PDA

View Full Version : Where's my sendmail logs gone?

jpspeno
09-23-2003, 11:19 AM
When I first logged into my 2.0 account, I noticed I had access to the sendmail logs in /var/logs.

Now it's gone. I was very happy to have access to this file finally. Now I'm very unhappy about not having it.

wildjokerdesign
09-23-2003, 05:58 PM
I still have mine in /var/log, still not there for you?
Shawn

jpspeno
09-23-2003, 06:46 PM
I still have mine in /var/log, still not there for you?
Shawn

Nope. I believe that's what I said, though I did spell the path slightly wrong. Sill it's interesting that you have it while I don't.

wildjokerdesign
09-23-2003, 07:55 PM
My log was just showing stats for today. I don't know if it resets each day or if they had to reset things because of some work they where doing. I had never looked at it till you brought it up. Maybe one of the other users will have more knowledge with this and chime in to let us know.

Shawn

FZ
09-24-2003, 08:06 AM
My Sendmail log is the "maillog" file in /var/log/. I still have access to it and it still contains data for the past week or so. Are you sure you did not accidentally delete it, jspeno? Also, even if you did it's not much of a problem since all you have to do is send an e-mail or receive one to "re-create" the log. It is also possible that the logrotate function which trims log files automatically removed all the data in your file (but then you would have to have NOT sent or received any mail at all since then for it to not have re-appeared automatically). Weird!

wildjokerdesign
09-24-2003, 08:25 AM
jspeno,

I did notice that on one of my accounts the log has been zipped and renamed. I belive that has to do with what Fayez mentioned the logrotate function. Could it be that the old log has been zipped? It would still be in the same directory.

jpspeno
09-24-2003, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the hints folks. I've been a unix systems administrator for 10 years, and I've tried all the tricks I know to recreate the log limited by what I can actually do in this wacky virtual server environment.

I didn't delete the file, and it hasn't been compressed by the logrotate process.

I tried to 'touch maillog', but sendmail still isn't logging to it.

These accounts don't allow us to alter the syslog.conf files, or restart sendmail, AFAIK.

I just used the manager to restart my VDS, which appears to restart the virtual server, but that didn't bring back the maillog either. I don't think that restarts sendmail anyway.

I suppose I'll have to ask Westhost to do it for me.

WestHost - MStevenson
09-24-2003, 02:07 PM
jpspeno,

What domain is this for? Please let me know which domain this is so I can check this and install them if needed.

WestHost - MStevenson
09-24-2003, 05:23 PM
jpspeno,

I had one of our higher level techs set them up for you again. Let us know if you are still having problems with this.

jpspeno
09-24-2003, 06:00 PM
Dreams do come true. Thanks.

jpspeno
09-29-2003, 01:04 PM
Sendmail has stopped logging again. The last entry I have is from Sept 25, at 2:16AM.

Clearly there's still a problem here.

And the ticket is still open on it. Ticket #98906.

FZ
09-30-2003, 01:56 PM
Mark,

My Sendmail logs have "halted" also. The last entry is for September 28th (and I have definitely received mail after that date). I know there is something wrong because my Procmail log logged all received mail properly. Domain: impenetrable.org - I have not submitted a support ticket for this issue (yet).

Update: It seems to be logging (some) data from /bin/popd, but not other things (e.g. mail being sent or incoming mail) like it used to.

WestHost - MStevenson
09-30-2003, 04:11 PM
jpspeno and design64,

I'm looking into this, I will let you know what I find out.

FZ
10-04-2003, 03:16 PM
jpspeno and Mark,

I believe I have found the solution. I was looking through the /etc/mail/sendmail.cf file, and found the following:

# log level
O LogLevel=0

According to http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/doc8.9/op-sh-4.html#sh-4.6 the default is 9 - which explains why there was minimal logging (0) in my case (but perhaps not why in jpspeno's case there is no logging at all). I changed the value to 9 and saved the file. I sent myself a test mail and found that my maillog is now logging things more or less like it was a week or so ago. I have two backup sendmail.cf's in the /etc/mail/ directory, and the oldest one has LogLevel set to 9 as well. The other (newer one) has LogLevel set to 0.

Hope that helps...

REC-WH
10-04-2003, 04:52 PM
I believe I have found the solution. I was looking through the /etc/mail/sendmail.cf file, and found the following:

# log level
O LogLevel=0

Fayez,

Thanks for the info. My log level was also set to zero.

Charlie

FZ
10-04-2003, 06:06 PM
Hi Charlie,

Glad to have helped. I'm pretty sure WestHost made these changes globally (on every single account's sendmail.cf) which is why you had it set to 0 as well. You probably have two backup sendmail.cf's just like I do. I wonder if WestHost plans on deleting such backup files that are unecessarily taking up space or if they are just left there for the more advanced users to decide.