PDA

View Full Version : email here today, gone tomorrow

Mafdet
09-05-2003, 11:31 AM
Hello, I've been attempting to read as much of the forum as possible to find answers so that I don't repeat things. However, most of this stuff is way over my head, so that even if it seems to relate to my problems, I don't know what to do. I'm just going to list the various email issues I"ve had since 2.0 and if anyone can explain them in a way I'll understand, I would really appreciate it.

Site 1
1. I finally got the password situation settled so that I am getting email, but I don't know whether I got all of it. I had it set up so that there was no mail accepted to any name at the domain except library@, sales@, shadow@, branwen@ and forum@ though I don't remember the name of the file where this is located. sales@ is clearly the most important one and it would be good if I could check to see they all got through.

2. Before 2.0 SpamAssassin marked emails as ***POSSIBLE SPAM*** but now it doesn't mark them at all. It does put a bunch of junk about spam in the header. It's also marking half my sales emails as spam in this way. My question is when a return receipt is sent to a customer will he receive an email that tells them it's spam? Their reciept is a copy of the order sent to me, but it's not going to inspire much confidence if they receive email from me marked "This email is probably spam." Also, the customer could have a spam filter that will not allow such mail to get through.

3. In the Site Manage, under E-mail and FTP Management, it only says "no data available." What does that mean? The entire E-mail and FTP Management section appears to be blank, or I suppose set to some default. Do I need to do something here?

4. I'm getting an enormous amount of junk email, 3 or 4 times what I got before (about 500 emails this morning!). I use Pop3Now to review email before downloading it to my computer, but it's becoming very time-consuming to do it. I used to just delete everything marked "possible spam" but now, even if it were marked, I couldn't do that since it thinks my orders are spam.

Site 2
1. A couple of days ago I was still getting email, even after the change to 2.0. Now I get nothing, not even the junk. Eudora is set up with the new passward, and it doesn't tell me the password is wrong, just that there isn't any mail.

2. I think I had that set up to accept only branwen@, but to be honest, I don't remember. And like the other one, I don't know where the file is that set it up.

3. In Site Manager, the email section has one email listed, but it's one I don't use. I didn't even know it was still there. This is a pop-email, right? So where's the info on the regular email? What do I need to control, or at least find, the regular email to this site?

4. If all the junk mail is being collected somewere, that's going to be a problem I'll have to deal with at the time.

I guess that's it right now for email. I'll move on to problems with the message board, search and whatever else comes up. Again, if anyone has sone straght forward, easy to implement solutions, I'd be gareful.

ajparker
09-05-2003, 11:49 AM
I'll see if I can help with at least a couple of these....

Site 1 - 1

You could try the webmail... http://webmail.westhost.com to check each of those address and see if there are any messages "stuck" in those accounts (you might check the primary account too (yourdomain@yourdomain.com) as I saw one case where EVERYTHING got sent to the primary account while things were in limbo.
As for not remembering the file where the information is located. If you log in via ssh (haven't tried ftp to look at this....) you could look at /etc/aliases - that is where all redirects/forwarding should be listed as far as I know. (from the $ prompt type cat /etc/aliases )

2. Spamassassin only marks INCOMING messages, so unless you're replying with the subject intact you're customers shouldn't see the possible spam (spam headers/etc...) The subject rewriting is something that you can configure (as well as the tolerance level of marking possible spam... - of the top of my head I don't know the details but I believe I've seen a thread on that topic. Maybe someone else might paraphrase the "good stuff" for you.

3. no data available in the email and ftp management area - I haven't seen this before - you have no buttons/links in the right hand area? if that's the case - they may be in progress of a few changes. (I've seen reference to a couple changes that seem to be in progress this morning.)

4. I think if I can find the thread on configuring spamassassin - that should help here too...

Here's a snippet I found (this should be some of the settings in the .spamassassin/local.cf file)

# SpamAssassin config file for version 2.5x

# How many hits before a message is considered spam.
required_hits 6

# Whether to change the subject of suspected spam
rewrite_subject true

# Text to prepend to subject if rewrite_subject is used
subject_tag ***SPAM***

It comes from this thread http://forums.westhost.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=282&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15
Which may be of further interest to you.... also note this link
http://eu.spamassassin.org/doc/Mail_SpamAssassin_Conf.html[/url]

ajparker
09-05-2003, 11:55 AM
As for the second site - you might try logging in there to the default account (maybe use webmail again for this.... http://webmail.westhost.com ) to make sure that messages haven't wound up being routed to the default account.

For aliases (redirecting and forwarding...) Login to the site manager - go to email/ftp management - then aliases (on the left hand side....) If you need to here you can add a new email alias (new alias - then email) directing branwen to yourdialup@yourisp.com

Hope that helps....

Avery

Mafdet
09-05-2003, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the help. I'm working on it.

The info on SpamAssassin seems pretty straightforward so far as changing the true/false entries to 1/0. Have to wait for some mail to see what happens.

I can't get webmail to work for either site, so that avenue isn't open at the moment.
Where does the default email go? That is, if there are no aliases, what happens when someone emails that domain, anyname@mydomain.com? Theoretically, that's where email to site 2 should be. I limited it to one name to try to reduce spam, but as I said, I don't remember what the file is. Just searched tons of Westhost support email (over 5 years) but couldn't find the answer. Maybe someone else told me how to do it.

I've looked at the files for Site 1, but I'm afraid to do anything until I'm sure I know what I'm doing (possibly in this lifetime). Most important mail goes there. It doesn't list any aliases, so is that what all those names are? How do I find the primary account?

Anyway, thanks for the SpamAssassin links. That, at least, is starting to make sense. This week has been almost too much for an old witch like me. ;)

ajparker
09-05-2003, 05:31 PM
As to what happens if there are no aliases.....

I had one site that was moved (and there was no catch-all - or any other aliases for that matter.)

When things got to where I could set the aliases, I started wondering about all the test messages I had sent that weren't bounced back... they were indeed in the default account (yourdomain@yourdomain.com...)

It seems like I read the webmail was having some problems earlier today. Hopefully that will be sorted out shortly. Seems like a _lot_ of "fires" for them to put out at once.

Avery

Mafdet
09-06-2003, 02:09 PM
Site 1 seems to be okay now, after I got SpamAssassin working by changing the configuration. However, Site 2 has had no email for several days now, and while most of it is probably junk, I can't believe nothing went there.

I hate to seem like a complete idiot, but how do I get to the default account? And if I do find the email there, how do I get it to go where it's supposed to go.

I'm thinking this has something to do with that file I can't find, the one that says what addresses should be accepted. In Site 1, there were several (sales@, branwen@, etc.) and mail is now going to those, but not to any others (or a default) as far as I know. Site Manager does not have these listed as aliases.

I deleted the alias from Site 2 after looking at the file. It was an email address my son used to use, but mostly had junk in it yesterday. Nothing for me. There is another file in there called "mydomain" but it's empty. I think if I found the file or whatever that's controlling the addresses for the other site, I could set this one back to "myname@" and possibly solve the problem. I just don't know where to look.

Yes, they do seem to have a lot of fires. That's why I've been trying to find answers myself (emails are coming back anyway). At some point however, I really have to get back to work, that and all the homeless kittens! =^,,^=

Mafdet
09-06-2003, 02:18 PM
I just went to webmail and tried to get myname@mydomain.com for Site 1. It went there but said "there are no messages in this mailbox." That's still a mystery.

Site 2 had messages in myname@mydomain.com (most spam). So, whatever was controlling the addresses accepted is no longer working.