PDA

View Full Version : do I need to update to WH4?

J_M
12-20-2010, 07:48 AM
I read through a couple threads on the upgrade path, upgrade tools etc. that seem to have stopped being updated. And the link above to the wh3/wh4 comparison seems to be disfunctional:

http://www.westhost.com/30to40comparison.html

I currently have a relatively simple wh3 website and want to do some housecleaning, load in WordPress etc. should I update to wh4 at this point since I need to do some work on the site, or is it not necessary and wh3 will continue to be supported?

Is there a link to process involved in converting to WH4?

I found this link from WildJoker that should be very helpful (thanks)

http://wildjokerdesign.net/faq/how-do-i-move-my-30-database-my-40-account

thanks,

j

wildjokerdesign
12-20-2010, 01:42 PM
Hey JM,

You don't have to move to WH 3.0 if you don't want to. They are planing to keep it available to those who already have it but it won't be getting any new features. What you see now is what you get. I doubt they well even be updating the things available to install via the Site Manager unless it has to do with security.

If your current site is simple and you have not installed or customized the basic set up then you might want to think about "upgrading". Really at this point it is more a matter of ordering a new account and setting it up then canceling your old account. So you are really just starting over. There are still know tools that let you move things although I know they are still working on some things.

The big hassle can be reproducing the email accounts depending on how many you have. You have to create these again in WH 4.0 via cPanel. Getting old emails that may be on the WH 3.0 server over to the new 4.0 server is a bit tricky but doable. You might not need to do this if you just have a couple email accounts that only you use and if you don't leave emails on the server.

I would be more then happy to consult with you privately and have a look at things on your specific account if you want me to give you more feed back.

J_M
12-21-2010, 10:14 AM
thanks again for your help I think I'll just go for the update while I'm messing around with the website.

how important is SFTP or FTPS when sending files? does this require an upgrade with WH4?

wildjokerdesign
12-21-2010, 11:37 AM
The S stand for Secure so the difference is that any information you transfer with SFTP is encoded and with FTP it is not. I prefer SFTP and you don't need anything special with WH 4.0 to use it. :)

J_M
12-21-2010, 07:23 PM
when I try SFTP with a preferred WH4 account I get the following error:

SSH Error: No such file (SSH_FX_NO_SUCH_FILE: A reference was made to a file which does not exist.)

It seems that I do connect but this error pops up in-between and I don't know if it's an SFTP connection? I see that the business account has more security is this type of setup needed for SFTP? Do most people use FTP for general file transfer?

wildjokerdesign
12-21-2010, 08:15 PM
Hmmm... not sure about the answer on that one. I guess I assumed that all accounts could connect via SFTP. Have you asked WestHost about it in a support ticket? I work with several different WH 4.0 accounts that clients have and I connect with SFTP. While a couple of them are business accounts I think that at least one of them is a regular account. I would bet that the majority of folks just use FTP. I just like the added security. :) Not sure it is needed.