PDA

View Full Version : Transfer from GoDaddy.com to Westhost.com

duanedfish@yahoo.com
09-16-2012, 05:54 PM
I have a few domains and hosting that I need to have transferred from GoDaddy.com to WestHost.com, but I can't find any documentation anywhere that lists the steps to do this.

I have tried the Live Chat and they said I had to wait until Billing comes online Monday morning..

Can anyone point me in a better direction?

Thanks!

wildjokerdesign
09-16-2012, 07:10 PM
Interesting. I would think that the first step would simply to order the hosting for the domains here at WestHost and then start moving the domain files over to the new servers here at WestHost. If you where wanting WestHost to make the move of files to the servers here then that would most likely have to happen on Monday (or at least start then) since the techs that do that have a regular week work Monday thru Friday but not sure why that involves the billing department. It has been a while since I worked with a GoDaddy account. Do they use cPanel like WestHost does? If that is the case and the GoDaddy system allows it then there are backup facilities built into cPanel that allows you to back the account up and download then you can much easier use that back up here at WestHost.

duanedfish@yahoo.com
09-16-2012, 08:02 PM
I have no desire for Westhost to move any of my data - I only want to transfer domains so I can continue on with the website but with WestHost and not GoDaddy. It's simply the process that I'm asking about. There's just NOTHING out there that gives any clear picture of this. I would think that WestHost would have something with screen shots that shows how to do this since GoDaddy is so huge.

GoDaddy doesn't use CPanel (and I'm not sure how "industry-standard CPanel is). They have their own interface (which is in some instances, a whole lot easier to work with than CPanel, IMO).

Let's say for example, I choose "Preferred Hosting" as the hosting package.

1. From Westhost.com, select, "View Web Hosting Plans"
2. Click "Preferred Hosting" by clicking the "Get Started" link
3. Since you are using an existing domain and want to transfer it to WestHost, enter the domain name in the second box, "Option Two: Use Existing Domain Name", then click Next. (Be sure to select the correct domain suffix with the drop-down box.)
4. Enter your Billing Information
5. Here's how to get your EPP / Authorization Code from GoDaddy.com -
a) Log into GoDaddy.com with your account
etc....

See what I mean?

Interesting. I would think that the first step would simply to order the hosting for the domains here at WestHost and then start moving the domain files over to the new servers here at WestHost. If you where wanting WestHost to make the move of files to the servers here then that would most likely have to happen on Monday (or at least start then) since the techs that do that have a regular week work Monday thru Friday but not sure why that involves the billing department. It has been a while since I worked with a GoDaddy account. Do they use cPanel like WestHost does? If that is the case and the GoDaddy system allows it then there are backup facilities built into cPanel that allows you to back the account up and download then you can much easier use that back up here at WestHost.

wildjokerdesign
09-16-2012, 08:09 PM
So you are wanting to also move registration of the domains to WestHost not just hosting? If not then all you need to do is log into GoDaddy and change the nameservers that the domains are set to once you have all your files uploaded on to the WestHost servers. Perhaps I am missing something here.... I feel that I am. :)

wildjokerdesign
09-16-2012, 08:12 PM
Also just in case you are trying to transfer the registration or get things unlocked at goDaddy. http://support.godaddy.com/help/article/410/locking-and-unlocking-your-domain-names

There is no way that WestHost would be able to keep up with changes at GoDaddy and provide instructions. You have to rely on the documentation that goDaddy supplies.

wildjokerdesign
09-16-2012, 08:23 PM
If you are looking for the authorization code from goDaddy. http://support.godaddy.com/help/article/1685/getting-an-authorization-code-to-transfer-your-domain-name Note while they have a page that is about getting the code from other registrars, it essentially says to check the other registrars site. :)

Here is WestHost take on domain and registration.... http://www.westhost.com/faq/domain-registration/#TransferDomain You might be right that it might need just a bit of beefing up. Maybe even stating that you need to search out at the old registrar how to get the EPP. I would say they might link to some of the bigger sites help pages there but the problem is that links often change for such things. I think it is better to be armed with the correct terms so you can find the right spot on the other site. Might be nice to have links to the FAQ in the order form. Been some time since I went through the order process... No help links there?

duanedfish@yahoo.com
09-16-2012, 08:37 PM
Sure there is - it's called "Knowing Your Competition 101".

I would think that someone from WestHost would have an account with GoDaddy just so they can better help their customers make a smoother transition from one to another.

In any case, I was able to finally get Google to work for me and get this figured out. And if I can do it, anyone can, I suppose. ;-)

Thanks for your help just the same!

Also just in case you are trying to transfer the registration or get things unlocked at goDaddy. http://support.godaddy.com/help/article/410/locking-and-unlocking-your-domain-names

There is no way that WestHost would be able to keep up with changes at GoDaddy and provide instructions. You have to rely on the documentation that goDaddy supplies.

wildjokerdesign
09-16-2012, 08:47 PM
Glad you got it worked out. Wish I would have caught your post earlier. Might have been able to save you some headache. So did the link to their help page help or did you stumble upon it before that. Maybe it would help for them to keep a list of links like this they could offer to clients.

ifurniss
09-19-2012, 01:37 PM
We've begun creating more friendly client-side documentation in our Knowledge Base! Google has it indexed pretty well, so it's quick to search "westhost kb [search item]" to help you find what you need.

In this instance, there are quite a few domain providers and right now we've got the generic guide on getting a domain transferred here:
http://kb.westhost.com/questions/88/How+do+I+transfer+my+domain+name+from+my+old+regis trar+to+WestHost%3F

I'll definitely see if we can start building out specific guides on transfers from larger domain hosts like GoDaddy to help avoid this type of headache in the future.

Thanks for choosing WestHost! I hope you have a great time hosting/registering with us!