PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Domains: Changing A Records of just one

disappointment
09-21-2010, 03:38 AM
I've got domain1.com. I've just bought domain2.com, and want it to point to a Tumblr blog. To do this, I just need to change the A Records.

However, in my Control Panel, I can only add A Records for subdomains of domain1.com - the only option I get for domain2.com is to change the folder it diverts to.

I'm guessing that this is something to do with all the accounts being hosted on the same account - I understand from reading around the forums that email works in a similarly restricted way, and to fix it you have to do some manual tinkering with the files in /etc/mail - but is there a way to redirect domain2.com to the Tumblr blog?

I don't mind getting my hands dirty, but I like to know where I'm sticking them.

For reference, the tumblr instructions are here...

http://www.tumblr.com/docs/en/custom_domains

wildjokerdesign
09-21-2010, 07:10 AM
Then you'll need to follow the registrar's instructions to point the domain's A-record (IP address) to 72.32.231.8

You don't do this in the WestHost Control Panel, but at your registrar's control panel. :) Where did you register your domain?

BTW if this is a new WestHost account then much of what you may read in the forums no longer applies. The old WH 3.0 system was a bit limited when dealing with multiple domains but now with the WH 4.0 accounts you can do pretty much anything via the Control Panel and don't have to get your hands dirty working on files manually. That being said, you still need to change the A record at the registrar's level and not in the WH cPanel.

disappointment
09-22-2010, 12:53 AM
Oops. Thanks for the information, there. I found an option to add A Records in my 3.0 Control Panel, and assumed, once I'd pointed the nameservers to Westhost, that the A Records would be within Westhost's control too.

Just goes to show how making assumptions is dangerous, when you're armed with so little knowledge.

wildjokerdesign
09-22-2010, 05:30 AM
Your welcome. Well you do have some control over A records in the Site Manager but with what you are doing you would want to do it at the registrar level. :)

olsen
09-11-2011, 02:32 PM
Hmmm. he might want to change one of the host names or the public IPs assigned. http://imagicon.info/cat/6-22/1.gif