PDA

View Full Version : Autoresponder Confusion

kb4ob
09-08-2003, 07:03 AM
I must be missing something!
When I install an autoresponder for a new user, I cannot apply any type of autoresponder message or topic,
The new manual says that the (user) must log into site manager and edit thier own autoresponder message but when I attempt to log in as that user, site manager rejects the login?

In this instance, I don't really want this user in Site Manager since they don't want or don't need accesss to it.

Actually, I don't want ANY of my users in Site Manager!

ajparker
09-08-2003, 08:12 AM
Just out of curiosity, did you try user@domainname.com for the login? I wondered if that might work....

Avery

kb4ob
09-08-2003, 09:11 AM
yes, that was the 1st thing i tried and even changed the password for the autoresponder user. Site manager simply gives me the invalid user or password message.
I also tried logging in by just using the user name only, same results.

ajparker
09-08-2003, 09:26 AM
I haven't tried installing autoresponder yet, but I know on some site manager applications, you'll see a link next to it in the installed applications list - (with phpmyadmin it takes you to yourdomain.com/plugins/PhpMyAdmin for instance...) webalizer does likewise - could it be that you have one for autoresponder that would take you to a yourdomain.com/plugins/autoresponder page to login to?

Haven't tried it myself, but it's a thought...

Avery

paulm
09-09-2003, 03:31 AM
I think I've fount the answer to this one. In Site Manager/Email and FTP Management/Users, if you click on the users name you are taken to the site manager for the user. You can set up the autoresponder from there.
It seemed to work for me anyway,

Paul

wildjokerdesign
09-09-2003, 07:07 AM
Yes I think paulm has the answer. I found the same thing in a couple of my accounts. Clicking on a users name while you are logged into your main site takes you to their Site Manager. You can edit thier password from thier Site Manager if you want to access thier site directly. I think when you first set a user up you give them a passwrod but if the user was migrated from your old account you may not have that password at this point.

wizardofaz
09-09-2003, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the clue about how to find the set up for auto-responder.

I set up both an auto-responder and auto-forwarder for the same address. I would like the sender to get a friendly reply (from the auto-responder) and the mail to be then forwarded to, in this case, two addresses for handling. This used to work on the old system using auto-responder and redirect. In the new system after setting this up I am getting the forwarded mail but not the auto-response. Anybody got an idea about this one?

Bill

paulm
09-09-2003, 01:22 PM
Bill,

I don't know whether this is the best or the only way to do it, but it should work. I have a similar situation and it worked for me. Suppose the mail user you have set up is message@yourdomain.com and that you have the autoresponder set up for this user. Set up an alias for message ( yes I know it's the same name) with a distribution list including the existing message user as well as the address you want to redirect to.
It seems that incoming mail is first checked against the list of aliases and that there is no problem with having an alias name the same as one of the existing mail users.
I hope this makes sense, it's getting late here in the UK and I'm off to the Pub soon!

Paul

wizardofaz
09-09-2003, 04:08 PM
Thanks Paul. Actually, what you suggest is essentially what I used to do on the "1.0" system. It worked, though it seemed to depend on setting up the redirects and auto-responder in the right order (redirect first I think). On the new system it does not seem to work, so I thought I'd try the forwarder instead. The two of those together also didn't seem to work. Since then, I've found another characteristic of the auto-responder - it only replies once to any given email address. Don't see this in the documentation, but it's a fact. Possibly this confused me into thinking it wasn't working.

I quit for now. Got a day job I'm supposed to be doing....

Bill

kb4ob
09-10-2003, 08:25 PM
Thanks Paul:
All I had to do was read the blurb on FTP/Email page :shock:

Now if I could just get Site Manager to respond when I change anything.

It always openes the "Please Wait" window and times me out.