PDA

View Full Version : I need settings for Adobe GoLive to upload my new site

gregshouses
09-06-2003, 11:32 AM
In Adobe GoLive I need to fill in two settings to set up the server upload for my new site and I can't find them in the Westhost manual (and they don't answer their phone anymore or reply to my emails). Anyway, if you use GoLive or can guess what the settings might be...
Server __________
Directory __________

That's it. Thanks ahead of time for any help.

Greg

Bailey
09-10-2003, 09:04 PM
Hi Greg. You probably already got this figured out, but in case not...
server is: yourdomain.com
directory is: www

www will get you to the actual directory where your html docs live.

Hope this helps.

In Adobe GoLive I need to fill in two settings to set up the server upload for my new site and I can't find them in the Westhost manual (and they don't answer their phone anymore or reply to my emails). Anyway, if you use GoLive or can guess what the settings might be...
Server __________
Directory __________

That's it. Thanks ahead of time for any help.

Greg

gregshouses
09-10-2003, 09:15 PM
It didn't work. But thanks for your attempt, Bailey.
People have told me five different things for the Server & Directory. I'm surprised there's no concensus.
Greg

Bailey
09-10-2003, 09:31 PM
Hi Greg. I use BBedit and Dreamweaver, not GoLive, so maybe there's differences, but really shouldn't be. Assuming you're on WestHost 2, try this:
host: yourdomain.com
dir: www/yourdomain/

You can also try with no directory just to see if you can make the connection. I wonder if you are experiencing the same problem with ftp that I had last night. I don't know what it was, but I could not connect on any of my accounts. I went thru the contact us form to report it and it was fixed within a few hours. Let them know and then try to connect again later to see if they've fixed it. I know with the overload due to the upgrade they are not always responding personally, but they are fixing things.

Hope this helps.

It didn't work. But thanks for your attempt, Bailey.
People have told me five different things for the Server & Directory. I'm surprised there's no concensus.
Greg

gregshouses
09-10-2003, 09:36 PM
Didn't work. But thanks.

Bailey
09-10-2003, 09:43 PM
well, it kind of makes sense that you heard five different ways to get to your files. there are several ways. looks like the accounts are set up with symbolic links. It shouldn't matter. There will only be one copy of actual data. I think they actually live here:
/var/www/html

Although if you upload to that other directory I gave you, you'll see them here too.

In any case, whatever directory you choose, you should be able to connect. Test your connection. If that works and all you need is the directory to put them in. I'd say the above should work. If you can't connect, definitely let WH know. I'm sure it's an easy fix as mine was done rather quickly.

gregshouses
09-10-2003, 09:53 PM
The shits at WestHost don't reply to my requests for help. This is the worst company I've ever had the misfortune of dealing with.

Bailey
09-10-2003, 10:09 PM
sorry to hear that. did you just sign up? it is not the best time to evaluate their service and support during this big and difficult upgrade. really, I've been with them for 5 years and this has never been my experience before. Things will get back on track. I can imagine how frustrated you are just wanting to get your site uploaded. Under normal circumstances their support is quick, courteous and very professional. I wish I could have been more help with your ftp issues. Maybe some other user will know the answer. Sometimes we're our own best tech support.

Good luck.