PDA

View Full Version : PHP under Westhost 2.0

FZ
07-11-2003, 12:14 PM
I just wanted to know if, under Westhost 2.0, we will be able to run PHP as a module (the preferred way) or if it will still be run as CGI (or however it is implemented currently)?

The reason I ask is because some of my scripts, etc. have some problems under the current configuration. I'm sure there are other Westhost clients out there that would also like to use PHP as an Apache Module rather than how it is currently (speak up!).

Thanks!

SueD
07-22-2003, 07:36 PM
My scripts are working with the current setup, and I'm new enough at PHP programming that, if things change, I will probably have trouble figuring out how to make them work again. I went through that recently when a newer version of PHP was introduced (I think). Is it possible to have PHP set up both ways?

FZ
07-23-2003, 11:41 AM
SueD,

I don't think it is possible (or desirable) to have it set up both ways. My question has since been answered as I was chosen to be a beta tester for Westhost 2.0 - they seem to be using it as a module now (i.e. they made the switch as I was hoping they would). Don't be alarmed though, this will NOT affect your scripts in any way whatsoever. Westhost plans to make the transition to Westhost 2.0 as smooth as possible, and this means all your existing scripts will continue to work as they always have (if they don't, you can contact support, or ask for help here on the forum :))

Didn't mean to get you worried :wink:

If you have any more questions about it, let me know.

Alex&er
07-24-2003, 06:47 AM
I am interested in hosting with WestHost but I need to be sure that aMember Pro will work here, now and with WestHost 2.0:

http://membership.cgi-central.net/scripts/amember/

It requires PHP, but I have no idea if it matters whether PHP is a module or CGI. I am asking aMember support for input but I need to be able to tell them for sure how PHP is setup here. Thanks for the help!

Alex, Tucson, AZ

FZ
07-24-2003, 02:28 PM
As I stated in my previous post, (99.9% of) scripts are NOT affected by whether PHP is set up as a CGI executable or as a module. It is only in very rare cases, and these problems occur when using it as a CGI executable, not as a module (as well as the fact that these problems are a result of a PHP bug, not a fault in WestHost's setup). WestHost 2.0 is using PHP as an Apache module, so your scripts will NOT falter. To be more specific about the kind of 'problems' I was talking about: I meant "dynamic URL" pages (e.g. domain.com/news/10/ as opposed to domain.com/news.php?id=10) and Apache Error messages (sometimes a 404 triggers a 500 instead) - these are where my problems are, not with any script in particular. And, like I said, they are solved now that WestHost is using PHP the "proper" way.

gbanse
09-04-2003, 09:16 PM
oog - PHP as a module means I won't be able to specify an older PHP version - that'll cause problems for me on a few sites using older PHP scripts. Simply means I'll need to do some digging and find out what got updated since PHP Version 4.2.3.

But yes most users of PHP won't notice a difference - except maybe a bit faster performance.

FZ
09-04-2003, 09:20 PM
I highly doubt you will have any compatibility problems with scripts you "wrote" under 4.2.3. Besides, I think WestHost is only using 4.3.1 at this stage.

gbanse
09-05-2003, 09:33 AM
Thanks design64 but I know of one site search script that will have troubles. It had problems when I first moved my site to WestHost and after a few days of pulling my hair out I decided to try an older version of PHP the previous host had on its servers. All worked fine - so... time to get a fresh cuppa and roll up the sleeves.

FZ
09-05-2003, 09:44 AM
I would not mind helping you with your PHP script(s) if you need it. Let me know.

radioman
09-05-2003, 11:31 AM
About eight months or so ago I tried to get it installed as a module, but I couldn't convince Westhost. I also had some hair pulling days (can't afford much of that anymore). :)

Design64 -- my site has not yet been transferred, and has significant PHP. I am not the original author (he is no longer available), but I hacked my work-around and was able to get it going when it was first installed.

If this 2.0 change results in more trouble than I can handle, may I enlist your help? PM me with details.

Bill

FZ
09-05-2003, 11:41 AM
I am always willing to help.

radioman
09-05-2003, 11:47 AM
Thank you Sir.

We'll see how it goes... :wink:

FZ
09-05-2003, 11:50 AM
My pleasure ;)

bertran
09-05-2003, 03:54 PM
Did anyone with 'username'-root problem access the DB with PhpMyAdmin? what Username and Password?

Some sites that had the 'username' and root problem but as I've seen most of sites don't have have it, so if this is changed back, our databases won't work again... :-( (otherwise, what will WH write on their user guide?)

WH 2.0 new features are pretty good, I hope this transition won't take long...