PDA

View Full Version : Enhanced site stats package?

ideaworks
05-07-2003, 04:21 PM
Am I the only one who wonders why WestHost, with its fine-tuned awareness of what its clients need to provide a robust web presence, has not enhanced the stats package? Providing the shopping cart FREE and not updating the usefullness of the stats package really seems odd, doesn't it?

I've placed more than a have a half dozen sites on WestHost, and this is the ONLY thing that has caused me any bother at all.

Thanks.

- Bob Lema

torrin
05-07-2003, 09:13 PM
Have you tried webalizer? You can access it through the control panel.

WestHost - CSimiskey
05-07-2003, 09:20 PM
We are open to suggestions as to what you think would be a good replacement for wusage or webalizer, keeping in mind that it would need to be free for us to be able to offer to you, our clients. If we don't hear feedback, we don't always know that there is a problem, so if you have complaints, or more importantly and more helpful, solutions or options to fix the complaints, please let us know so that we can work on getting them taken care of for you. Thank you for helping make WestHost a better place to host.

Meowhoo
06-01-2003, 08:04 AM
I use wusage - wasn't aware of another option and I'm not happy with it. Many of the stats it's supposed to monitor don't show up at all. Those that do I'm pretty skeptic about... I use hitbox.com on one of my sites and it shows me pretty different data... Guess I'll give webalizer a chance :)

MrRat
06-05-2003, 10:15 AM
the problem isn't with wusage, it's a great package. the problem is with the lack of referer in the logs.

WestHost - CSimiskey
06-05-2003, 10:54 AM
If you need referrers included with your logs, we can add that for you for a $10 setup fee. You can order that here:
https://corp.westhost.com/addons/

arsenic
06-06-2003, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the question about referrers, I had the same one. I guess $10 is fine, but here's a question. On the signup page it says it will enhance Wusage, but will the referrers also show up in Webalizer as well? I would think they would, but I just want to check before I pay for the service to be installed.

Anonymous
06-06-2003, 04:31 PM
Yes, the referrers will show up in Webalizer if you have them installed on your account.

MacToph
06-26-2003, 08:43 AM
I haven't used it yet, but this open source log analyzer looks to be heads and shoulders above either wusage or webalizer:

http://awstats.sourceforge.net/

It also states that

AWStats works from the command line but also as a CGI, it can work with major web hosting provider that allows CGI and log access

It also has a list of hosting providers (http://awstats.sourceforge.net/awstats_whp.html) that are already using it and a great demo. (http://awstats.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/awstats.pl)

Take a look.

WestHost - CSimiskey
06-27-2003, 12:00 PM
In need/want of something besides the packages that we at WestHost provide, I found awstats as well and will verify that it works wonderfully.

Yukon
07-03-2003, 10:05 PM
My only real issue with the wusage stats is the limit of 10 Refers. I'd like at least 20, preferably a complete list.

Murray

Deni
08-31-2003, 08:10 PM
Someone posted AWSTATS is better than wusage and webalizer
and that some hosts install and configure it for their customers.

Is this something that WestHost will do either for free or for a fee?

I don't mind paying extra for something good - - particularly when it comes to Web stats.

http://awstats.sourceforge.net/

Thanks,

Deni

FZ
08-31-2003, 08:50 PM
With WestHost 2.0 you will be able to install any programs you want on your account yourself through SSH (therefore no charge). So, if you don't like wusage or webalizer, no need to install/use them at all - install and use AWSTATS instead! :)

ErickJensen
09-28-2003, 01:43 AM
I've installed AwStats myself and it is so much better than Wusage or Webalizer (easier to use, cleaner interface, etc). It would be nice to have the abililty to install it via "Site Applications" since you have to do a couple of things to get it working right (config options, cron job, etc.).

FZ
09-28-2003, 06:55 AM
I've also replaced Webalizer with AWstats. About adding it to the Site Applications, you could argue forever what should be there... But of course they can't add every single possible program to it! At least we have the access privileges to install things ourself now - which is a killer feature. Also, you don't necessarily have to add it as a cron job - there is a config option that adds an "Update now" link to it which you can use. The only thing I miss about Webalizer (on 2.0) is that it was live (going to webalizer.cgi automatically updated the stats). For some weird reason, I don't have Wusage in my site applications so I've never been able to play with it.

wildjokerdesign
09-28-2003, 07:59 AM
I to noticed the absence of Wusage in the site applications. I tried to looking for refrence to it in the new manual and could not find it. I wonder if it is not part of 2.0.

I have mentioned this in other post that I use sitemeter on many of my sites. It is basicly a counter although you can set it to not display the count but a small icon box. It is a free service of www.sitemeter.com that is simple cut and past into your html. They offer a pay version that allows more reports and a gives you the option to "hide" the count/icon.

Now that we can install our own stuff I think I will take a look at the AWstats program and see how it works. This brings one question to mind. Both Webalizer and Wusage creates alot of directories and files on your account and I was wondering if when you uninstall either if it erases all the files?

FZ
09-28-2003, 10:05 AM
While we are on the topic, have you tried the eXTReMe tracker (http://www.extreme-dm.com)? I think it is the best out there (though I have no use for it now that I have AWStats/Webalizer). I was using it when I did not have referer logs.

Anyway, to answer your question about the "clean uninstall" - no. It does not look like it removed everything (I'm talking about Webalizer). Looks like it removed all the files, but the "Webalizers" directory is still there in the "plugins" directory. Not a major problem though - it's an empty directory anyway.

As for Wusage, I'm pretty sure version 8.0 is supposed to be available in the Site Applications... Must have read it in the manual somewhere. But it's not a problem, I never liked version 7.0 anyway!

wildjokerdesign
09-28-2003, 10:45 AM
Looks like eXTReMe tracker is similar to SiteMeter althogh with sitemanager you can use it on all your pages and it will track the each visitors progress through your site. Also looks like some of the reports that you get for free at eXTReMe are ones that you have to pay extra for at SiteMeter. Looks like each have thier advantages but are pretty much the same thing.

summitlake
09-28-2003, 11:02 AM
After you install Wusage 8.0, in the Applications/Tools section of the Control Panel 2.0, it is then listed as an installed application in the right hand panel of the window.

At that point, is it supposed to be installed and functional?

In this right panel, under the installed Wusage 8.0 listing, there are two links: "Wusage 8.0", and "Link".

(a) Clicking "Link" brings you to the wusage reports calendar [mine is permanently stuck on 9/21/03, the date of the last of 4 install attempts].

(b) Clicking on the "Wusage 8.0" link is supposed to do -- what ?? When I click it I get a "User does not have access" message. Does anybody know? :roll:

summitlake
09-28-2003, 11:07 AM
WildJokerDesign, uninstalling wusage DOES remove all the files it generated on install. As far as I can tell, it only removes those files. Wusage files under 1.0 are renamed to the wusage.old folder, and presumably could be merged for continuity if you were using it before (I think it was automatic, and I liked it just fine for my simple needs).

I have tried installing and uninstalling several times. There is never anything left that I can find in WS_FTP_Pro after an uninstall. Cheers --

Mafdet
09-28-2003, 03:33 PM
summitlake, I get the same response clicking on the installed Wusage links, one goes to stats for 9/12 (no idea why) and the other to a "no access" message. I don't even look in the file manager anymore - so many files give me a headache. :cry:

I've used eXTReMe tracker for years and it's fine for a counter and for a quick look at recent visitors and such, but I still need something more comprehensive. I suppose Webalizer can be configured to show the same stats as the old Wusage, but I don't know how to do it. Westhost set up Wusage for me when I told them what I needed.

I used Wusage to show referrers to specific pages and images. Once in a while I have to track down at least some of the people linking directly to my sites and stealing images as well as bandwidth. It's only a small part of the theft problem, but I guess it makes me feel better than doing nothing.

Okay, stupid questions :roll:
1) I uninstalled Webalizer, thinking maybe Wusage would work without the other overriding it. Was this a mistake? I can't tell since I can't get recent stats anywhere now.
2) Are there any programs out there that you can choose which things you want to see? I could care less about accesses by hour, by file types and a bunch of the others.
3) Is it possible to get the old Wusage back? (I hate upgrades - I'm far too old to keep re-learning everything.)
4) Is there a link to where I can reconfigure Wusage 8.0? They appear to have a "stolen objects" option, but nothing appears there now and I know of several sites that consistently use images from one or both of my sites.
5) What link am I supposed to use to get to Wusage? Maybe using the old link is why I only get old data.

My next step in dealing with all this is to go back to what I understand - magick. I should create a spell for getting computer problems fixed or helping me understand them...hmm, communication, air, Mercury, tiger's eye, Rowan, allspice, bergamot, yellow candles, ...I'll come up with something. :wink:

wildjokerdesign
09-28-2003, 06:16 PM
Mafdet,

If you get that spell worked out I want it... :)

Ok Wusage seems to back in my options so I will install a copy on one of my accounts and see what I can come up with in the line of answers to your questions.

Shawn

summitlake
10-03-2003, 11:46 PM
Sorry, guys, I haven't been out here in a few days. I dumped Wusage and am finding everything I want in Webalizer. And that's not really a lot.

I haver a ton of pages on my site, so one or more simple counters don't really give a site-wide picture. I like looking at the top 20, referrers and several other features wusage and webalizer have in common, but all I really need are site "visits" and "pages". This is found on a single HTML page. I wrote a simple routine to extract those figures from the page so I can display them with my home page counter. QED.

Yes, it's OK to uninstall Webalizer. That's what I did too, trying to get wusage to work. I bet they never got the cron set up for wusage. Anyway, I uninstalled wusage and reinstalled Webalizer again and it works great. Plus there is a plain Webalizer config file you can see and tweak directly if you don't want to wade through the control panel.

Meowhoo
01-25-2004, 08:46 AM
Another vote for installing AWstats for us! I am going to install it myself - but there's quite a bit of server tweaking needed there - so I would really prefer it if WH offered this application to start with. Chris - how can I add the referrer logs on a dedicated server? I think I have actually paid the $10 once for one of my accounts a while back (before I moved to dedicated).

jalal
01-25-2004, 12:55 PM
I use AWStats on all my sites (and my clients sites). I've put together a package at http://www.gnomedia.com/cw/westhost/awstats.php

HTH