PDA

View Full Version : Cloud reseller hosting - pricing and other suggestions

andz
08-05-2010, 09:43 PM
The pricing for cloud reseller is nearing (but not quite there yet) the point where it might make a viable continuation to the existing WH3 hosting for resellers.

I have some questions and suggestions:

* There really should be a discount for longer payment periods, e.g. 5% discount for 3 month advance payment, 10% for 6 month, 15% for 12 months would, I think be the tipping point.

* This is supposed to be Xen-based, but is there some sort of overselling possible, if not for the RAM, then for the diskspace/bandwidth?

* Why is RAM in increments 188MB rather than of 64MB/128MB ?

* There should be some sort of rebate/credit for those of us reselling WH3.0 plans, where we get rebates/credits on unused VPSes that we can apply to the cloud reseller as we migrate over to cloud reseller.

Example: As I slowly migrate my clients over to Cloud reseller, the number of VPSes being used on our WH3 reseller accounts should dwindle over time. As I slowly wind down the number of users on WH3, rather than shifting to a lower plan, it would be nice if Westhost let us apply the pro-rated cost per unused VPS on the WH3 reseller plan to the monthly plan for Cloud reseller. Example: A reseller is paying USD2/month for 45 WH 3.0 VPSes, but due to migration, he has 5 unused this month. If he/she can apply USD10 to the cost of his/her Cloud reseller, that would REALLY, REALLY go a long way toward encouraging the move to it.

I think the last portion, combined with a substantial discount for longer periods of subscription for cloud reseller, is enough to push us to start offering cloud-based VPS to our end-users.

wildjokerdesign
08-06-2010, 05:58 AM
They already give a discount for paying in advance. Well actually it kind of works the other way around. They promote the in most cases the 2 year in advance price and if you choose to not pay in advance it is more.

I believe overselling is allowed just like on WH 3.0.

Not sure why they choose to increment RAM the way they did. :)

They don't have the rebate as you lay it out but they well apply any unused credit from your WH 3.0 account to your WH 4.0 account once you have migrated and closed the 3.0 account. I would think your method would be a bookkeeping night mare for them.

andz
08-08-2010, 12:49 AM
> I believe overselling is allowed just like on WH 3.0.

Right, but only for diskspace and bandwidth? Or is it also possible with RAM? (Afaik this is not possible for Xen)

> They don't have the rebate as you lay it out but they well apply any
> unused credit from your WH 3.0 account to your WH 4.0 account once you
> have migrated and closed the 3.0 account. I would think your method
> would be a bookkeeping night mare for them.

Book-keeping wise, it really depends on how they want to approach this sort of rebate. Completely migrating everyone on a reseller's WH3.0 list overnight to cloud is not going to be a particularly realistic scenario. It is definitely going to have to be a drawn out migration where people are slowly moved over, just like they do now with us WH direct customers.

> They already give a discount for paying in advance. Well
> actually it kind of works the other way around. They promote
> the in most cases the 2 year in advance price and if you choose
> to not pay in advance it is more.

Are you sure? You might wish to check the pricing here again:

https://order.westhost.com/?og=reseller-hosting&p=270

Seems to be uniform pro-rated. Anyway, if the pricing there were the discounted one as you claim, then I would have to say it is not yet a viable proposition to switch over from WH3 for resellers.

wildjokerdesign
08-08-2010, 06:31 AM
Interesting... They don't offer a discount on Re-Seller accounts. Sorry I assumed since they did on regular hosting accounts that they did this on re-seller accounts also.

andz
08-08-2010, 09:06 AM
Interesting... They don't offer a discount on Re-Seller accounts. Sorry I assumed since they did on regular hosting accounts that they did this on re-seller accounts also.Actually they don't offer such a discount on single user cloud hosting either:

https://order.westhost.com/?og=cloud-hosting&p=267

andz
10-04-2010, 01:31 PM
VPS.NET now has a single 376MB node at $20/month. In my opinion, this performance/pricing has FINALLY HIT THE SWEET SPOT and I am finally starting to get excited about reselling cloud hosting.

Can't Westhost offer this at the same price (WH offering at $50 for 2 node equivalent)? Would actually like to resell this, so if they can offer this at bulk for a bit lower, I'll definitely start migrating over from WH3.