PDA

View Full Version : Please view and give feedback :)

mattlamb
05-08-2003, 06:25 PM
my site

http://www.1acandles.com

built on a mac so let me know if it looks odd on your PC.

Thanks

Matt

bmason
05-09-2003, 01:28 PM
The upper nav bar could use alt attributes on the hotspots, for easier accessibility. (A text equivalent to the nav bar as a footer doesn't hurt.)

Also, with the most common forms of colorblindness the highlight color of the Specials link just washes out.

Shouldn't the TM mark come after the company name, not before?

To my eyes, the large Votive Candles link in the left nav looks out of place. It doesn't fit the style of the rest of the page.

I would just use null alt attributes
alt="" for the thumbnails. The same text is right below anyway, so the alt as it is just means anyone uses a screen reader gets the description read to them twice.

In the left nav "Night light" link, the ending "t" is hanging outside the link.

I didn't even realize there was text after the thumbnails under I went looking to see if there's a text nav footer. There's no visual cue and on my setup the entire text falls "below the fold."

There's a large amount of whitespace between the Google candleholders link and the text that follows. It looks completely disconnected....

Anonymous
05-09-2003, 03:44 PM
Matt,

Fist off, I think your site is very clear, if I was looking to buy a candle, I could easily find one and put it in my basket. Some suggestions I can make are:

1. develop a guide for your fonts, colors, backgrounds, navigation etc. and stick with it. Some pages had such a different look and feel to the point it could have been a different site.

2. have you thought about coming up with a logo? That is a great way to increase the branding of your site and increase name recognition.

3. Organize the layout of the "miscellaneous" information in a way that is more compelling to learn more. For example, your link for "We sell discount boxed VOTIVE candles for weddings and parties" doesn't stand out very much, as well as the link for wholesellers enter a different part of the site. Perhaps creating a site map will make it easier to see the "big picture" and put things in an easy to find location.

Selling online is very similar to selling in a physical store, you want your customers to be able to come in and help them easily identify what they are looking for as well as beneficial information on the subject that will keep them coming back.

I hope this is helpful, you do have a great start, now you have the chance to refine your store.

WestHost - MStevenson
05-09-2003, 05:04 PM
Just a follow up on Jennifer's comments about getting a logo. I thought I would mention this site I came across the other day that designs really affordable logos. The site is http://www.gotlogos.com/.

For $25 you can have them design a logo for your site. I have never used their service, but just browsing through their portfolio of logos they have designed, I was really impressed with the quality of logos they designed for that price.

If anyone here has used this company please let us know if this deal really is as good as it seems.

joelphil
05-10-2003, 12:14 AM
Matt,
I'm on a Mac running Mac OS X 10.2.6 using IE 5.2 and your fonts look really small on left side navigation section. You might want to try using Stylesheets for your site and that will alleviate the inconsistent font sizes.
Fonts on a windows machine are usually 2 or 3 points bigger then on a Mac depending on the font. Try and use sans-serif font they read better and using CSS will make a big difference.

I like the font sizes on this page:

http://www.1acandles.com/pages/sconces.html

and keep the pages white, easier to read.
I like your front page and it says what you are all about, you might want to get some type of logo.

Keep up the good work, : )

mattlamb
05-10-2003, 11:01 AM
I really appreciate you taking the time to give me an insight into how others view the site, it is hard to have perspective when you have been working on it so long.

I will try to work out style sheets as I have been meaning to for a while.

The Ugly " VOTIVE CANDLES" at the top left is a key ingredient in my Google listing as this text at this size lets google know we are really important for the term Votive candles.
Along with the rest of the techniques learnt on webmasterworld.com it has helped me get 1acandles.com to # 1 in google for "Votive candles", and #2 & 3 for "votives" and "votive".

I am keen to make text size and appearance changes , but of course would be very careful about major changes as google is vey picky about its algo and I dont want to lose my positions for keywords.

Thanks again all for your help !

bmason
05-10-2003, 12:05 PM
The Ugly " VOTIVE CANDLES" at the top left is a key ingredient in my Google listing as this text at this size lets google know we are really important for the term Votive candles.

You should definitely explore what CSS can do then, as was suggested earlier. Google is keying on the fact that you have "Votive Candles" in an H2 tag. (I'm not sure that's semantically appropriate, but leaving that aside.) With CSS you can change the look of the text while maintaining that tag. Google doesn't care what the text looks like; it's the HTML tag it weighs the importance of.

wildjokerdesign
06-17-2003, 02:57 PM
I must say that your product images are very good. They show up well and sell your project. Your shadow casters are especially well done they have captured the intent of the product.

As mentioned befor I would encourage staying with one background color. Also I did get a bit lost when clicking on some of your products because it sent me to a page that had no branding on it just the product. I belive that was on the Votive page 5. If for some reason someone entered your site on one of these pages they would have no way of knowing what company they where dealing with. example page : http://www.1acandles.com/pages/8.html. I simply used my back button.

On my sites I always try to keep all pages within my site branding or I use pop up windows (not the best solution).

It is truley a nice site over all and I imagin I will be back to visit it as a customer... I think my sister needs some of your shadow spikes :D

rick
06-21-2003, 11:47 AM
I've use them before, just filled in the form and paid, four days later I get the logo in the mail
http://www.diamondphotographers.com/images/diamondphotgraphers_trans.gif

worked great in my case cause I can't draw worth a &$#^

Just a follow up on Jennifer's comments about getting a logo. I thought I would mention this site I came across the other day that designs really affordable logos. The site is http://www.gotlogos.com/.

For $25 you can have them design a logo for your site. I have never used their service, but just browsing through their portfolio of logos they have designed, I was really impressed with the quality of logos they designed for that price.

If anyone here has used this company please let us know if this deal really is as good as it seems.

visualray
09-08-2003, 06:58 AM
I just wanted to add that you should look into Virtual PC. I know that some have complained that it doesn't work fast enough, but for testing the work you have done it's fast enough.

A while back I created a site with frames that looked great on the Mac at my office, but when I viewed them on a PC the site was unviewable. The best solution, which I had for a while, is to get a cheap pc with a KVM switch and have them both on the same network.