great.

Officially, WestHost says it is possible, but won't reveal any more info:
http://forums.westhost.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=91&highlight=imap
Does anyone else have the "know how" to do this?

nikeairjordan
11-11-2003, 10:26 AM
Yes I am still waiting to be able to do this! If anyone has done this please post!

Tom

Purple
11-19-2003, 06:48 PM
I also consider this a most important part of the upgrade to 2.0.
I wouldn't consider myself a unix expert - but I do know how to compile new programs etc and the out-of-the-box installations for the IMAP packages I tried failed.

Could someone from WestHost please kindly point us in the right direction with how to install these?

Thanks/Best Regards,

Purple
12-27-2003, 10:00 PM
Dear All,

I just spoke with Live Support and they advised that a policy decision by WH was to not encourage IMAP installations due to high CPU and memory consumption.

It is also interesting to note that WH deleted the thread as above indicating that it could be done.

For prospective clients, please kindly note that until we (users) figure out how to install IMAP, please don't expect it to be a component of WH's offerings and or any support for it.

jalal
12-28-2003, 03:05 AM
Matt Domsch at http://www.domsch.com/westhost/ has a bunch of info about installing apps, including IMAP.

Remember, you MUST take care of the security issues around using IMAP! It is more intimately involved in the workings of your server than POP3 is.

I'm interested to know what are the advantages of running an IMAP server on Westhost. I like IMAP, and I run it in the office for all our email, but I wouldn't consider it on a remote connection. (Too slow).

nikeairjordan
12-29-2003, 07:48 AM
If that is their attitude towards IMAP, then I am really annoyed.

I do think Westhosts email hosting (as opposed to their web hosting) is starting to look very poor by comparsion to others. The auto responder is terrible, they don't offer backup MX, no IMAP, no easy way to do custom bounces, no way to treat aliases differently on different domains etc etc