PDA

View Full Version : Install Drupal with Softaculous or manually?

deerfoot
09-10-2012, 08:22 AM
I'm developing a Drupal site (cPanel) for our condo association and have just installed it manually. I have no problem with manual installations and will be webmaster for the foreseeable future but, at some point, someone with less experience may administer the site. (The Drupal install is currently in a sub-directory and the files have not yet been transferred into it from my computer.)

I noticed that Softaculous has the latest Drupal version. My questions are:
1. Does Softaculous provide updates in a timely manner?
2. Is it easy to upgrade the Drupal core using Softaculous?
3. Should I delete my manual install and reinstall using Softaculous?

Thanks,

wildjokerdesign
09-11-2012, 06:41 AM
I've never really noticed how quickly that Softaculous adds in upgrades but I think they do pretty good about it. After all it is what they are in the business of. :) I would say that if someone else is going to be administering the site in the long haul that you should use the Softaculous version. It is going to make it a whole lot easier for them to upgrade Drupal. Drupal is one of them that is not the easiest for a novice to update and this way they would have a one click way of doing it instead of having to download the upgrad and FTP new files to the site. I manually installed Drupal on one of my own site and I even kind of wish I would have done it via Softaculous.

deerfoot
09-11-2012, 11:27 AM
Thanks Shawn. I was kind of leaning in that direction and you provided the push, so before I go any further, I'll delete the manually installed one and start over with Softaculous.