PDA

View Full Version : Redmine or Chiliproject installation guide/help.

GamePlayHeaven
03-27-2014, 07:36 AM
Hello,

Does anyone know if it's possible to install redmine or chiliproject?
My account uses a site manager, and I can install ruby (but have no option for ruby+rails).

Should I not use the ruby install from the site manager, and install it by hand?
I tried that, but run into issues due to not being able to use sudo.

So I figured I'd ask here, before I spend another day on it... Maybe it's not possible, and then I'm just wasting my time.

PS. I did find a few links, but they all seem to be for old builds of ruby and they don't work with the later builds (like the last 1.9.3 version).

Kind regards, and many thanks in advance for any help!
MichaŽl

wildjokerdesign
03-27-2014, 08:29 AM
Well you should have a Ruby + Rails option in Site Manager, not sure how current it is though. That being said if you want to install Ruby via Site Manager you should then be able to run the following once it is installed in order to add rails

$ cd /usr/local/ruby/bin
$ ruby gem install rails
I have not done this but guessing from older post I've found on this, along with some info on adding rails to a ruby install. that this is what would be needed. Might be worth a try and shouldn't take that much time to run. Note that in the Site Manager install you need to change directory to where it was installed in order to run commands via SSH.

wildjokerdesign
03-27-2014, 08:44 AM
You know it may just be easier in the long run to go with an alternative to a Ruby+Rails project management system. Found a PHP option. https://info.tiki.org/ Also found a Pearl alternative. http://www.bugzilla.org/

GamePlayHeaven
04-01-2014, 01:32 AM
I only have ruby 1.9.3 in my site manager.

When I try to install rails, like you proposed, I get the following error:
[/usr/local/ruby/bin]$ ruby gem install rails
/usr/local/ruby-1.9.3/lib/ruby/1.9.1/yaml.rb:56:in `<top (required)>':
It seems your ruby installation is missing psych (for YAML output).
To eliminate this warning, please install libyaml and reinstall your ruby.
Building native extensions. This could take a while...
ERROR: Error installing rails:
ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

/usr/local/ruby-1.9.3/bin/ruby extconf.rb
mkmf.rb can't find header files for ruby at /usr/local/ruby-1.9.3/lib/ruby/include/ruby.h

Gem files will remain installed in /usr/local/ruby-1.9.3/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/atomic-1.1.16 for inspection.
Results logged to /usr/local/ruby-1.9.3/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/atomic-1.1.16/ext/gem_make.out

I already have Mantis installed for PHP bug tracking, but I have better user experience with redmine, that's why I was looking into trying to get it installed.

Thanks for the help though :)

Kind regards,
MichaŽl

wildjokerdesign
04-01-2014, 06:24 AM
Michael,

It seems to be complaining about missing http://pyyaml.org/wiki/LibYAML You can try downloading it and installing it then you need to re-install Ruby after that from what I've read.

GamePlayHeaven
04-08-2014, 12:45 AM
After some support from westhost I got everything installed.

I did have to install ruby manually (using prefixes to avoid root problems upon "make install").
This is because the ruby install from westhost is missing stuff (like sources and more), which stopped me dead in my tracks :)

I get the --prefix concept now, of installing stuff in usr/local/bin, and then adjusting my PATH to include this before the normal path.

Thanks for all the help!

Kind regards,
MichaŽl

wildjokerdesign
04-08-2014, 04:41 AM
Your welcome Michael. Gee wish I could get those cool dots over my "e"s. :)

I thought I had posted this here but guess I missed it. This is a really old out of date page from back when Site Manager was the main plateform here but it still has some valid info and great tips. http://www.domsch.com/westhost/ While Matt does not always make use of --prefix there are times it is needed. In fact he often installs things in /home/[username] and has /home/[username]/lib in his /etc/ld.so.conf. He then runs ldconfig to update his libraries after installing something like this. About half way down the page he details that with ImageMagick