PDA

View Full Version : Where is my DB ??????

Oggam
09-03-2003, 06:54 AM
After 4 day fighting to get back my password for e-mail, ftp, telnet and Westhost interface, i got still one big problem: my database disappear!!!!

So my Web site (using the software SPIP www.spip.org) is down!!!

A major part of my business is based on this database so can anybody down here help me! I'm patient but i think that my despair become bigger and bigger: the anger is next step!!!

:evil: :evil: Guiome :evil: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Eric
09-03-2003, 12:46 PM
I have a similar problem. I can find my database, when I login using Telnet/SSH. I can login with the mysql-server only when NOT typing a password, which strikes me as rather odd. When I want to select the database I want to use, I get an error messange that access is denied.

The strange thing is that the show database command lists all databases as it should, including the one I want to use.

The same occurs when i want to connect and select using PHP.

Setting the mysql-password through the sitemanager does not change anything.

To add to the confusing. We have other accounts at Westhost, all of which have been transferred to Westhost 2.0 as well, and they are working fine!

Eric
09-04-2003, 04:21 AM
Meanwhile, I have found out how to connect to and select the database of my account. In one of the other threads it was suggested to try to use the word 'root' as username. This turned out to do the thrick.

The next problem we encountered is that parse errors are not shown anymore (probably for security reasons or so). But this makes debugging of scripts virtually impossible, which is all the more necessary since some of the PHP-scripts that were working fine before are producing blank pages since the tranfer to Westhost 2.0. Since parse errors are not shown anymore, there is no way to find out where it goes wrong.

Hopefully Westhost will respond quickly to our messages.

Eric

Oggam
09-04-2003, 04:37 AM
So my db is back !!! And everything is now good on our Web Site after 5 days full of problems!!!!

:D

hope it will be teh same for you!!!

jalal
09-04-2003, 12:16 PM
The next problem we encountered is that parse errors are not shown anymore (probably for security reasons or so). But this makes debugging of scripts virtually impossible, which is all the more necessary since some of the PHP-scripts that were working fine before are producing blank pages since the tranfer to Westhost 2.0. Since parse errors are not shown anymore, there is no way to find out where it goes wrong.

I've got the same problem... the site 'works', except no data is taken from the database and no errors are shown. Mysterious!
Actually, it seems that some data is appearing, and some tables return nothing at all... I'll post more if I sort it out.

jalal
09-04-2003, 02:53 PM
I've got the same problem... the site 'works', except no data is taken from the database and no errors are shown. Mysterious!
Actually, it seems that some data is appearing, and some tables return nothing at all... I'll post more if I sort it out.

Problem solved.

Turn PHP error checking on to full (in /etc/php.ini).
Restart Apache.
Look for the errors.

I found that one of the MySQL data files had become corrupted somewhere in the transfer, so when MySQL/PHP got to it, the whole process barfed.

Hope that helps someone.

Lorraine
09-07-2003, 12:10 PM
My account has been migrated and now my phpBB database has disappeared.

Oggam~how did you get your db back?

wildjokerdesign
09-07-2003, 12:18 PM
Lorraine check ajparkers post here he was having problems also
http://forums.westhost.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=2892#2892

ajparker
09-07-2003, 12:19 PM
I managed to manually migrate a database by using ssh to login to the old site (by the ip address.) and mysqldump databasename -u username -p > database.sql

It then prompted for the password, which I supplied.
I then copied database.sql over to my home computer and uploaded to the new site (by the domainname.)

Then, I ssh'ed into the newsite (domainname) and typed mysql databasename -u username -p < database.sql (have to be in the directory of the file you've uploaded.)
At first this didn't work - the username/password for mysql was not set.... so...
I also had to go into phpmyadmin (if it's installed it should be at http://yourdomain.com/plugins/PhpMyAdmin ) and there I added a user and password (using the same old username and password name that was setup on the old site - I gave this user all priviliges (for the moment...) After this, I had to go back and run the above command mysql databasename -u username -p < database.sql Again, I was prompted for the password and entered it, a moment passed and I was returned to the command prompt.

Lorraine
09-07-2003, 12:26 PM
wildjokerdesign~ajparker~thank you for your help. I was afraid that was what had happened. Fortunately, Westhost responded to my support ticket quickly enough, so I didn't have to manually migrate it myself.

ajparker
09-07-2003, 12:32 PM
Great - sounds like they're catching up. When I found mine missing, I thought I'd either wait and see if they got to it or do it manually, with the level of calls they've had, I just figured I'd go ahead and do it.

Avery

mjstehn
09-08-2003, 01:43 PM
How do you go about finding your IP address so you can access the old system and bring the databases over?

clint
09-08-2003, 01:45 PM
My old IP address takes me no where - it's gone - I *think* my database exists on the new system (read hope) and it's just a UN / Password issue....

we'll know eventually...

Clint

ajparker
09-08-2003, 01:49 PM
mjstehn - the ip address would be in your initial "westhost new account" email, or... if you used that to setup an ftp program, you may have used it there. Otherwise I don't know any other good answers.

Clint - have you tried using phpmyadmin yet to check on your database?
It should be installable via the site manager.

Avery

clint
09-08-2003, 01:52 PM
Aj - if i had access to my site manager, that'd be the first thing I'd look at. <grin>

Still locked outta my passwords. hehehe

Clint

ajparker
09-08-2003, 02:03 PM
Sorry, I'm losing track....

I hope you can get those soon. Have you tried PM'ing one of the techs... I noticed two of them in the forum a moment ago - it seems as though a couple days ago, they suggested you pm them if you haven't got your login/password.

Avery

clint
09-08-2003, 02:03 PM
Yup, they are working on it as we speak - i believe one of the techs is going to call me and finish it up..i hope.

Clint

Lorraine
09-12-2003, 07:01 PM
What happened?

Everything was fine up until today I tried to get to my phpBB forum and got the same error I had gotten before.

However, now when I try to log into phpMyAdmin I get the follow:
Error

MySQL said:

Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

What have they done?!

Goldpicks
09-13-2003, 02:55 AM
Getting same error lorain...

"Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)"

squidier
09-17-2003, 04:57 AM
I still can't see my php errors.

Jalal wrote

Turn PHP error checking on to full (in /etc/php.ini).
Restart Apache.
Look for the errors.

I can't get this to work. When I go to MyPhpAdmin and do a 'Show PHP information' it says that the php.ini file is at /ftp/usr/lib/php.ini. So I edited this file and changed 'Display Errors' to On. Did a restart, but MyPhpAdmin still shows Display Errors as off.

What am I doing wrong?

Ticket #92031