PDA

View Full Version : Site Manager to cPanel - domain name question

john259
01-12-2011, 07:23 AM
I just read the "Future Of WestHost 3.0" newsletter and am therefore considering converting from Site Manager (Big 10 Existing Client Special) to cPanel (Personal). I only have a small site with low bandwidth usage and no special software requirements. I'm quite happy to upload my files again from my PC to the new setup but I have a few questions please:

What happens about transferring my domain name?

Would I need to take out a second domain name during the transfer?

Is there a charge for the domain name transfer to the cPanel setup?

Also, does WestHost accept payment from a UK Visa debit card? This would be more convenient for me than a credit card.

Thanks for any answers,

John

nonvocalscream.com
01-12-2011, 07:44 AM
I did my conversion last night. This is what I did. I have two domains. My primary and alternate. The DNS will point to the old domains until you update the nameservers on the domains. That gave me time to move my wordpress. (databases). I needed to also create the mailboxes. I do not know about the UK debit card. The move was very easy, Westhost made it very easy. If you have any questions, I will try to answer them based on my experience. They did not charge me to move my domain, actually, my domain is still at my godaddy registrar. All I do is change the nameserver when I'm ready for it to point to the new cPanel account.

john259
01-12-2011, 08:16 AM
Thanks for replying. Is there somewhere that I, as a total novice with server software, can read up on how to do the nameserver change in this specific situation?

nonvocalscream.com
01-12-2011, 08:46 AM
Thanks for replying. Is there somewhere that I, as a total novice with server software, can read up on how to do the nameserver change in this specific situation?

That is really going to be dependent on who your domain is registered with. For example, mine was registered with Godaddy, so I have to log into that website to change the nameservers on those domains. When you sign up for cPanel, Westhost will send you a new set of nameservers to use when your ready to repoint the domain. Who is your registrar?

john259
01-12-2011, 10:17 AM
Who is your registrar?
WestHost - which presumably should make things simpler, I hope.

john259
01-13-2011, 03:20 AM
I had a look at the WestHost purchasing page for a new cPanel account and I think I might be able to use its facilities to do everything I want. But I'm unsure whether I need to select the "Transfer your existing domain" option or the "Point your existing domain" option. Could someone advise me on that please?

Could someone from WestHost comment on whether I could pay with a UK debit card please? Unfortunately my credit card limit won't cover paying for three years, which I'd like to do to get the best price.

wildjokerdesign
01-13-2011, 06:45 AM
For you specific question about your UK debit card, it might be best to get on either Chat or give them a call. Officially WestHost does not offer support in the forums although they do try to check in often. :)

If your registration was through WestHost when you first got your account then you should have gotten a welcome email that gave you a username and log in for administering your registration. This is different then what you use to log into Site Manager. If you have lost this you can contact WestHost to retrieve this information.

You don't want to "Transfer...". You'll be pointing and existing domain to the new account. Again that is there because WestHost not only offers hosting services but also offers domain registration services. Do make a note in when you purchase the new account that you are going to be moving your old Site Manager account to the new cPanel account. If your using one of the coupon codes sent with the email notice then that well let them know also but always good to note it during purchase.

john259
01-13-2011, 07:02 AM
Thanks Shawn, what would WestHost do without you? :)

john259
01-13-2011, 11:36 AM
Here's an update for the benefit of anyone following this thread:

I've gone ahead and purchased the cPanel hosting plan, specifying the "Point your existing domain" option.

The WestHost billing system will not accept a UK Visa debit card. That's something they need to fix IMHO.

Now I'm off to start exploring cPanel, try to see if the domain has been transferred or if I need to do anything, and find out how to upload files. All good fun!

john259
01-14-2011, 01:23 AM
Another update in this increasingly frustrating saga. I've submitted the form to cancel my old Site Manager plan. Let's hope they delete that one and not the new cPanel plan.

I'm still trying (and failing) to get some information regarding how the domain name is transferred from my old Site Manager setup to my new cPanel setup - whether WestHost do it, or whether I do it, or how I do it.

john259
01-14-2011, 05:47 AM
It's now working.

I changed the name servers to what was listed in the cPanel welcoming email. I don't know if that was what fixed it, or whether WestHost also did something. Anyway, both http and ftp now point to the new cPanel setup and I'm happy.

BTW the section of the WestHost site where the name servers are specified didn't work for me in Firefox (it just displayed the title but nothing else after logging in) so I had to use Google Chrome instead.

Sorry, this all must be very boring for experts but maybe it might be useful to people like me who are not.

jneeley
01-14-2011, 10:50 AM
Great thread guys, thanks.

Sorry I was not able to respond earlier as I was away from the office for Wed. and Thur. To clarify a little on the UK debit card... we use authorize.net for most of or transactions and therefore have most of their guidelines as our. I suppose that is has something to do with the payment gateway connecting to the UK bank or it could even have something to do with the bank itself. I agree that this should change as well :)

I am also glad to hear things are going well with your migrations to cPanel. I talked to one of our developers, who used to be a tech rep., yesterday about writing some blog posts centered on migrating from Site Manager to cPanel. He has been doing a lot of testing and such so he has some great experience to share. I'll try to remember to update this thread when we start publishing these posts to the blog.

john259
01-14-2011, 11:21 AM
Jake,

Could I add a few more possible additional items that you might like to consider for your "to do" list please, assuming that there are enough clients still to go through this process to make the changes cost effective to you of course:

1. The cPanel purchase and/or the Site Manager hosting cancellation transaction pages need to have an option added to cover the Site Manager to cPanel conversion possibility.

2. The automated response email after cancellation of the Site Manager setup says that the client's whole account has been cancelled and asks for feedback on how WestHost can regain the client's custom. That obviously isn't appropriate in this situation and needs to be fixed.

3. Ideally the credit for the unused portion of the Site Manager hosting needs to be applied to the cPanel hosting cost at the time it is purchased. Otherwise it will either sit in your system until the next billing cycle (bad for the client) or involve you in having to do a credit card refund (bad for you).

John