PDA

View Full Version : Video Games vs. Books

jlavarj
07-27-2003, 01:15 AM
Dostoevsky or Bungie?
JK Rowling or EA?

Which is more satisfying to you? Video games or a good book. Or do you just sit around quoting Army of Darkness constantly?

torrin
07-27-2003, 09:11 AM
Normally, I'd say neither, but that wasn't one of the options so I picked video games.

What I really prefer is taking pictures and coding in C.

jlavarj
07-27-2003, 09:40 PM
Torrin, C or C++? I am a C++ man myself. Been working on anything good?

torrin
07-27-2003, 10:41 PM
Actually both. I enjoy working with both languages, although, I do find myself mixing them.

At work I'm working on a product (http://www.socetset.com/products/socetset/index.htm) that has C and C++ in it. I'll just let the web page speak for itself for now. If you have questions, reply.

At home, I usually stick to scripts although I'll occasionally work on something in C. The last program I wrote was to calculate the optimum percentage of my pay that I should contribute to my 401K under the condition that the company will match 50% of the first 8% of my contributions and the fact that the IRS limit is 12000 dollars. It was pretty interesting, because after I had it working, I started putting in a bunch of different scenarios, like what would the percentage be if the IRS raised the llimit or if my company raised their match, and so on.

jdbaker
07-28-2003, 08:55 AM
I voted for Halo but only because the other choice was a harry potter book. I do beleive that there are some books out there that are better than halo though (I'm not as die hard as you lavar!).

Neo
07-31-2003, 12:07 AM
Ya know, I finally got thought Halo for the first time. I would shutter to know the actual hours spent on accomplishing that. For me it was the first time I have ever beat a video game. Since I haven't' played a lot of video games I found it very satisfying. On the other hand I have also read the first 3 Parrry Hotter books and enjoyed that also. Still, Halo was more fulfilling.

Neo

jlavarj
08-01-2003, 01:36 AM
How about video games and books that are tightly intertwined. Any good, video game playing geek will tell you they've read the Lord of the Rings books. And anyone that likes the Matrix should check out William Gibson's books. Especially Neuromancer.

McBilbo
08-01-2003, 01:41 AM
Yo jlavarj, I've read Neuromancer. It's great. Have you read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson? That's another really good one. I love that cyberpunk stuff. Books all the way. Video games are for the weak minded.

torrin
08-01-2003, 11:39 AM
Video games are for the weak minded.

Ouch! I think it's just another way to pass the time. If fact, it's what I do when I want to relax. Most of the books I read are technical in nature, or they are about finance.

jdbaker
08-01-2003, 01:17 PM
I like games and all, but I really can't play them to relax. Whenever I play videogames I get that guilty feeling like "There is something that I could be doing that is more worth my time right now..." and it just bugs me until I go find it. I can't sit and play for hours and hours. I think I'm more facinated with the technology and seeing what they have been able to accomplish with graphics etc... I remember thinking that ol 8 bit NES or Sega Master System just couldn't be beat and that they were amazing, but now all the hand helds have better technology. It's an expensive habbit too.

Tyger
08-03-2003, 02:53 AM
There are probably words addressed to our condition exactly, which, if we could really hear and understand, would be more salutary than the morning of the spring to our lives, and possibly put a new aspect on the face of things for us. How many a man has dated an new era in his life from the reading of a book!
-Walden, Henry David Thoreau

I enjoy the occasional video game, but books are easily superior. I've read books that have expanded my imagination, that have deepened my understanding, and that have altered the framework through which I see the world. The most I've ever gotten from a video game is an adrenaline buzz and a way to pass the time.

...I know they'd never match
my sweet imagination...
-Paul Simon

jlavarj
08-04-2003, 12:43 AM
Tyger, Obviosly you have not played Knights of the Old Republic on xbox yet. And McBilbo.... You are full of it. I've read Snow Crash and Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. Both are great books that any tech head would enjoy.

For those of you that haven't read it, Snow Crash describes a sort of virtual environment that combines the concept of the web and the sims into one. Of course it's been out for quite a while.

Sci-fi authors are really prophets in disguise.