PDA

View Full Version : Site Review!

dahj
05-20-2003, 02:49 PM
I am looking for criticizm (spelled correctly?) and comments on my website that I am currently designing. I've got the basic layout done, and all that remains is expanding the website to include more content. Could anyone please give me their ideas on the design of my website. Is it easy to navigate and find items? Is it pleasing to the eye? Does it make you feel like trusting my company? Any suggestions?

My website is:

http://www.seriousoutdoorgear.com/

Thanks..

ashitaka
05-20-2003, 07:57 PM
I like it alot. Very simple navigation, fast loading. I couldnt find anything wrong with it. Looks proffessional. The images are small, but thats what makes it fast. you could probably make the thumbnails bigger without making it too long to load, but they look good either way. Full size images could be bigger though, but its always a tradeoff.
I've heard it helps alot to display your toll free number on every page. Im no expert, but a very good site.

torrin
05-20-2003, 10:45 PM
This is a wonderful page. The only thing I think is missing is an about page about your company. Who started it, when, etc. Good luck.

Tyger
08-03-2003, 03:16 AM
I like it a lot. It is simple, straightforward and instantly understandable.

Are you using Miva? I'm assuming so, but it is hard to tell because you've added so much of your own look and feel, which is impressive.

Only one thing stood out to me. I didn't think that the "Search" button had enough contrast. Compare that to your "Keep Shopping" and "Checkout" buttons. I think they are very striking--nice and clean. I would go with white text on all of your buttons.

wildjokerdesign
08-04-2003, 10:17 AM
Very nice sit indeed! Very clean and loads fast. Two things about Search... I agree with Tyger that it could stand out more. I also think it would be great if you could have the Search feature on each page instead of just the font page. You might also want to add the Join Mailinglist box to each page also.

I agree with Torrin that an "About Page" with information about the company history would be a good thing. I can see a customer wondering if this is just a fly by night internet company. If the company also has a physical store perhaps the page could have a picture of the store front.

dahj
09-15-2003, 07:47 PM
Wow, I sort of lost time on reading the comments that people were posting. Thanks for all of your thoughts. I'll work on an about page, I was actually going to wait until we were a little bit more established (a year or so, which is actually coming up pretty soon). In response to the question above.

Yes, I use Miva, but only for my shopping cart. I plug into the shopping cart from the product page. I believe and can attest to the fact that having a non-generated HTML page will help with search engine rankings. Besides, I don't like the fact that you can't completely customize Miva Merchant, there's a lot that you just can't modify without modifying the source code.

But once again, thank you for your opinions.

wildjokerdesign
09-15-2003, 09:03 PM
Wow, I sort of lost time on reading the comments that people were posting... I believe and can attest to the fact that having a non-generated HTML page will help with search engine rankings. Besides, I don't like the fact that you can't completely customize Miva Merchant, there's a lot that you just can't modify without modifying the source code.

Same here I almost forgot there where other threads... :)
You are very right about the search engins. I have one site that runs of databases and generates html. I re-worked my script not to long ago to also create an html page for the data. This acomplished two things. The first is that the page I have it create is simple html with no fancy stuff and not images. That way users who whant quick loading pages with no junk can use those pages to browse. They miss out on all the fancy stuff but they don't want it anyway. It also really helped me with the search engins. Almost half of my viewers are now entering the site through my static pages.
I always hated the carts for the fact that you had very little control over the look. I have set up a few but spend so much time altering code it really is a headache. Luckly I have been able to convince most clients they really don't need one... :D

dahj
09-17-2003, 09:16 AM
It also really helped me with the search engines. Almost half of my viewers are now entering the site through [my] static pages.

Static HTML is honestly the way to go if you are looking at getting into the search engine rankings. If you take a look at any large dynamically generated web store, you won't find them in most of the searches for products that you do on the internet. However you will occasionally run across them.

All of the pages on my website are static HTML pages. It has worked out extremely well for me and I'm finding it very successful.

I had a question, but now I forgot it. Oops.

SJP
09-17-2003, 01:26 PM
I suggest that large dynamically generated web-sites could too contribute keywords if the data used was stored as ordinary files. I see search engines accessing my data pages. This would be the same scenario as if they were accessing static pages and my site is entirely dynamically generated. The only thing static are a handful of HTML pages that serve more-less as templates.

SJP

~Faery Babe~
10-13-2003, 03:52 AM
I tried to check out your site but i got a 404, the server is down.

FB

SJP
10-14-2003, 02:36 AM
I tried to check out your site but i got a 404, the server is down.

Hell of a time (2:52 am). That was during the planned outage. But, thanks for trying. I'm open to any critisism or flattery :lol: This is kind of my first "real" effort. I put that in quotes, because I tried reselling something else that was a complete flop, but very educational :oops:

SJP

calgarysaracens
01-11-2004, 03:43 PM
Take a look:

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.seriousoutdoorgear.com/