PDA

View Full Version : Email aliases

Dubliner
05-06-2003, 10:25 PM
When somebody sends an email to an address that is not listed (when I do not set "default"), it does not reach me. That's ok, because it's supposed to be that way. But it seems like the email is not bounced back to the sender either. Is there any way to change the setting so that such emails are bounced back to senders?

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

WestHost - CSimiskey
05-08-2003, 05:53 PM
You can get the messages to bounce by adding this line to your .redirect file:

default unknown_user

For more in depth instructions on editing your .redirect file, please visit Part 9 of the WestHost Online Manual: Advanced E-mail Configuration (http://www.manual.westhost.com/part9.html#ae-redirect). You can also do this with the control panel, instructions for that are located in Part 4 of the WestHost Online Manual: Control Panel E-mail Forwarding (http://www.manual.westhost.com/part4.html#cp-redirect).

Adding that line to your e-mail forwarding file tells our mail system to send out the "Unknown User" message instead of sending the email off into the ether.

trilicom
09-03-2003, 06:18 PM
Can this be done with the new, improved system? The .redirect file doesn't seem to do anything anymore, as far as I can tell.

lreeder
09-03-2003, 06:58 PM
I posted this to the wrong question. Sorry.

If your account doesn't have a "catch all" address and you've been upgraded to 2.0, log into to your control panel, go to E-Mail/FTP-->Aliases-->New and click on the Catch All button.

Lorel509
09-04-2003, 07:33 AM
CSimiskey said we could find email forwarding info in part 9 of the manual. That is not true--that section of the manual is for Miva Merchant only as you will see if you follow the link provided.

Even the help needed under these emergency conditions in this forum is flawed.

Lorel509
09-04-2003, 07:39 AM
CSimiskey said we could find email forwarding info in part 9 of the manual. That is not true--that section of the manual is for Miva Merchant only as you will see if you follow the link provided.

Even the help needed under these emergency conditions in this forum is flawed.

ajparker
09-04-2003, 07:53 AM
The help is probably flawed because they've been putting in extremely long hours to try to get everything right.

Section 9 of the old manual (version 1) was the advanced email configuration.

In the new Manual email configuration is in section 4.

http://manual.westhost.com/part4.html#ftpmanagement

The above link should take you to the email section.

Avery

Lorel509
09-04-2003, 10:46 AM
>In the new Manual email configuration is in section 4.

>http://manual.westhost.com/part4.html#ftpmanagement

>The above link should take you to the email section.

There is nothing in there about email forwarding.

I want to forward the "info" address that I have set up to an offsite email because the instructions they gave for accessing onsite email don't work on my version of Eudora (latest version available) unless I want to delete my current email sttings every time I check my westhost email--which I'm not about to do.

ajparker
09-04-2003, 10:50 AM
Scroll down just a shade and look at aliases - this is what they are now calling forwarding.

Catch all
email
list
and command alias setup IS covered if you will read on just a little bit.

Avery

lreeder
09-04-2003, 10:54 AM
>I want to forward the "info" address that I have set up to an offsite email

You're on the new system right? Login to your account manager. Click on E-Mail/FTP-->Aliases. Click on New Alias-->E-Mail. Enter Info in the 1st field, the e-maill address you want it forwarded to in the second field and click Finish.

Lorel509
09-04-2003, 12:39 PM
>lreeder

>You're on the new system right? Login to your account manager. Click on E-Mail/FTP-->Aliases. Click on New Alias-->E-Mail. Enter Info in the 1st field, the e-maill address you want it forwarded to in the second field and click Finish.

Thanks. That worked but the darn "are you sure you want to close" when I hit finish locks up the page every time and I have to close the browser window to get out of there. It appears to save the changes however. Those pop up windows telling me to wait are annoying too--I could be reading the text if that darn window wasn't there.

>ajparker

>Scroll down just a shade and look at aliases - this is what they are now calling forwarding.

I don't know why they had to call it aliases--an alias is a fake name it has nothing to do with forwarding. NO WONDER people are having so many problems navigating around this new manual!!!!!!

grrrrr!!! There isn't an emoticon availble to represent my frustration.

But thanks for your help.

wildjokerdesign
09-04-2003, 05:46 PM
Here is the link to the old manual about Advanced E-mail configuration.
http://manual.westhost.com/v1/part9.html#ae-redirect

Just in case anyone want to check it out. I did here in anouther post that someone was haveing a problem finding the redirect file... so beware... :)