PDA

View Full Version : Please Clarify Migration Policy

coppercup
10-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Last year, in the process of announcing and testing the 4.0 platform, Westhost announcements and forum posts seemed to indicate that they would eventually migrate everyone to 4.0 from 3.0.

What is the current plan and/or policy regarding Westhost-assisted-or-performed migration, especially as relates to Resellers' accounts?

jneeley
10-08-2010, 05:25 PM
Needless to say we get this question a lot so we'll be sending everyone using the 3.0 Sphera platform an official and more detailed update.

When we started the new 4.0 cPanel platform we wanted to make a tool to migrate everyone which would basically say, "all you right here (on Sphera platform), move over there (to cPanel platform)." After extensive, and continued development hours we've found that making a tool like this is comparable to making a tool that's capable of migrating a PC to a Mac and expect it to function the same way on a Mac OS... it's just not available with our current technology.

With Sphera (3.0) you are allowed special access because you have independent instances of applications like Apache, with cPanel (4.0) that's not available so in many cases it was not an option. With this, many instances and customizations have been made (which has been great and desirable for our clients) but also causes rocky places when they want to switch platforms to something dissimilar to Sphera.

As I mentioned we are going to send an update this month regarding our platforms and give details about them. Let me know if you would like me to call you as well, I'd love to talk.

guitarwez3
11-01-2010, 01:07 PM
As I mentioned we are going to send an update this month regarding our platforms and give details about them. Let me know if you would like me to call you as well, I'd love to talk.

It is now November, is there any update on this? I haven't heard anything from WH in regard to this topic.

rolling
11-02-2010, 06:53 AM
It is now November, is there any update on this? I haven't heard anything from WH in regard to this topic.

Me neither. Used to get regular Client Connection every month - easy to spot in emails, but now get irregular emails which just disappear into the background.

jneeley
11-02-2010, 05:55 PM
I am sorry that you have not received the update yet but I appreciate you keeping me on my toes!

I've been taking notes in conversations, talking to clients and creating letters to make sure we say things in a way that makes sense and portrays all the thought and time we have/are putting into our clients on the 3.0 platform. I am sorry this has taken longer than I thought and I assure you it will come.

I would love to talk to each of you (or anyone else) so let me know your domain so I can look up your account and call you; or feel free to call me directly through ext. 220... I am more of a talker than a typer :)