PDA

View Full Version : ticket # 94719 Need help configuring OutlookExpress to recv.

Tiare
09-18-2003, 03:26 PM
I think I have tried every conceivable combo of Account ID & password.

Still not able to received mail.

I can access my email from Westhost Webmail for both the assigned email address (mydomain@mydomain.com) and the address I set up in the Westhost manager.

I cannot access the address for verifying my account (user + creditcard or account # (atcually letters)

There is not an emoticon for hysterical sobbing but that is where I'm at.

I'm on a mac os9, Internet Explorer 5.1 and Outlook Express 5.0.6.

If anyone can walk me through this I don't mind calling you long distance.
Heck, I'll Paypal you $10. for the favor.

Tia - naturacuriosa@earthlink.net

ccwebb
09-18-2003, 03:53 PM
Tia:

I am assuming you are on 2.0.

Are you using yourname@yourname.com as the username?
See here - does this help? http://members.westhost.com/newprocedure.html

Charlie

Tiare
09-18-2003, 04:41 PM
Yes,

I'm on 2.0 and am using mydomain@mydomain.com. I've tried the original password they gave me, the one I changed it to (9 letters) and the one I set up in places that only allowed 8 letters.

I've pour through the forums and help and wonder if the problem could be something I'm not advanced enough to "get", like altered settings/files.

Tia

ccwebb
09-18-2003, 05:10 PM
Are you able to connect via FTP?

If yes then the username (mydomain@mydomain.com) and password are the same ones you would use to pull mail. A FTP test would prove them "good".

Did you check the link I gave you so that other settings such as outgoing and incoming servers are correct?

What happens when you try to pull mail? Does it say invalid username or password?

Charlie

Tiare
09-18-2003, 05:28 PM
Hi Charles,

You are so sweet to be responding. I'm feeling a lot less stressed out knowing there is human out there helping me.

Yes, I can contect via ftp with no problem and tried that combo of username and password. I also checked out the link you sent me.

I use mail.earthlink.net as a smtp as that is how I had to do it with my last host. Westhost mentions that this might be an issue with the ISP, so I went ahead and did that.

I can send mail no problem. Should I try changing to mydomain.com as the SMTP anyway?

Tia

I'm stumped.

Tiare
09-18-2003, 05:36 PM
PS

Forgot to mention that the error message I get is:

>The server for account "Curiosities" returned the error "Bad Login".
>Your user name/password or security settings may be incorrect.

ccwebb
09-18-2003, 05:50 PM
So then just to be sure your incoming mail server is yourname.com. Right?

If yes then try one more thing. Go to your account setup screen in OE. Where it says password start by highlighting your password then blank it out. Then hold down the delete key (or equivalent on a Mac) and hit it multiple times. What I having you do is make sure you are clearing out the entire field.

Then carefully re-enter your password.

Try to pull mail again.

Charlie

Tiare
09-18-2003, 10:14 PM
I tried clearing out the password , resetting it and recieveing but got the same error message. These are the setting that I'm using:

email address: acaseofcuriosities@acaseofcuriosities.com
account ID: acaseofcuriosities@acaseofcuriosities.com
POP server: acaseofcuriosities.com
save password:
SMTP server: mail.earthlink.net

I sure wish Westhost had set my user ID as just curiosities!

Could it possibly be something with the site manager that is causing the problem?

I really appreciate your help. are you with Westhost? If not you should send them a bill for independant contract support!

Do their tech support ever look at these forums? It's really frustrating to have no way to get through to them.

Tia

ccwebb
09-19-2003, 06:25 AM
Tia:

Sorry but we do not seem to be getting anywhere. No I am not associated with westhost other than a suffering 2.0 client.

>The server for account "Curiosities" returned the error "Bad Login".
>Your user name/password or security settings may be incorrect.

I looked back at the quote above and am now puzzled how you can be using acaseofcuriosities@acaseofcuriosities.com as username and the bad login message shows account "Curiosities".

Have you set up another email account in site manager called curiosities@acaseofcuriosities.com? You mentioned in an earlier post another email account. What did you set up?

I'll look into site manager. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me on this can jump into this problem.

Charlie

wildjokerdesign
09-19-2003, 07:44 AM
Charlie,
I imagin the Curiosities account is just what Tia has called it locally in Outlook. When I get an error it returns the name I called it with errors. That should not effect the log in.

Tia,
I have Outlook 98 so some of what I say may be in a little diffrent place.

In Options under Servers tab. Going down the page check these settings.

My incomeing mail server is a POP3 server.
Incomeing Mail [POP3] acaseofcuriosities.com
Outgoing Mail [SMPT] mail.earthlink.net
Account Name acaseofcuriosities@acaseofcuriosities.com
Password *********

Then check your Server Port Numbers. This is on an Advanced tab for me. The Incoming Mail [POP3] should be set to 110. I belive those are the important settings.

Now a couple ideas if that is how you have everything set that way.
First you might want to try changing.

Incomeing Mail [POP3] acaseofcuriosities.com
to
Incomeing Mail [POP3] mail.acaseofcuriosities.com

I remember some post where a user had to do that.

Ok here is a link to another post that may be a cause.
http://forums.westhost.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=5508#5508

Let us know how it is going. If what I have said does not do you any good maybe it will help Charlie think of something else.

Shawn

Tiare
09-19-2003, 12:20 PM
Dear Shawn and Charlie,

Changing receiving to: mail.acaseofcuriosities.com
WORKED!

For others who might have this problem here are the account settings that worked for me with Outlook Express 5 for Mac OS 9:

Account name: Anything you want.

Personal Info:
Name: Anything you want.
E-mail address: yourdomain@yourdomain.com (the default, WestHost assigned email/user)

Receiving mail:
Account ID: yourdomain@yourdomain.com
POP server: mail.yourdomain.com
Password: (your assigned main account password or the one you changed it to)
Advanced options: none

I never had a problem sending mail via my ISP's SMPT Server:
Sending mail:
SMTP Server: Could possibly be your ISP's SMPT or yourdomain.com (what WestHost has in their instructions) OR mail.yourdomain.com

Thanks to you both for being so supportive! Hopefully WestHost will correct/update their instructions and double check for accuracy so clients don't have to sift through the forums.

I'm off now to see if I can configure the new email address I added. ;-)

I really wish that WestHost would advise new clients that they aren't presently providing tech support. I felt like I fell into a black hole!

I was really impressed with the details of their online manual before I signed up.

I think that they should give you guys some free stocks or service.

Cheers, Tia

wildjokerdesign
09-19-2003, 04:01 PM
Very glad to have helped Tia. I am not to sure how cross browser and platform this new system is. Seems there are alot of diffrent settings for diffrent folks.

If you need anything else let us know.

ccwebb
09-19-2003, 09:03 PM
Tia:

I'm happy Shawn got you going!!!!!!!!

Charlie