PDA

View Full Version : Domain Name Doesn't work on one Particular computer...

Goldpicks
09-18-2003, 12:08 AM
Every computer, except the one I'm on now goes to my site when I type in the domain name (www.goldpicks.com) This particular computer gets the error "Site not found"

Yes I'm on MSN, and I realize it takes some time for their servers to "catch" up.

But I can log on to MSN account with my laptop, and it works. Its got to be something on this computer......

Any ideas?

torrin
09-18-2003, 09:27 AM
Are you using windows? If so try going to a command prompt and typing.

nslookup goldpicks.com

You should get something like this . . .

Microsoft(R) Windows NT(TM)
(C) Copyright 1985-1996 Microsoft Corp.

C:\users\default>nslookup goldpicks.com
Server: netman3.sd.gd.com
Address: 134.120.1.163

Name: goldpicks.com
Address: 69.36.190.78

Does it give you the same answer on all your computers?

Goldpicks
09-18-2003, 04:46 PM
I get a "bad command or file name" typing that at the command prompt. I am using Win98.

Say it did work, if this computer was different, how would I fix that?

torrin
09-19-2003, 07:02 AM
I get a "bad command or file name" typing that at the command prompt. I am using Win98.

Say it did work, if this computer was different, how would I fix that?

You were just looking to make sure that the ipaddress that you get back from the DNS server is actually correct. That way, we can rule that out and move on to other things. You could also look at your DNS settings and make sure they are pointing to the same DNS server.

Having said that, i'm not sure what command you use on Win 98 for such things. Since we can't say that, let me take a stab in the dark.

Have you looked at your hosts file? I'm not sure of the location in Win 98, maybe someone else can help with that. Make sure there isn't an entry for your website in there. If there is, you computer will use that address instead of asking a dns server.

That's the only thing I can think of as maybe causing the problem. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

ccwebb
09-19-2003, 10:29 AM
I get a "bad command or file name" typing that at the command prompt. I am using Win98

I read somewhere that nslookup is available with windows 2000 and above. I think you can find a nslookup on the web, download and install it, if you want to go that far.

Have you tried clearing cache in the browser of the problem computer? Or holding down the control key and hitting reload after the site not found?

Do you have another browser on the problem computer? Bring it up and see if it accesses the page.

Charlie

P.S. One more thing - can you access it by going in with the IP?
http://69.36.190.78

Goldpicks
09-26-2003, 08:17 PM
I found a "host" file in the windows root directory, and it did have the old IP, but changing it did not work. Neither did clearing the cache or holding the conrol key.....

very strange.

Using Netscape did work, so its something with IE...

ccwebb
09-26-2003, 08:42 PM
did you try to access by the IP?

Charlie

REC-WH
09-26-2003, 08:44 PM
I found a "host" file in the windows root directory, and it did have the old IP, but changing it did not work. Neither did clearing the cache or holding the conrol key.....

very strange.

Using Netscape did work, so its something with IE...

Torrin maybe right if you had Apache or a server setup on this computer and modified the host. I had the same problem with Windows 2000. C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\host. I don't know on Windows 98. But in Windows 2000 you can just put an # in of the line.

I don't know if your use www. in front of your domain name. I know it may sound stupid but I had similiar problem with some website. The browser (IE6) could find the site until I added www.

CM