PDA

View Full Version : ssh/sftp client programs gone

magnatechonline
09-15-2003, 01:31 PM
i no longer have access to ssh/sftp client programs from my ssh text login screen. obviously the server components are there.

will this be added? can it be added on request?

-magnatechonline

jalal
09-15-2003, 03:48 PM
In the case of 'scp' (a close relative of 'ssh') I copied the program over from a site that was still on Westhost1 and that seems to work fine, maybe the same is true of ssh and sftp?

Bailey
09-15-2003, 10:03 PM
I don't have it either! All my accounts are on 2 now, so can't copy from others. Any other way? I just have always counted on them being there.

Thanks.

jalal
09-16-2003, 08:45 AM
I've put copies of 'scp', 'ssh' and 'sftp' up on my ftp site at:
ftp://ftp.gnomedia.com/sutils.tgz

Download from there.
Upload to your website.
ssh into the site and unpack the tar file
put the binaries into /usr/local/bin

They work for me but YMMV.

HTH

smither
09-16-2003, 05:11 PM
Here's what worked for me to get working ssh, sftp, scp, etc. clients:

1. Go to http://www.openssh.com/ and navigate to one of their Linux ftp download servers in the RH 7.3 rpm directory

(for example:
ftp://openbsd.mirrors.pair.com/OpenSSH/portable/rpm/RH73
)

2. Find the rpms that you want (example: openssh-clients-...rpm) and download them to your Linux box at home.

3. View the rpms using mc (midnight commander). Press enter on the rpm that you are interested in, press enter on the CONTENTS.cpio "file" and navigate to the binary you want (example: /usr/bin/ssh). Press F5 to copy the file to the other panel in mc.

4. Use regular ftp to upload the binaries to where they should be on your dedicated server.

I have installed ssh, scp, sftp, joe (an editor, I don't like vi :-) and other binaries using this technique.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Bob Smither