PDA

View Full Version : Wordpress vs Joomla for blogging

acates
05-03-2011, 02:04 PM
I currently have a Joomla site for my coaching business and my next step is to add a blog.

Would you recommend continuing to work with Joomla or transitioning over to Wordpress?

Ultimately, the site needs to support e-commerce, comments and feedback in addition to blogging.

wildjokerdesign
05-04-2011, 08:28 AM
May I ask why you want to add a blog? The reason I ask this is because I see a lot of folks who feel they need to have a blog because everyone else does so they install a blog. Then they never really post to it or they only post every few weeks or even months. That can happen with Joomla just as easily. :) A blog is really an on-line journal. A journal is something traditionally that you write in each day so that is the concept behind a blog. Bottom line really is that both are simply a CMS (content management system) and you need to look at the ease of use for you and how the content is displayed. Review the add ons or mods that each have and make a comparison. Which one has the features you really want? That should help you decide.

Also don't forget that it really does not have to be one or the other. Take for example WestHost... they have a forum, blog and then main site content. They use each for it strengths and try to not make one program fill all the needs of their site. Would you purchase a sports car and expect it to work for both pleasure cruising and as a work veachile for hauling the team to sports events?

acates
05-04-2011, 09:51 AM
I wanted to add a blog as a preview of my writing style and content to support the sale of my books.

Wordpress appeals to me for the features and ease of use, but I don't want to direct traffic away from my site to my blog, but have a cohesive site, like this Westhost design.

Is it possible to have a Wordpress blog within Joomla?

I guess I just don't want to throw away what I have already built and start from scratch.

wildjokerdesign
05-05-2011, 08:13 AM
Sure you can have a Wordpress blog "within" Joomla. Simply install the Wordpress blog in a different directory then Joomla is then add a link to your Joomla site to it. Now the tricky part of that is that you have to skin the Wordpress blog to look like your Joomla site and maintain two sets of main menus through each system normally. That is what WestHost has done. Well they don't use Joomla but for thier forum here and their blog the web designer for Westhost has created templates that include the header and footer HTML that is on their main site. I will warn you that this is not always and easy task. :) It depends on you level of HTML and PHP knowledge and then beyond that you need to dig in and learn how the template system for each program.

Unless there is something specific you want out of Wordpress you may take the easy way out and use one of the Blog extensions for Joomla. http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/news-production/blog Actually there is a commercial extension that is supposed to tie a worpress install into Joomla for you called Wordpress for Joomla http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/news-production/blog/6659

Here are my thoughts though on having both or using the extension to tie them together. Why? You are loading your account up with a bunch of extra code and databases that for the most part are the same. For example both have user logic and template logic they use then on top of that with extension you are adding a bunch of code to make those two separate logic's talk to each other. Plus since the extension is commercial I am sure there is some type of fee for it. See if one of the free extensions that might work for you.

wildjokerdesign
05-05-2011, 08:23 AM
I just had a thought. Since this is going to be something you want to use to generate interest in book that you sell why not use a service like Blogger? https://www.blogger.com/ It is a good marketing technique to use larger sites like this to generate traffic to your own site or business. Same idea goes for Facebook and Twitter. Heck even major companies with their own powerful sites have set up accounts on Facebook and Twitter. If you think video blogging might be your thing there is http://www.blogtv.com Possibilities are endless! One advantage of these sites, is the fact that they have such a large user base. Ever heard "100 pitches makes one sell".

agentSmith
08-16-2011, 05:19 AM
The difference between joomla and wordpress is that joomla is a full-blown cms. It has more functionalities than wordpress.
Which makes it a bit more complex to use if you are to make a simple site or a simple blog. While wordpress has the simplicity and
ease of use. It was naturally made for blogging so you have no worries setting it up even if you are new to blogging. If you might want to expand
however, you might move to joomla, or still stay with wordpress. Both have now support for each others plugins so you might have no problem
in the future. But its up to you, its a matter of your usage and preference. http://imagicon.info/cat/6-22/1.gif