PDA

View Full Version : SSL Issues, Can Anyone Help?

lonestarr
09-22-2003, 01:00 AM
So I seem to have smoothed out most of the fun issues I've had with my accounts since the 2.0 migration (mine was bad, but I think others have been worse). Anyways I'm having some problems working in the new shared SSL server and am wondering if someone out there has the answers?

a) .htaccess and .htpasswd do not trigger a username and password request from the user as they do on my regular, non-ssl site.

b) I am totally unable to upload files through a form.

That's all I've come across so far. I will be sure to post more issues as I find them.

Thanks!

WestHost - CSimiskey
09-23-2003, 12:00 AM
Lonestarr -
The main thing you need to worry about is the fact that the SharedSSL server and the Non-SSL server have completely different paths physically to the same location on your account. For example, if you want to access a file in your document root (where your html starts out at), the path to it would be expressed as '/var/www/html/index.html' (or something similar depending on being a new or upgraded WestHost client (works the same for everyone, just depends on the system you are used to)). That same file accessed from the SharedSSL server must be accessed from this path: '/ssl/accountname/index.html'. This affects a LOT, especially htaccess/htpasswd, so if you are using those, you need to make sure you are specifying a dynamic path such as ./htpasswd instead of a static path such as /var/www/html/htpasswd.

As for not being able to upload files, make sure that the directory you are trying to writ them to is world writeable, otherwise the script running on the SSL server won't be able to write the file to the directory. There may still be ownership issues with the file since the webserver is running as apache, but you should still be able to get to the file and reassign ownership after the file is uploaded.

I hope that helps out you out.

lonestarr
09-23-2003, 08:10 PM
Chris,

Thank you for your help! I will try what you suggested and let you know how it goes.

einty
09-23-2003, 10:12 PM
Also under shared SSL, how do I access mysql? Works great within my own domain but not under shared SSL.

lonestarr
09-24-2003, 01:31 AM
einty,

You'll need to do a couple of things...

First of all, change your code to include your domain instead of "localhost" like so...
MYSQL_CONNECT('mydomain.com','username','pass');

Next, make sure the "skip-networking" entry in your my.cnf file has been commented out. You can find the file in your "etc" folder at the very root of your account. You can change this through ssh or ftp. For ftp, log in to your account, and find the "my.cnf" file in your "etc" folder. Download the file, make sure the skip-networking entry looks like this...
#skip-networking
and upload the file back onto the server, replacing the old one. Make sure you are in Ascii mode.

Finally, you'll need to add the proper permissions for the secure server to your database. This is most easily done through PHPMyAdmin. Log in and click on the "Priviledges" link. Add an entry with the ip of the secure server as host and grant it access to the database.

You may have to restart the vds from your account manager for the changes to your my.cnf file to take effect. Let us know if this works out for you.

FZ
09-24-2003, 08:10 AM
I wrote a pretty detailed reply to someone that asked the same question... If you want to check it out, here it is: http://forums.westhost.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=955#5296