PDA

View Full Version : Error estabilishing database connection...

anotherbreed
01-24-2011, 06:10 AM
Today I received an error about database connection that can't be estabilished. Now it seems working fine, but what is happening when I don't look at my website? I'm also running an advertising campaign, and invested money on it, so an explanation would be appreciated.

And this after a month that I have had my site offline more than once within a few days. My SEO has been affected still today, having a lot of 404 errors encountered by search engine crawlers (they are slowly disappearing just now).

I'm a bit tired of this inefficiency. Give me an explanation please.

P.S.: also opened a ticket for this.

anotherbreed
01-24-2011, 06:16 AM
Site offline... right now.

jneeley
01-24-2011, 09:40 AM
I am glad you opened a ticketed regarding the database connection, if you would like to me to follow-up on the ticket please send me a PM with the ticket number and I'll do so.

I know that you're newer to the forums so I want to make sure you know what benefit you can receive here as well as what's not here. The forums are a great place for people to ask each other questions and work together in a community setting regarding their website and apps. Through the forums you can access other users who have likely asked the same question you're wanting to ask. Many times that question/concern is in an existing forum post.

What you won't receive in the forums is technical support from our tech team in normal form. They come to the forum from time-to-time as a user and comment on posts etc. but are not hovering over new posts with the anticipation to respond to requests.

I realize sometimes you just need to get the attention of someone at WestHost; in those cases I'd appreciate that you send me a quick PM so others can find relevant information more quickly without reading a conversation with more of a personal nature.

Thanks,

anotherbreed
01-24-2011, 01:00 PM
Hi Jake,

you got a PM.

Regards;

anotherbreed
01-26-2011, 06:07 AM
Just to let everyone know, I got NO answer to the PM and NO answer to the ticket.

Plus I still getting the "Error establishing a database connection" again today.

Just noticed the same high values:
Server Load 13.58 (16 cpus)
Memory Used 69.8 %
Swap Used 91.52 %

I don't just need to get the attention of someone at WestHost, I need to get answers on what is going on, if there's something wrong with my website or with your service.

Sincerely;

wildjokerdesign
01-26-2011, 07:19 AM
Well we would need a lot more information about your situation to be of any help here in the forums. For example, what are you running on your site? Is it an e-commerce program or maybe a CMS? If so is it the current version? Is there a chance it could have been hacked?

You mentioned you are running an ad campaign. Are you sure your account type can handle the added traffic from this campaign? How much has your traffic increased? What type of an account do you have with WestHost?

Have you explored your logs for errors? If so what are they saying?

It can be difficult to track down issues so you need to gather all the information you can. :)

anotherbreed
01-26-2011, 08:22 AM
Hi wildjokerdesign,

thank you for your interest. Some informations were reported on the ticket I opened as well as during the chat session I had with one of the staff guys (McKay). He told me that there was probably either someone causing high load that got shut down, or the admins were working on something.

I'm not a technician and do not understand what this could mean. I was just expecting some replies and suggestions about what I could do to investigate on the problem. But...

Let's see:
My online store is based on Wordpress 3.0.4 and worked fine until some days ago. The site was not hacked as I have not experienced personal data stealing, site alterations, or any other bad action an hacker would do.

I'm using post scheduling since some weeks and all the posts have been correctly published both the days I have had this Database Error.

The AdWords campaign has been stopped as soon as I noticed my website was not stable. I usually get 50 visitors per day, so don't think there's something wrong with

And about logs: do you mean those plain-text files on cPanel? How can I get informations from them?

I really hope Westhost technicians can investigate more than I can.

wildjokerdesign
01-26-2011, 10:39 AM
From the information you gave me above I think it is best if you contact direct via chat or phone and see if tech support can give you more details. If it is a server issue and the admins are looking into it then there is not much the techs you are talking with can do right at the moment. Jake tries to keep up with the forums but he has a lot of other responsibilities also. It could be he has not replied to your PM yet because he is in the process of investigating and trying to get answers. While I know it can be frustrating just keep at it. I would not say contact tech every hour, but I would maybe contact them in the morning and evening each day if you feel there is an ongoing problem. Try to keep details of when an error does happen. Often giving the technicians a time can let them look at the logs and determine something. They are going to be able to analyze them better then you can.

Since you are on a cPanel account there is just one instance of mySSL (that is the database system) being used for all users on the server. That is what the tech meant by what he mentioned to you. If another account was being hit hard it could cause issues but there are systems in place to try and balance things like that so other users are not affected. If the admins are involved then it could be that balancing system can be having problems and they are trying to get it fixed. The techs you are talking to may not have full knowledge that this is going on. I know that seems odd but it is a pretty big operation and so physically they are not in the same place so dissemination of information may not be immediate. I assume it was the other day that you chatted with McKay so today the techs may have more info. :)

jneeley
01-26-2011, 12:43 PM
@anotherbreed, sorry you felt neglected. I replied to the PM you sent me shortly after you sent it. I saw another ticket in the support queue from you and I asked the tech team lead to respond to it asap. I also sent you a question in the PM wondering if you still wanted to be on a different server and mentioned that I'd be happy to help facilitate that.

@wildjokerdesign, thanks, as always for you knowledgeable help!

anotherbreed
01-27-2011, 06:16 AM
Unfortunately all my websites went down again, at the same time of yesterday.

Server Load - 8.47 (16 cpus)
Memory Used - 62.4 %
Swap Used - 81.34 %

mysql (5.0.91-community) - failed

Jake you have a PM.