PDA

View Full Version : Abuseing Web Surfers

wildjokerdesign
08-11-2003, 12:07 PM
I have a site where Puppeteers can post information about themselfs. Recently I have had an individual posting an add for get rich quick schemes on geocities. The first thing I did was remove the post and e-mail the person posting at the e-mail address they had supplied that I had removed it and that they should not post agian. ... They posted again!

I have the e-mail address they supplied (could be false) I also looked in my logs and found the IP address they used the last time they posted. I know the web page is on GeoCities.

Here is my questions... Any one have any ideas on how I can block them from abuseing the site or if there is any way I can report them and to whom I should report them.

I did a look up on the IP address and was not sure what the output could do for me. I found that at http://www.apnic.net/apnic-bin/whois.pl

Here is the IP address and website if anyone is haveing the same problem pluse the e-mail address they supplied.

http://www.geocities.com/ammu271/ah215.html
ammu271@yahoo.com

I know with WestHost 2.0 there will be the ability to block IP's from using accessing my site... but also know that users can fake the IP or use diffrent ones.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.[/url]

torrin
08-11-2003, 01:02 PM
Is it possible for you to become a moderator? In other words, have all info mailed to you and if it passes your approval, then post it, maybe using formmail?

You can always install phpBB (http://www.phpbb.com). :D That software has the controls that you request. They call it banning users. Hmmm . . . now that I look at your site, that may be overkill.

As for reporting it, I guess you could report this to Yahoo! Try here (http://abuse.yahoo.com/). They are harsh though. My wife's E-mail address on Yahoo got used by a spammer and they canceled it without any recourse. They didn't even give her a chance to get her data out (pictures and such). That's why, when I use their service, I keep nothing important there.

SJP
09-03-2003, 07:23 PM
People can't put a message on my site without giving me a real verifiable e-mail address. I have a confirmation scheme. Most spammers aren't going to want to provide this and if they do I'll have more ammo against them and their ISP.

SJP

wildjokerdesign
09-04-2003, 09:08 AM
The e-mail confirm is a good idea. I have never been able to figure out how to make an e-mail confirmation automatic through a script so I have never implemented that. Then again have not really dug very deep into it since I never had much porblem with it. The spammers where supply an e-mail address on the forum which was a Yahoo address... pretty easy to get.... In fact it was one way I was able to contact Yahoo and have thier account removed.... a couple days later they where back with a new e-mail and web page through Yahoo which I did report. It has since stopped happening which I think means Yahoo took some steps to block the IP's that where abusing thier system.

I am planning on using PHBB2 just have to take some time to integrate into my site. The only thing I don't really like about it is that for me... with my limited knowledge.... I am finding it hard to manipulat it's look.

torrin
09-04-2003, 02:35 PM
I am planning on using PHBB2 just have to take some time to integrate into my site. The only thing I don't really like about it is that for me... with my limited knowledge.... I am finding it hard to manipulat it's look.

I was looking into that for my site. After a couple of hours of looking at the code and the templates and such, I decided it was probably too much work, but if you take a look at the phpBB (http://www.phpbb.com) site, you might find some mods to make it easier. I decided not the bother since my site is a personal website.

wildjokerdesign
09-04-2003, 04:33 PM
But wait a min. Torrin I know you use PHbb2... I have been there... in fact as promised I am looking at it know and adding some post.

I also know you did some modifications to it... like your logo at the top. Did you mean you decided not to muck with the tmplates and styles?

gbanse
09-04-2003, 07:24 PM
You could also require a registration process before someone is allowed to post. Require fields like name, address, phone and then add then add a probationary review period of (1 day, week, month??). That will deter any jokers (no pun intended) from posting randomly and certainly weed out the hasty posters in general. But thinning the herd down to quality posters will make your website better all around IMHO.

wildjokerdesign
09-04-2003, 07:45 PM
Yes I have the feeling that I am going to have to go back to that format. When I first started the site I had everything set up that way. I seemed that folks where hesitant to add to the site because of the sign up factor. I then decided to open up some of the sections to posting without haveing to sign up or log in. It did help increase good posting but I think that now is the time to revert back. I think that now that the site is better established and getting more traffic the spamers are finding it and trying to abuse.

Thanks Again for the input!

torrin
09-05-2003, 12:03 PM
I also know you did some modifications to it... like your logo at the top. Did you mean you decided not to muck with the tmplates and styles?

In a nutshell that is correct. phpBB has a lot of things you can customize when it comes to colors and images and such. See all those images below the posts. The ones for Yahoo!, MSN, etc. can all be changed. There are hundreds of colors and styles that you can change. See the images at the top of the page. The ones for FAQ, Search, Memberlist, etc. Those can all be changed. Even the layout can be changed. You can move all those links to FAQ and such to the bottom. I've seen forums that have done just that. It seems like a lot of work to do that. I guess I'm just lazy. Anyway, after I changed the logo and that 1 link, I just left it alone.

One thing I didn't mention is that there is a interface in the admin panel that will allow you to do some color customization. That will probably help make things easier.

torrin
09-05-2003, 12:13 PM
Look at some of the posts in this forum (http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=24), for links to forums where people have made many customizations.

~Faery Babe~
10-13-2003, 04:19 AM
I completely customised my Faery Forum using PHPBB2 - it's not too hard, just have to read up a bit on it at phpbbhacks.com or phpbb.com both good sources. I customised everything down to every button and changed the whole look so you wouldn't know it wasn't custom made from scratch except for the phpbb link i keep at the bottom of the page *g! There are LOTS of cool mods/hacks too and I have added around a dozen, including a portal. phpbb is quite user friendly and customisable I have found. Make sure when you modify your scripts, keep the originals separate and use find and replace! Saves lots of time :)

FB