PDA

View Full Version : changes to sl-507-13.slc causing errors?

J_M
02-08-2012, 05:45 AM
The php memory limits have been reduced on this server, is anyone having problems on this server?

This morning my site kicked out a error "The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request." whenever I access a particular page.

Does anyone have specific information as to what other changes have occurred on this server. I have not made any changes on my side so it becomes difficult when it was working before and not knowing what is happening on the server side.

This is the same server that was recently switched to new hardware but has continued to be troublesome, why is it just this server that is problematic?

thanks,

j

wildjokerdesign
02-08-2012, 08:11 AM
memory limit on cPanel accounts are normally set at 128M. Is yours showing lower then that? I my self am not aware of any changes on any of my accounts.

You say it is a particular page that is doing this. What does that page do? Is it perhaps trying to do something that uses too much memory for a shared server and perhaps could be optimized to use less?

Make sure you send in a support ticket on this so there is a record of the issue also.

J_M
02-08-2012, 08:24 AM
Hi Shawn

That's true the individual script allocation is 128MB, but check out the Logs>ResourceUsage, and the view for the past week. On 2/2 the allocation went from 1.0G to 512MB, and then dropped to 320MB. I have checked with tech support and this is the allocation that I am told will remain. But I don't know if that is specific to my account, or for the server, or for all servers.

j

J_M
02-08-2012, 08:40 AM
Hi Shawn

I've PM'd the problem page to you, but I am also experiencing sporadic memory limits on a second site that has a very plain and low use phpBB3 forum.

This page/script has not changed in years but is now showing an error.

regards,

j

wildjokerdesign
02-08-2012, 09:51 AM
So you are also getting this on phpBB3. Is that account on the same server?

I got your link and see that you are getting an additional 404 error. Have you looked at your error logs or even checked for a php error log in the directory where that page is served from? Looking at the source of the page you linked for me I see you are using frames and if I access the page direct that is included in that frame I am not getting the error. I have a feeling this is not a memory issue but something else. See if you can find that php error log. Like I said it is normally in the directory of the file that is acting up. The additional 404 is a symptom of cPanel set ups I've see before and really has nothing with what is actually going on. Happens often when a php program uses .htaccess for SEF Urls.

J_M
02-08-2012, 09:59 AM
Hi Shawn

I'll PM you the error so that I don't have to remove all the good stuff. It does mention memory allocation.

J_M
02-08-2012, 10:07 AM
>So you are also getting this on phpBB3. Is that account on the same server?

The error is different but mentions the same "(12)Cannot allocate memory: couldn't create child process: " This occurred this morning while I was in the Admin section.

wildjokerdesign
02-08-2012, 10:12 AM
Do you have the normal 128MB of memory allotted to php on these accounts? You can check that out in cPanel for the account under PHP.

It is always possible that there is another account that is hogging the resources and thus you could get this error from time to time. It is shared hosting so you are reliant on the other accounts playing nice. :) That is not to say that we can't do something on your end though to maybe make things better.

J_M
02-08-2012, 10:12 AM
Shawn

Are any of your sites on this server and do you see the same changes to the memory limits?

wildjokerdesign
02-08-2012, 10:15 AM
No I don't have any accounts on this server.

J_M
02-08-2012, 10:22 AM
>Do you have the normal 128MB of memory allotted to php on these accounts?

yes there is 128MB allocated per script event which is seem in the PHP Config panel, but a total a total of 320MB as seen in the Log>Resource, I believe it's listed in the MEML column.

>No I don't have any accounts on this server.

you're lucky because it's not a happy puppy and currently there is a big red dot on the WWW of the netstatus page for this server

J_M
02-08-2012, 10:24 AM
I ran a monitor on my site last month and this server was down for 188 minutes over 10 events

wildjokerdesign
02-08-2012, 10:30 AM
Yes it look like this server is having some issues at the moment. I doubt there is anything you can do on your end beside monitoring the issue.

wildjokerdesign
02-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Looks like they got it fixed! I would say keep an eye on it and alert WH if it happens again. I have the feeling that their monitoring is catching it but always good to report things just in case. :) If you see a note on the Status page then that would mean they already know about it. In this case the note was for another server but I did inform them via Chat about the issue so perhaps that helped some in this case.

J_M
02-08-2012, 10:42 AM
>Yes it look like this server is having some issues at the moment.

Something that I recently found out, there isn't a log of the errors that are shown on the NetStatus page. There are logs that show some of the problems but most often if the error on the netStatus page is transient nobody knows that it occurred except those of us that know that our sites are down.

>I doubt there is anything you can do on your end beside monitoring the issue.

this server has been a problem for 2 months.... unfortunately there is something that I can do, but I've been with WH for a long time now.

The problem that I have is if the plan that I'm on can't accomodate my tiny website or a forum that might have 4 visitors at a time, what type of plan would I need?

I'm sorry that my lack of patience is showing but I just want a server that is reliable.

J_M
02-08-2012, 10:44 AM
>Looks like they got it fixed!

my errors still show up. The red light on this server is always going on and off.

wildjokerdesign
02-08-2012, 11:02 AM
You are right that transient issues are no logged. I don't really know how the system works for netstatus but I assume that these are issues that are caught by the automated system and fixed. That in a way is a good thing.

It is very possible that the plan is fine for your account but since it is a shared hosting account the other accounts effect you. Shared hosting is as a rule oversold. That is common. Then the host keeps an eye out for accounts that are exceeding their allotted resources and then tries to get them moved to an account that better fits their needs. Until they do this can cause issues. I know that many folks get frustrated and decide to move to another host. That may work for a time but in time the same thing can happen at another host. A dedicated server or VPS where you are guaranteed your own resources is really the only way you can avoid this. That being said that option is not always affordable for a small site.

My best advice is to keep in contact with WH via the support system. They really do care and are not out to scam you.

J_M
02-08-2012, 11:28 AM
The best part about WH has always been the tech support. But I'm at a loss as to what to do. There finally seems to be an agreement that there is a problem with this server, the latest "fix" to reduce the memory limits has caused even more problems for me. And, as I mentioned I was told that these limits will remain for my sites.

My sites have not changed in years and I have been with WH for 10+ years.

adamcroshaw
02-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Thank you for your compliment about our tech support team and we sincerely apologize for your frustration! We sent the following notice to all clients on 507-13:

Dear WestHost Client,

To provide you with the most reliable and robust hosting environment available, a maintenance window will be required to perform maintenance on the server that hosts your site.

This maintenance window will occur on Thursday, February 9 between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 11:30 p.m. MST. It is estimated that the maintenance will take approximately 30 minutes.

We appreciate your cooperation as we continue our efforts to provide you with the best hosting environment available.

Best regards,

Hosting Systems Department

This is great advice and is very appreciated.

My best advice is to keep in contact with WH via the support system. They really do care and are not out to scam you.
WestHost has been in the hosting industry for 13 plus years because our clients have come to expect reliability and excellent client service (which they should). We continue to be dedicated to offering reliable hosting and excellent client service so we can continue to be in business for the next 13 years.

I have talked with our admin team about your specific concerns and we will be following up with additional information. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to send me a PM or contact our support team.

Adam

J_M
02-08-2012, 12:47 PM
Hi Adam

I've sent you a PM.

>This maintenance window will occur on Thursday, February 9 between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 11:30 p.m. MST. It is estimated that the maintenance will take approximately 30 minutes.

does this mean that they have found the problem with this server or is it just regular maintenance?

j

ifurniss
02-08-2012, 05:56 PM
The server has been reported to experience intermittent trouble, and so our admin team will be performing some upgrades to attempt and resolve performance issues that have been reported.

I know we are likely working on a ticket with you -- if not, please do submit one. We can continue working on this and help you troubleshoot any issues to try get them more thoroughly resolved.

J_M
02-16-2012, 12:28 PM
Thanks to the tech support folks, it sounds like the latest resolve will work.

best regards,

J