PDA

View Full Version : Path's with WH @.0

rick
09-18-2003, 03:53 PM
Hello, I have a few cart programs running and with the changes we've had, im concerned on the paths to certain files, the old way I'd code :
/home/servername/www/foldername/filename.html

Now with all the new file I see loggin in, would I change to :
/var/www/html/foldername/filename.html' as a path to the files?

I need to be right the first time so I don't knock the shop offline ....

Rick

wildjokerdesign
09-18-2003, 09:40 PM
Don't know if this helps but I just did some modifications on an old script that writes html files and pointed it using the /var/www/html/foldername/filename.html and it worked.

According to http://members.westhost.com/newprocedure.html it says Root Web Directory: /www/htdocs .

Sorry I can't tell you for sure. The path I used did write the file where I wanted it to.

FZ
09-19-2003, 08:57 AM
Rick,

It will still work the old way (/home/servername/www/...) - I just checked. You should not have to make any changes to any files. But you may want to start using the "real" path (/var/www/html/...) in your new scripts from now on.

bertran
09-19-2003, 12:03 PM
Any idea which is Imagemagick convert path?

FZ
09-19-2003, 12:25 PM
betran,

I don't think Imagemagick is installed by default - you'll have to install it yourself using SSH. I could be wrong.

bertran
09-19-2003, 05:44 PM
Thanks design64, i've seen some comments that say it is in the system, at least it was:

http://westcorp.westhost.net/updates/data/archives/000017.html

I'll do what you recommend.

But I've seen some comments that complain about it's version or if it really works or not...

REC-WH
09-19-2003, 07:10 PM
Thanks design64, i've seen some comments that say it is in the system, at least it was:

http://westcorp.westhost.net/updates/data/archives/000017.html

I'll do what you recommend.

But I've seen some comments that complain about it's version or if it really works or not...

I had the company that sold me a script that uses Imagemagick or Perl GD to produce thumbnails search WH for installed scripts/programs. It is my understanding the the full usable version of Imagemagick was not installed.

I used Perl GD, but now that is not installed. If I can't get one of these installed I must find a difference hosting company- No Choice! I believe that we may have the ability to installed ourselvers. I will try when the servers are more reliable. Right now my site is up & down like a YO-YO.
I hope thing get better soon!

CM

wildjokerdesign
09-19-2003, 08:16 PM
I was just looking in my profile located in my root directory and saw a refrence to ImageMagick.

if [ -d "/usr/local/ImageMagick" ]; then
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/ImageMagick/lib
export PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/ImageMagick/bin"
fi

I looked in those locations but could not find it. I know at some point they said it would be available. Would this indicate they may be getting close?

Shawn

REC-WH
09-19-2003, 08:50 PM
I was just looking in my profile located in my root directory and saw a refrence to ImageMagick.

if [ -d "/usr/local/ImageMagick" ]; then
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/ImageMagick/lib
export PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/ImageMagick/bin"
fi

I looked in those locations but could not find it. I know at some point they said it would be available. Would this indicate they may be getting close?

Shawn

Hi Shawn,

I believe there was a very limited version previous installed.

I think that they may have planed to make it available at a later date. I don't know if now with all the problems with WH2 it will be installed soon. I know that several people have installed it in the past on their site. There is a procedure for installing without root access.

I wonder if we are suppose to be responsible for installing our program under WH2.

If I find a way to installed it I will PM you.

Charlie

bertran
09-20-2003, 03:37 AM
Cool, I'm working on the same direction. I'll try to install it this way:

http://www.photopost.com/magicknoroot-php.html

The program I use makes PHP's GD library work properly, but I've seen results on Imagemagick are much better.

FZ
09-20-2003, 04:50 AM
Yes, it was previously installed and was not even functional (I think it was missing JPG support). It no longer seems to be installed. I think that reference you found in .bashrc, Shawn, is for future use or if somebody wants to install it on their own.

Charlie, I think you can pretty much assume that we are responsible for installing programs we want that WestHost does not already provide. I'd be okay with that, except for the fact that we don't have root access - it's "root equivalent". That really pisses me off sometimes (i.e. when trying to install something, etc.)! I wish we could request to WestHost to give us the root info and then promise not to break anything on our accounts (or have them only assign critical files we don't need to edit to root and everything else to our normal login info) ;)

Thanks for the link, bertran... I've bookmarked it and will try it out in the future.

bertran
09-20-2003, 05:59 AM
I can't install it that way, it doesn't seem to recognize the path when configuring... We are supposed to have installing privileges don't we?

I guess it will work with PHP's GD some more time...

Added:

I followed another url:
http://www.photopost.com/howtoinstall-php.html
with the same result:

when ./configure i get:

checking for gcc ... no
checking for cc... no
configure: error: no acceptable cc found $PATH

so I can't continue installing... hope this helps... :(

FZ
09-20-2003, 08:49 AM
bertran,

I'm just taking a shot in the dark, but you need to install the GNU Compiler Collection with your Site Manager - that is the GCC it was looking for. See http://manual.westhost.com/part7.html#gcc

Once you've done that, try again and it should work.

Let me know how it goes.

jalal
09-20-2003, 09:29 AM
Also note that when installing programs/libraries, you only have write permissions in /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/lib, so for configure, you might need to do:
./configure --prefix=/usr/local

FZ
09-20-2003, 10:52 AM
jalal,

It would seem that this is not the case (unfortunately). *sigh*. I can write to /usr/local/bin but not to /usr/local/lib (permission denied). Meaning if I want to install something, I have to put it's /etc, /bin, /lib, etc. files in directories I create - I can't even use /usr/local/*. ****it. Someone give me the root password before I start taking hostages!

[/usr/local]$ list
drwxr-xr-x 2 impenetr vuser 4096 Sep 13 20:58 bin
drwxr-xr-x 2 impenetr vuser 4096 Sep 5 10:41 etc
dr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Sep 5 12:15 lib

bertran
09-20-2003, 12:47 PM
Yes! Thanks design64! with that GNU Compiler Collection the method works to install ImageMagick: http://www.photopost.com/magicknoroot-php.html

If I'm not wrong this method doesn't need to write paths when configuring as the firt one,

I installed ImageMagick on a folder that can be accessed form internet:

domain.com/imagemagick so the path to "convert" after installing is:
/var/www/html/imagemagick/ImageMagick-5.3.8/utilities/convert

FZ
09-20-2003, 01:05 PM
bertran,

I'm glad it helped. Congratulations :)

One thing though, I would strongly recommend you move your ImageMagick out of your web-accessible directory! You do not want to give everyone on the Internet access to these programs! I recommend you move it to any other directory where it will be easy for you to find it, for example /usr/local/ImageMagick If you know what you are doing and specifically need for the programs to be available to everyone, then ignore this.

bertran
09-20-2003, 07:11 PM
Thanks: I would have waited until it was installed if you wouldn't have give the solution. That meant to download 300 pics twice!

Thanks again, I'll reinstall where you suggest. :-)

Do you recommend to uninstall this previous version or I can leave it until this "hidden" one works?

Edited message (added):
What about a password for this folder?

FZ
09-20-2003, 07:18 PM
You can install it anywhere you like - I was just using an example :)

And it is up to you if you want to remove the current version first or not. You might want to leave it up and running while you get the other one working and then delete the old one once you have done that successfully.

Yes, you could password protect it if you really need to. But like I said, unless you have a specific reason for making it accessible to anyone using their browser, you should install it somewhere where only you and programs/scripts you run can access it and not potential hackers, etc.

bertran
09-21-2003, 02:23 AM
I see, I'll install it again there.

Thanks, I appreciate it. :)

FZ
09-21-2003, 06:20 AM
You're very welcome, bertran.