PDA

View Full Version : Email aliases bounce - no revense DNS

ralphb
09-09-2003, 12:52 PM
Some ISP mail servers are bouncing mail from our server(s) because there is no reverse DNS (get name from known IP address) set up to them yet. For example, rDNS lookups for:

69.36.161.59 (wwmenewenglang.org)
69.36.162.94 (wwmema.org)
69.36.162.88 (wwmect.org)
69.36.183.134 (ralphb.net)

are all failing. Note that DNS lookups (get IP address from known domain name) seem to be working fine.

Do I need to open a ticket on this, or is it already reported?

Ralph

noclue
09-09-2003, 01:25 PM
there was never a reverse dns set up for my domain, even on 1.0.

just posting here so I don't miss any conversation about this and because since I set up spamassassin again a few minutes ago I'm getting a lot more postmaster@mydomain.com emails with evident bounces,

obviously I don't understand any of this

FZ
09-10-2003, 05:25 AM
I never had reverse DNS on my 1.0 account either. Not even on my brand new account (that comes with a dedicated IP address)...

noclue
09-10-2003, 10:21 AM
I had a dedicated IP on 1.0, no shared.

ralphb
09-10-2003, 11:31 AM
All right, then.

I tried contacting the other ISP. They are adamant. They will not accept email from a domain unless there is a specific reverse DNS entry for it. Period. This is stupid - they should be using a Bayesian filter system - but they will not budge. Sigh. :roll:

So, I have submitted a High priority ticket, #88458, to Westhost. If you guys need help, it's simply a matter of adding a PTR record to the zone you should already control.

If they are as responsive to this as they have been to my other tickets, then I will be manually forwarding stuff 'til the cows come home. :evil: Sigh again.

Ralph

noclue
09-10-2003, 11:37 AM
Never mind, too pi**ed to post right now.

ralphb
09-10-2003, 11:45 AM
Never mind, too pi**ed to post right now.

'nuff said.

rbll
09-11-2003, 12:43 PM
Any word on this ? I'm positive that my 1.0 account reverse lookup worked ... it didn't give me my domain, it gave me the westhost server name my account was hosted on but that was enough to get the eamil to go thru ... On 2.0, lookup of my ip just fails completely and that is what causes people to reject it ....

ralphb
09-11-2003, 12:49 PM
No word yet, of course. I have yet to receive a non-automated reply to *any* ticket I have created since September 1. I expect no better for this one.

I agree that there were rDNS entries for all the old IP addresses, as this email problem only cropped up since 2.0. Oh, and I just checked; my rDNS entries, which would take someone at WH about 3 minutes to do, have not yet been created.

FZ
09-11-2003, 01:52 PM
Even westhost.com's IP doesn't reverse. I think it we should request that WestHost enable reverse DNS - at least for the dedicated IPs... Would be cool.

FZ
09-14-2003, 04:44 PM
Just confirmed with Bevan that they will be fixing this problem - all servers will have reverse DNS enabled (probably like it used to be on 1.0) - sometime tomorrow (he will post when it is done). Was there ever any doubt they would let this slide? ;)

bnicolas
09-15-2003, 08:08 AM
Why am I getting 30 e-mails a day for the last couple of days with the same subject: "Returned mail: User unknown" they are all addressed to some seemingly random generated username at my domain i.e.- u298grhtgl@dailystaple.com, 936kgtq@dailystaple.com? They all arrive with 2 attachments neither of which I have ever opened. Has anybody else been experiencing this? Is this related to the problem discussed above?

ralphb
09-15-2003, 08:14 AM
Why am I getting 30 e-mails a day for the last couple of days with the same subject: "Returned mail: User unknown" they are all addressed to some seemingly random generated username at my domain i.e.- u298grhtgl@dailystaple.com, 936kgtq@dailystaple.com? They all arrive with 2 attachments neither of which I have ever opened. Has anybody else been experiencing this? Is this related to the problem discussed above?

Probably this is a spammer who is using software to generate random usernames (so they can't be blocked) to forge To:, From:, and/or Reply-To: headers for their nefarious messages. It also could be a new virus that is doing this. Unfortunately, they have picked your domain. This is not related to the reverse DNS problem; a very specific bounce message is the indicator for that.

WestHost - BErickson
09-15-2003, 09:41 AM
Reverse DNS is now working on *ALL* ip addresses that we own. The reverse DNS will be updated automatically on a nightly basis.

Hope this helps.

ralphb
09-15-2003, 09:47 AM
Thank you! 8)