PDA

View Full Version : Formmail (path?) prob in WH2

kmorl
09-12-2003, 12:04 PM
My website finally came up, but totally empty. Tried to get a few essential pages and forms running, but found the formmail forms would not sent - I'd get a "The requested URL /cgi-bin/formmail.cgi was not found on this server." error message.

Finally I figured out that WH2 didn't automatically install the script, so I wnt to the manager and installed it, only to still get the same error message.

Now in the old Westhost, my formmail script was in (best I can recall) the cgi bin and was named formmail.cgi, which is what my form seems to be looking for. But in the new WH 2 directory there's a formail folder in the cgi bin, with formail.pl in it. I thought there was supposed to be some alias or something that would get around this so old scripts would work, but it doesn't seem to be, at least on my acct.

I tried setting the address on the form to ....cgi-bin/formail/formail.pl but that didn't work either, but get a similar message but with the new address.

Any ideas? I have not too savy at this, and just want to get the **** thing running without waiting for support if I can avoid it.

jsdoyle
09-12-2003, 02:46 PM
I beleive the formmail.pl file replaced the older formmail.cgi file. The new one is more secure I beleive.

You will need to go in to the new file and edit a few lines. One is the Recipients. You have to list the email addresses in the script that are approved to use the formmail.pl script. Of course you will have to change your forms to POST to the formmail.pl file too.

There are a couple other settings that must me made in the formmail.pl file so you'll have to open it up in an editor. I use CuteFTP's built-in editor. You will also need to set the files permissions to 755.

Scott

gethipp
09-12-2003, 03:35 PM
The old file was called formmail.cgi - the new file is called FormMail.pl - case sensitive. You shouldn't have to modify the file itself if you've installed it through site manager, but when you point to it from your html file, make sure that you identify it (in the new directory) using the case sensitive file name.

Good luck to you.

kmorl
09-12-2003, 08:05 PM
Thanks. I tried modifying the file pointed to formail to the new name and address and it didn't work. Turned out the Westhost installer when it installs puts the script in a folder along with the READ ME and puts it all in the cgi-bin. Taking it out of the folder and renaming it .cgi instead of .pl (which some instructs I found elsewhere said might be necessary) got it to work - up to a point. Now when I submitted the form it would find the formmail script but said I didn't have permission to access it.

Big problem seems to be so much of the scripts etc for WH2 are inadequatel configured or tested by WH when it was installed - you have to keep going back to step one and starting from scratch. Alas can't test it because my email is out again, with everything blinking in and out hard to work on anything, since you never know what is acting up - is it the form not sending, or the email not getting it?

Can anyone explain to me about permissions? I don't get a chance to set it to 755, I get a 3 x 3 grid of checkboxes.

The old file was called formmail.cgi - the new file is called FormMail.pl - case sensitive. You shouldn't have to modify the file itself if you've installed it through site manager, but when you point to it from your html file, make sure that you identify it (in the new directory) using the case sensitive file name.

Good luck to you.

wildjokerdesign
09-12-2003, 08:27 PM
Right now they are doing some upgrades but they should be through soon you can follow the status of the network here http://netstatus.westhost.com/ They are also posting at the top what they are doing and how long they think it will be.

I will be right back on that permission question.

wildjokerdesign
09-12-2003, 08:32 PM
Your 3x3

checked|checked|checked|
checked| not | not |
checked|checked|checked|

That is for 755 The first colum is Owner the second is Group and the third is Other. Does that Help?

kmorl
09-15-2003, 08:12 AM
Helps a lot. Once again, thanks.

My forms are up and running. On the advice of another user here, who'd had the same problems, I threw away the westhost-provided formmail and installed NMS Formmail which worked perfectly right from the start after just some very simple configuration. The instructions are much better than the fragmented ones in the WH manuals and the NMS does some nice extra tricks.

Your 3x3

checked|checked|checked|
checked| not | not |
checked|checked|checked|

That is for 755 The first colum is Owner the second is Group and the third is Other. Does that Help?