PDA

View Full Version : semi-dedicated accounts

aberg
07-23-2010, 02:32 PM
I open a new topic because to stay on topic and I think I'am not the only one who have questions about this answer:

aberg,
Thank you for your question. In place of the semi-dedicated accounts we offered previously, we are now offering cloud hosting accounts which you can see here: http://www.westhost.com/cloud-hosting/. The main benefit of the cloud accounts is that they have dedicated server resources.

I'm surprise to read this answer.
What is going on with westhost???
First this:

andz,
aberg,
When you say you have a semi-delicate account I assume you are referring to our semi-dedicated accounts currently being offered. We will continue to offer a semi-dedicated plan in the WH 4.0 environment. Iíll forward your specific question on to our development team to get a better answer on make maps.
And now there will be come cloud- hosting for replace the semi-delicate accounts in the near future.
Or do I have this wrong??
I have read the cloud hosting plans but there is a lot missing of information.
For me I must make the choose of I will stay in the future by Westhost or that I removed to a other hostingcompany.
As a existence user I missing information.

What will happen with the semi-delicate accounts in the future?
Is migration possible form the semi delicate account to cloud hosting?
If migration isn't possible is it possible to copy all files from the semi delicate to the other server?
Is there root access in cloud hosting?

But what about this:

Hello aberg,

I just wanted to back up what Clint Reeves stated and say that we will be doing our best to ensure that migrations from 3.0 to 4.0, regardless of service plan, are as painless for you as possible. We recognize that many of our clients have installed custom scripts and will certainly take that into account during the migration process.

The other thing what cares me is the rise of pricing.
Now I have 200 GB and cloud hosting start with 20 GB.
Is this the first start of the new price plan from Westhost???
As example compare the delicate servers.
The first Managed Dedicated Servers start plan was first $159.
Than it was $209 and now it start $250.
This is happen in only 14 months !!!!

So many question and as you can read is it for me interest to stay by Westhost.
They promisse 100% Lifetime Satisfaction Promise.
But how can I believe a compagny who changed there plans regulair?
Many examples and Westhost seems very untidy.
Was there not VPS net?, because Westhost don't have any VPS account anymore.
Ok it is a sister company, but now VPS is back.

Many many question.
If I stay by Westhost?
Wel if I be honest.
I'm now looking for a other hoster and compare there plans.
For me I must trust a hostcompagny but with this police it give me no trust in the future.
What is Westhost going do now with the existence client on a semi-delicate account?

wildjokerdesign
07-23-2010, 02:55 PM
WestHost has stated that they well not make anyone move to WH 4.0, so if you like what you have now and can live with no added features or upgrades then you just leave your account as is.

WestHost is not really getting rid of semi-dedicated account, they are now just calling them Clouds. :)

WestHost has said that they well honor any package features and prices from old WH 3.0 accounts if a current client wants to upgrade to WH 4.0. It would be best to contact them directly via the Contact page to confirm this for you own account though I think.

I am curious to hear WestHost reply to your question about VPS. The package pages for Cloud hosting kind of suggest that they are VPS's but I don't know if they well be like what we have now. Clint, Dustin or someone can you clarify the VPS term used on cloud package page? I know that Dustin said that to get root access (BTW: Is that true root or root like) that you would have to have a reseller account under the new system.

WestHost - CReeves
07-23-2010, 03:22 PM
aberg,

It looks like wildjoker gave some great answers to your questions. Let me confirm some of the answers he gave.

What will happen with the semi-delicate accounts in the future?
We are still allowing clients to stay on the 3.0 platform even though it is at end of life. We do encourage all 3.0 clients to migrate to the 4.0 environment. For Semi-Dedicated accounts this means that we would encourage you to migrate over to our cloud hosting which is superior to our traditional Semi-Ded accounts because of resource allotment and flexibility.

Is migration possible form the semi delicate account to cloud hosting?
Yes, please refer to the previous answer which covers this.

If migration isn't possible is it possible to copy all files from the semi delicate to the other server?
Migration is possible and can be done at your discretion. We are still working on a tool that will make migration easier and will notify clients once its complete. However, in the meantime you can handle the migration on your own along with some direction from our Technical Support team.

Is there root access in cloud hosting?
This is a good question. With our traditional cloud hosting on WestHost the answer is no. However, Dustin Olson gave a great response that suggested some alternatives with WestHost in order to get root access or to modify certain files (cloud reseller plan/unmanaged dedicated server). You can see his response here: http://forums.westhost.com/showpost.php?p=49985&postcount=5 You can also get full root access to VPS/Cloud hosting unmanaged on our sister company VPS.NET. Primarly the WestHost cloud offering is a managed service with limited access unless you go with the reseller cloud option as Dustin mentioned.

The other thing what cares me is the rise of pricing.
Our cloud pricing is very competitive to other cloud providers and to our semi-dedicated plans. Storage is only one aspect/feature and when you compare the dedicated resources you are not comparing apples to apples. The cloud is overall superior given the dedicated resources and flexibility.

What about price changes with dedicated servers?
Again, you are not comparing apples to apples with these servers. Many of the specs have changed over the past several years. Comparing one of our old cheaper server prices to the new servers is not a fair comparison given the specs on th new servers. We will continue to offer competitive prices as we have always done. We also now have the full line of management options to custom tailor your server and in turn save you money.

While I understand your concerns aberg, I would encourage you to contact our Sales team directly if you have any specific questions about pricing changes or feature changes so we can better address them. Please feel free to contact us at any time.

WestHost - CReeves
07-23-2010, 03:28 PM
I am curious to hear WestHost reply to your question about VPS. The package pages for Cloud hosting kind of suggest that they are VPS's but I don't know if they well be like what we have now. Clint, Dustin or someone can you clarify the VPS term used on cloud package page? I know that Dustin said that to get root access (BTW: Is that true root or root like) that you would have to have a reseller account under the new system.

The cloud VPS will not be like the VPS you have now. The biggest difference is that the cloud VPS offers dedicated server resources. Compared to the 3.0 VPS's that do not have guaranteed resources (with the exception of the semi-ded plans which do offer some level of guaranteed resources) the new cloud hosting plans(VPS) will be much more scalable/flexible. The answer Dustin gave regarding the reseller acount is probably closer to a root-like access since its still managed with WestHost. The Reseller Cloud does offer additional access not offered by the standard cloud hosting. However, if full root access is what interests clients then VPS.NET or an unmanged WestHost dedicated server is the way to go.

wildjokerdesign
07-24-2010, 05:46 AM
Thanks Clint for the answers!

Sorry to be a pest, but I wonder if you could find out some specifics about the Reseller Cloud option that has VPS root like access? Is it like our old setup where we have the ability to install programs using the GNU Compiler Collections with ./configure, make and make install or are they just giving access to httpd.conf and php.ini? I assume these accounts are still using WHM and cPanel, so do we get access to all the files that WHM and cPanel use like skeleton files ect. I am wondering if it would give a client more access to some of the API abilities of WHM and cPanel that are seen in these pages. http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/view/AllDocumentation/AutomationIntegration/WebHome I've actually played with some things in the API but when it comes to things like "Extending cPanel Functionality", of course we don't have access in a normal account. Thinking that if the Cloud Reseller accounts do offer this it might be a good selling point so to speak. :)

aberg
07-24-2010, 12:57 PM
Thank you I appreciate your answers.
I think that the Cloud Hosting storm packet is a good solution for me
My biggest concern is the migration from the databases from the second website.
On my account I have two websites running.
I have make two maps for this websites.
As example:
The first domain is pointing to var/www/html/
The second domain is pointing to var/www/html/site2/
The second domain have running 7 MySql databases.
How can I move this domains included the databases to the new server? and what about the path in the config script (vbulletin)?.
If I have the guarantee that this will be done without problems than migration is for me no problem.
Or maybe it is better to wait for your tool that will make migration easier?

dolson
07-26-2010, 04:26 PM
wildjoker,

The cloud reseller accounts will provide access to modify Apache and PHP config files, ability to compile applications, as well as the ability to modify cPanel/WHM specific files (modify skeleton directory, utilize API, etc.) so have at it!

aberg,

The default paths on the cloud server will be a bit different from /var/www/html. They will likely be /home/<username>/public_html instead, so you would have to change that in vbulletin and anywhere that it is hard coded, however that will be a simple change. As for the databases, you can export all the databases on the old account using phpMyAdmin (which you can install in your Site Manager) and then import them also using phpMyAdmin on the new account (accessible via cPanel).

You should be able to move things over to a cloud account with little or no trouble at all. I see no reason why it would not work. If you do have any questions in the process or run into issues, feel free to contact technical support at any time by calling 1-800-222-2165, option 4, or via chat (http://www.westhost.com/chat/) and we'd be happy to help you out.

aberg
07-27-2010, 12:07 PM
Thanks Dustin for the answer.
I understand what you mean, but the problem will be the database.
It's not possible to use phpMyAdmin because the database is to big.
I get a timeout.
Therefore I use Putty (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html) to do this with this command:

Mysqldump --opt -Q -u dbusername -p databasename >/var/....sql

If I make a mistake than I can restore it with putty (restore)
Can I run putty on the cloud account and restore the database as I use now?
My last question is how to switch to the Cloud account?
Will the migration ( copy all files) done by support? and how will this work with two websites.
Will there be two maps as now or is it what I have see like two seperate websites (both with Cpanel or something).
In that case the maps must be copy to separate FTP accounts.

wildjokerdesign
07-27-2010, 02:42 PM
Yes you have putty or SSH access to your WH 4.0 account. At one time not all packages had this access but pretty sure they do now. I am sure that Dustin can confirm that. I even use MySQL Workbench via secure shell on one of the accounts.

Right now any migrations are manual which means you have copy over all files and databases yourself to the new account. Although I would bet that through WestHost extra services you could pay them to move the files.

Structure of every thing depends on what package you would purchase under 4.0. For example I have a 4.0 reseller account so I can log into WHM and create a new account that has it's own cPanel and user that can log in via FTP.

With a regular account you have cPanel and you can add domains to the account but it does not have a separate log in for cPanel. The new domain is set up in /home/<username>/public_html/domain.tld but you can change that if you want. Anything above /home/<username>/ is valid I think. So actually the default setting would be much like what you have now.

wildjokerdesign
07-27-2010, 02:49 PM
P.S. Have you seen the Demo for WH 4.0? http://www.westhost.com/cpanel-demo.html Maybe that well help answer some of your concerns and questions. It at least gives you a look at cPanel and how it works.

aberg
07-28-2010, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the answers.
I have see the demo from WH4.0 and read a lot of information.
I have also take a look of the cloud reseller accounts with will provide access to modify Apache and PHP config files.
I think this is more interest and the price is the same.
If I compare the contents there is no difference.

A other thing is the manual migrations from the files.
That is to much work if I do it from here.
Uploading to the server is for me extreme slow.
I have ask this earlier before and tried different FTP programs without success.
A ohter thing is that my opinion is thet migration must be done by Westhost self.
They have decide that WH 3 out of live is and ofcourse maybe there is no choose I'am expect that they do the migration for the clients.
If I now decide to go to a other hoster they also do this for me.
As example see attachment.
So yes, migration I want but pay for it no way.
I have about 6 months to go before my account must be renew.
So I see what Westhost will do the next months.

wildjokerdesign
07-28-2010, 02:51 PM
aberg,

Have you contacted WestHost direct about this? It might be worth doing that so they can review your actual account and give you feed back.

I understand the slow process of downloading and uploading via FTP. I have a pretty good connection and as a rule my route to and from the WestHost servers is pretty good but some days it gets slow. One thing I've started doing is using putty and the wget command. :) I can zip something up on one account and have the zip file in the /var/www/html directory. I can then go to the other account and move to either /var/www/html on WH 3.0 or /home/[user]/public_html and grab the zip file then unzip. Happens in a matter of seconds. There are actually other methods in putty and SSH that you can copy or get files also that is just a quick and dirty way.

WestHost is planning on having tools to help in migration. Let's hope they get them done by your 6 month deadline.

acemi
07-30-2010, 05:46 AM
I was pushed to move from a shared account (discussion here (http://forums.westhost.com/showthread.php?t=13978)) and I selected to move to a new VPS provider. The support staff at the new host were able to transfer all my files over to the new server in under an hour, though I had to do the tweaking and refining as the new host has WHM and CPanel.

I miss the simplicity of the Westhost3 control panel, but have been delighted with page load speeds 30-50% quicker, more resources than I could get on the semi-dedicated here, incredible uptime, daily off-server backups, multiple dedicated IPs and great support (though not quite Westhost good).

Larry

aberg
07-30-2010, 08:59 AM
Thank you Acemi for your answer.
The reason that I'am still by Westhost is the support and second my account is paid through next year.
But if I'am honest I also looking now for a new hosting and compare them.
It's the reason in your discussion and for me more and more the migration progress.
If I read here that clienst must take a new account and by there self migrate there files and after that must ask for refund on there old account than I ask myself what is value from existent clienst.

A other reason for me to look for a other host is the rising of prices here.
As you write, there are a lot of hostcompany's who have more for the same price and now with the new hosting platform even cheaper.
But I doubt what I shall do.
Pay more for the hosting here and leaving the old westhost 3 plan and go for cloudhosting or move to a other hosting.
As you write this have for me a benefit.
For what I have see now most hostingscompany do the migration for free and they guarantee the working of the websites.

I don't have read on this moment experience from the cloudhosting plans here.
It's new, but the sametime I wonder why they so quickly have decide to change there hostingplans.
For I couple months ago they write me that the Westhost 4 semi-delicate account was excellent ( after I read that they share it with 50 users and Westhost 3 only 20)

As you see, I doubt really.
Stay or go.
But as I write before I prepair to move.

acemi
07-30-2010, 10:14 AM
Aberg, I looked into the "free migration" offered by some hosts and the fine print always says CPanel sites are transferred free. There is an option in WHM to transfer a CPanel account so you don't even need a support team to do it.

When it comes to hosting, too good a deal is not realistic. Unlimited storage, bandwith, etc are not for real. The sites tend to be slow and unreliable.

I chose Westhost due to their constant good performance in the Netcraft hosting providers report (http://uptime.netcraft.com/perf/reports/Hosters). The host I upgraded to is on the list too. I am paying nearly double what I was paying at Westhost, but I have more dedicated resources than I can use.

Here is a typical server load graph http://www.pool-help.com/a-cpu-day.png

and a typical RAM graph for my server http://www.pool-help.com/a-memory-day.png

I was upset when I couldn't solve the load/ RAM issues here, but looking back it was perhaps for the best.

Westhost's speed of support is unmatched and I still miss the instant chat lifeline.

Larry

dostler
07-30-2010, 04:45 PM
Hello Aberg,
I have sent you a personal message with a request for information and some of my personal contact information. If you would kindly review that message, I do believe we can help you resolve your concerns.