PDA

View Full Version : oldmail file in root folder (SSH)

bertran
09-21-2003, 02:24 AM
Hi all !

I have seen a fine named "nameemail.oldmail.20030810.gz" in root folder when I accessed there with SSH (~telnet)

What is doing a message there?

I've downloaded and decompressed it, and notepad shows it's a message I had to receive that date (10-8-1003) but never arrived via Outlook or via web. I can read the text but can't see the images in it, any idea to open it?

FZ
09-21-2003, 06:32 AM
What you can try is to decompress it, and then upload the actual message to the mail folder in your root directory (if there is no mail folder, create it) - or just decompress it on the server itself through SSH. Then type this at the command prompt:

pine

If you haven't used it before, it's a mail program. Once you get to the MAIN MENU, press L. A new screen will show which should have INBOX and your message there. Select your message and press enter to view it. If this works, it should tell you that the mail has attachments. It'll also say press [Key] to view/save or something similar. Just do that - save the attachments as files to your root (or www/htdocs) directory and you can then download the attachments.

Let me know if that helps.

bertran
09-21-2003, 05:09 PM
design64 thanks for your help, I couldn't find that message.

I found other two, but nothing about that one. I read some text dowloading it from FTP, but coulnd't open those images.

Thanks again anyway. :-)

I'll try tomorrow after learning something else about "pine".

FZ
09-21-2003, 05:43 PM
If you can't get the images out of the e-mail, you could e-mail the file to me - if you like - and I can try for you.

bertran
09-22-2003, 02:07 PM
I would appreciate it, I can try to send it, but it is quite heavy: 7MB !

I have many E-mail accounts that couldn't accept it, or that would make uncapable to accept more E-mails, so first I'd like to ask if you your E-mail account settings will accept it. (Also, perhaps my account is unable to send it...)

FZ
09-25-2003, 02:09 PM
Problem fixed. Gunzip'ing the file after moving it to the "mail" folder extracted the various e-mails into a new sub-directory. Fired up Pine and the folder and consequent e-mail messages showed up in it. From there I was able to save the attachments to files and I have already sent them to bertran.

ccwebb
09-25-2003, 07:42 PM
Another job well done by Fayez!

Charlie

FZ
09-26-2003, 06:21 AM
lol, thanks Charlie... *takes a bow*

bertran
09-27-2003, 03:25 PM
I got the zip, thanks. :-)

I really appreciate your help, fast and useful. Not just for this problem, but for other ones I had also. Without you and other users in this forum I would have felt lost, and couldn't resolve my problems with this new platform. Thank you very much!

FZ
09-27-2003, 03:54 PM
bertran,

It's my pleasure. I learn something new most times when I help people on the forum here, so really it's a mutually beneficial situation. I'm addicted to helping :lol:

Regards