PDA

View Full Version : Mojomail & Procmail setup

Gledd
09-15-2003, 09:17 PM
Hi,

I am new to westhost, and picked them for a provider because they were very friendly answering all my questions. I was very lucky to sign right up into the new 2.0 system, and have had no problems with the account at all. I am a self-taught, basic html person. I get confused when it comes to anything more involved than html. Most of my scripts are plug and play ;->.

I want to set up multiple mailing lists, ranging from announce only, to group discussion. I have installed mojo mail, and actually set up a few lists. But in testing, I realized that the only way to send e-mail to the list, was from mojo mail itself. I submitted a ticket, before I realized what a problem Westhost was having with the conversion. It wasn't until after I submitted that I visited the board, my bad. So I don't really expect a reply about it, since it is a very minor thing to what everyone else has been going through.

I have looked through the forums, and have found some info about having to use procmail, and making changes to it. Where do you get procmail? Also, it looked like the instruction was for like one mailing list. Can you set it up for more than one? Any help is appreciated. Usually after I have it figured out, I can do it myself, but I need help getting started.

Thanks,
Gregory L. Edwards

jalal
09-16-2003, 05:56 AM
Have you looked at either of these pages:

http://manual.westhost.com/mojomail.html

http://mojo.skazat.com/support/documentation/

HTH

Gledd
09-16-2003, 06:49 AM
Hi,
But did not go far enough, now that I see. I have been to the mojo website many times, even before I joined westhost. I even read the page about setting up to recieve mails directly to the list. But I never went past mojo_send.pl. Thanks for repointing me in that direction. Sometimes I err way to far on the side of caution. Especially when I am not exactly sure what I am doing. I am going to read the rest of the documentation now.

Hopefully I can figure this out. Thanks for the help.

Laters,
Gregory L. Edwards

P.S. Edited to take my foot out of my mouth, it tastes kind of funny. /me has to learn to make sure he has read all first ;->

lawrence
09-28-2003, 02:09 PM
I recently joined Westhost (virtual hosting) and am trying to setup Mojomail for discussions using mojo_send.pl. Everything works, EXCEPT getting mail piped into mojo_send.pl.

1. I have set up an alias using the list short name (using Westhost Site Manager 2.0) and verified that email-type aliases work.
list@mydomain.com = /www/mydomain/cgi-bin/mojo/extensions/mojo_send.pl

2. I have modified mojo_send.pl to use the proper mojo directory.
my $lib = '/www/mydomain/cgi-bin/mojo';
and added the perllib path to @INC
push(@INC, "$lib/MOJO/perllib");

3. I have tested mojo_send.pl from the command line (as per documentation) and verified it works (but with messages to STDOUT).
perl mojo_send.pl --test

When I send email to list@mydomain.com the message is redirected to the catchall address, as if the command-type alias doesn't exist.
I don't know how to test if command-type aliasing is functional, and I assume that it does.

Any ideas?

Gledd
09-30-2003, 09:26 AM
Hi

Unforunately I have not had much time to work on the mojomail problem, but I did change the mojo_send.pl. But I cannot find the .procmailmrc file. Anyone know where it is? I have found a procmail file, filled with gibberish when openep up in my text program.

I finally got a response from Westhost, but it basically said there was no way, that I had to use the control panel. I really liked the ease of subscribing, but I am not enjoying that it can't be used without the control panel. I would really like to get it working, or I will not be transferring the one webpage I have that uses a mailing list, and may have to find a webhost that does have one that works the way I like, which I know is going to be hard.

Laters,
Gregory L. Edwards

P.S. Lawrence, sorry I can't help you out, as you can see, I am having problems with this too :-)

lawrence
09-30-2003, 09:58 AM
Gregory,
I think the new hosting system at Westhost does not use or need a .procmailrc file. I believe the functionality is replaced by "/etc/procmailrc" and "/etc/mail/aliases" (open in your text editor). You can also look at "/etc/mail/.alias_type" which is another file used by the mail control panel. You should use the site manager mail controls to make modifications to these files, as it probably performs other necessary operations to get things to work.

Of course, even if you do everything right, their way, you may have the same problems I do, namely, getting command-type aliases to do what they're supposed to.

Lawrence

FZ
09-30-2003, 02:44 PM
Lawrence,

Have you tried using Procmail to pipe e-mail sent to that address to your program? I know if the functionality exists in the Site Manager it should work, but if you need it working while they are fixing the problem, you could try that.

lawrence
09-30-2003, 10:41 PM
I successfully tested command-type aliases. The message is getting to the command from the alias. Which leads me to believe that mojo_send.pl has problems. At this point my guess is that mojo_send.pl fails with an error and the message gets forwarded to the catchall address as a fallback.

A) mojo_send.pl works from the command line, as advertised.

B) I didn't write mojo_send.pl so I don't really know what it's doing.

Mojo may not be 100% compatible with the new Westhost 2.0. Any input from the Westhost folks?