PDA

View Full Version : Unified Control Panel/Account Manager?

linkerjpatrick
06-04-2003, 09:26 AM
Will it be possible if one manages several site to have access to them via one login? I've got three through my home business and another one I manage via my full time job and plan on adding more this summer. Of course if I'm at home I can check the passwords, etc. from my files, e-mail or whatever but if I'm away from home with my notebook computer it would be great to log in quickly and make changes on the fly. I'm a little bit uncomfortable about taking my login info either in print form or on my laptop.. I'd rather keep one password and user name in my head than risk the info getting stolen. Also it would keep from having to bookmark a bunch of control panel pages.

Is this what the new account manager is going to do?

WestHost - CSimiskey
06-05-2003, 11:08 AM
Resellers will definitely have this ability (to log into their reseller account and have access to each of their resold domains). Other users it will depend on how you are setup (please note this answer may change as everything is finalized up to the release of 2.0). If all of your domains are billed under one name/credit card, you should be able to have full access to each domain, with one password, that is part of that account group. If they are each under different names/CC's, then no, you most likely won't have a unified login for all of those accounts. Hopefully that helps out....more details will be available as we approach the release of 2.0.

linkerjpatrick
06-05-2003, 11:23 AM
Resellers will definitely have this ability (to log into their reseller account and have access to each of their resold domains). Other users it will depend on how you are setup (please note this answer may change as everything is finalized up to the release of 2.0). If all of your domains are billed under one name/credit card, you should be able to have full access to each domain, with one password, that is part of that account group. If they are each under different names/CC's, then no, you most likely won't have a unified login for all of those accounts. Hopefully that helps out....more deatils will be available as we approach the release of 2.0.

That sound great. Thanks.

wildjokerdesign
07-15-2003, 04:53 PM
I am not a reseller at this point but do have three of my own domains that I would like to consolidate under one login and account. Should I be contacting WestHost about this before they make the change or wait. Pehapes it will be atomatic... I am sure you can tell what belongs to whom by name and CC numbers.

This will be a great improvement.

Would I also combine them in the Site Manager using the Domain Management section?

daucoin
07-22-2003, 10:13 PM
Will there be a demo of this billing system that the users can view before it is made to viewable to the clients of the site?

WestHost - BErickson
08-07-2003, 01:39 AM
Wildjokerdesign: If you have 3 separate accounts, the conversion will put them under 3 different VDSs with 3 different control panels (Site Managers). You will be able to log in to 1 Account Manager to access all of your Site Managers.

You CAN use the domain management section to consolidate accounts as long as your hosting package supports it. All packages support unlimited subdomains, with the exception of the Starter Package (5). Domains have limits set with each package.

E-mail is the only thing that becomes a little difficult when trying to manage multiple sites/domains under one VDS. If you have sales@yourdomain.com, then sales@otherdomain.com and sales@anotherdomain.com would all be captured by one mailbox. It's pretty tricky to get around it. This would be a reason for not condensing accounts under 1 VDS.

Daucoin: A demo of the Account Manager is still weeks away. Although a "Lite" version of Account Manager is available today (with new signups). The more robust version is the last phase of WestHost 2.0 and will be made available once we've completed the conversion of our existing clients to the VDS technology.

wildjokerdesign
09-04-2003, 09:16 AM
Daucoin: A demo of the Account Manager is still weeks away. Although a "Lite" version of Account Manager is available today (with new signups). The more robust version is the last phase of WestHost 2.0 and will be made available once we've completed the conversion of our existing clients to the VDS technology.

I take by this comment that the Account Manager is not yet up and running. I tried a few days ago to log in to it using the info sent in an e-mail and it did not seem to work. Am I right in this assumtion? I know an answer to this is a low priority but thought I would put it out there.

I also wanted to state that I see it that the Account Manager and the Site Manager are two seprate things. I think that some folks may be getting the two confused. I know that even I at times have used the wong term when posting.

ajparker
09-04-2003, 09:53 AM
I had problems logging in initially to the accountmanager (account.westhost.com) - I was able to get a password reset and log in once, then locked out. The next password reset request didn't recognize my email address. I filed a ticket on it and was told that there is an issue with it that they're working to resolve. That was just before everything else blew up..... So... I think it's probably low on their list of problems at the moment.

The glimpse I saw looked very promising though for what it's worth. I'm looking forward to getting back into it.

As for the distinction between the two - I think your right. The account manager gave me links to site managers (links that they told me not to use yet - only half of my sites showed up at that time, but like I said, it really shows promise.) On the main page after I logged in - on the right hand frame there were links to each site manager. Very handy.

Avery