PDA

View Full Version : Dada Mail bounces: 550 5.5.0 Spam detected, message rejected; What's going on?

leaddadaist
04-14-2011, 01:30 PM
Hello! I'm the author of Dada Mail - something that's available in the Westhost Manager (Awesome! Thanks!)

I'm starting to get a trickle of support requests, emails and calls about a problem that's all of a sudden, happened, since the start of this week:

People are starting to send out messages, as they have for months/years, but then all of a sudden *every single message* will bounce, with the following message in the bounced back email message:

550 5.5.0 Spam detected, message rejected; str=0001.0A010209.4DA48D45.00ED,ss=3,sh,re=0.000,f gs=0

From my research working closely with some of these clients, the bounce messages seem strange, as these clients have never had trouble before, have a closed-list opt-in list and there's nothing strange with the message itself - it's pretty plain stuff (no weird formatting, etc). The client is on no email blacklists and has never been on one.

I'm gathering that the bounce message is being created by the mail server at Westhost, instead of on the subscriber's mail server, since ALL the bouncebacks are formatted exactly the same way.

Can anyone shed any light on what's happening?

My guess is that something is hitting some sort of internal filter and is returning this somewhat unhelpful error message. My other guess is that it may just happen if too many email messages are sent at a too-fast rate. But, these are only guesses.

If it is simply a problem of going over an hourly email sending limit, can someone please point to what this limit is? I know Westhost has various plans - is this limit different on the various plans?

If it's a different problem, can someone please help in clarifying this for me? Although I can understand technical jargon, most of my clients just see a Confusing Big Problem, so I'm acting as a mediator to these users.

Thanks for any help that can be given,

wildjokerdesign
04-14-2011, 03:48 PM
This is most likely going to be a job for the system admins. Dada Mail was on offering on the old Site Manager accounts which were Sphera based and they are now at end of life. They would be continuing to update things like the mail server. On Site Manager accounts there was never a limit on how many could go out per hour but on newer cPanel accounts they have a limit of 360 per hour. Dada Mail is not offered on the new cPanel accounts so the limit should not be affecting it. You also mentioned these where older accounts that had been running for some time.

Have you contacted WestHost via http://www.westhost.com/contactus.html or some other way? The reason I say that is because the techs that will really be able to give you details do not often drop by the forum unless they have time to kill. They have been backed up on some issues they are trying to resolve so most likely won't see this. I'll see if I can get someones attention on this but having the details in a support ticket (the form on the page I linked creates one) might make it easier for them to track.

MattJ
04-15-2011, 02:09 PM
This is us. Our weekly mailing just bounced 1200 of 1500 messages. We use Dada Mail, are still on Sphera/Site Manager, etc.

Don't know if you put in a support ticket Justin, but I just did so, and will report back to this thread if/when things get sorted out.

-Matt
iankimmerly.com

adamcroshaw
04-15-2011, 02:13 PM
Matt

Thank you for replying. Our Admins are currently looking for more information to be able to get to the root of the problem. Could you please send me a PM with the ticket number you submitted and also a sample of the the message you are getting back.

Thanks

Adam

adamcroshaw
04-18-2011, 02:26 PM
We are currently working on a resolution to this issue DadaMail client are having with this. If you are having problems with this please send me a PM and I will make sure your domain is taken care of.

Thanks

Adam

MattJ
04-22-2011, 03:14 PM
Thanks, Adam. Today's mailing of 1600 messages went off without a hitch.

-Matt
iankimmerly.com

adamcroshaw
04-22-2011, 05:04 PM
Your welcome! Glad all went well.

Adam

ifurniss
04-24-2011, 04:16 PM
The cPanel or 4.0 accounts should all be set up with 1000 e-mail limit per hour. Slightly different older packages may still be configured with the 360 limit for shared accounts.

I have seen a number of these reports and they are sometimes one-time issues. I noticed that most of the messages were stuck in the outgoing mail queue. We cleared that queue [located in /var/spool/mqueue on the Site Manager accounts] and restarted Dada Mail to send all the messages out.

As mentioned, our admins are currently looking into any causes that we can work to resolve. Contact Tech Support for any issues you see with Dada Mail.