PDA

View Full Version : If I buy Second Domain?

Naughty Girl
09-12-2003, 05:06 PM
Hey all!
I want to buy another domain and build a new site with it. But where in the heck would I put it within my existing file structure? I want to put it on my existing hosting package. I don't want to set up a whole new hosting account for it. Does the new control panel handle that for me? I'm so lost, I'm starting to shiver.

Thanks all,
Naughty Girl :D

FZ
09-12-2003, 07:25 PM
Hi Naughty Girl ;)

You can have another domain added to your existing WestHost account (called a domain pointer) and you should be able to configure its options in the new Site Manager. Using that, you should be able to point it to any directory you want to (thereby making it a "seperate site") - or you could just have it mirror exactly what your current domain/account shows. I would suggest, however, that you contact WestHost with your specific questions before you decide... I have never played with domain pointers (but am getting one soon), so I may be incorrect (apologies if I am).

/me warms Naughty Girl up...
Can I have my full body massage now? :D

wildjokerdesign
09-12-2003, 07:53 PM
/me warms Naughty Girl up...
Can I have my full body massage now? :D

Fayez Please! Not in public :)

FZ
09-12-2003, 08:12 PM
I can't help it if she has an avatar like that :lol:

REC-WH
09-12-2003, 08:44 PM
Hi Naughty Girl ;)

You can have another domain added to your existing WestHost account (called a domain pointer) and you should be able to configure its options in the new Site Manager. Using that, you should be able to point it to any directory you want to (thereby making it a "seperate site") - or you could just have it mirror exactly what your current domain/account shows. I would suggest, however, that you contact WestHost with your specific questions before you decide... I have never played with domain pointers (but am getting one soon), so I may be incorrect (apologies if I am).

I don't think you can add a domain unless you hosting account (package) is for more than one. The starter package only allow one domain name. The others allow more.

I am waiting to upgrade my hosting package so I can point serveral domain names to my account. My request is in, but I think it has a very low prioirty right now. The server my account is on just went down. I had very little troulbe with the migration to WH2 except some login problems.

CM

FZ
09-12-2003, 08:54 PM
CM,

You misinterpreted what WestHost's packages page is trying to explain (I'll admit it is a little unclear :oops:) - the 'cheaper' accounts only come with 1 domain "built-in", however, for a one time $10 fee, you can have additional domains pointed to them. The accounts that are higher up include, for example, 5 free pointers should you need them - in that case (of course) the set up fee would not apply - you'd just register the domain and get WestHost to associate it with your account (or do it yourself; whichever).

REC-WH
09-12-2003, 09:20 PM
CM,

You misinterpreted what WestHost's packages page is trying to explain (I'll admit it is a little unclear :oops:) - the 'cheaper' accounts only come with 1 domain "built-in", however, for a one time $10 fee, you can have additional domains pointed to them. The accounts that are higher up include, for example, 5 free pointers should you need them - in that case (of course) the set up fee would not apply - you'd just register the domain and get WestHost to associate it with your account (or do it yourself; whichever).

I guess your right, I don't understand the hosting packages. I do have one account with two domain names pointed to it. I did pay extra for the service. I was hoping to update my other account to a hosting package were I can have several domain names without the extra expense and I can add or delete tehn when I want.

I have a policy of not registering my domain names with my hosting company. I use openSRS and I can login and point them to any server of my choice. I think it is a good policy and I have more control in case of problems.

Thanks for the info!

CM

Naughty Girl
09-12-2003, 10:12 PM
Thanks guys,
I do have a 5 domain account. I'm just so worried that I might put my new domain into the wrong file. The domain pointer suggested that I put it into /htdocs. Would that work? If I put it in there, would it be able to utilize all of the ValueApps?, the cgi-bin, mojo, Miva and all that? Do I need to create a folder for it first or would I just throw it straight into /htdocs and run?

Sweet Dreams,
Naughty Girl :)

FZ
09-13-2003, 11:04 AM
Naughty Girl,

You're welcome. Where's my full body massage? ;)

You shouldn't worry so much. Once you register it and have it added to your account, it should show up in the Domain Management section of your Site Manager - meaning you can change properties for it, etc. If you point it to your htdocs, that means it will just be a "mirror" of your current site/domain. If you point it to its own directory, it will not be a mirror - it can be a totally seperate site if you want it to be. I believe you can point it to anywhere you want, not only htdocs - you could create a new directory in your /home folder and call it "site2" or the name of your site if you want - in that case it would be totally "separate" to your existing site. I encourage you to experiment with this sort of thing as subdomains of your current domain so you can get a feel of what you can do with it. Then when you are ready, have it (the domain) added. And yes, you will be able to use all the ValueApps as you have been for your current domain. Remember that the new domain is just that - a domain - not a new account. So, all your ValueApps will be "shared" (i.e. you'll only have one set of them - the ones for your main domain).

e-localvalue
10-22-2003, 01:07 PM
You don't seem naughty. You haven't replyed to anyone's comments.