PDA

View Full Version : Email lists? Not on WH 4.0...

robertpaxton
07-06-2010, 02:33 PM
I've been a WH 3.0 customer for some time, and spent this past weekend moving my organization's website to WH 4.0....only to find this afternoon that the office couldn't send emails anymore, since we'd hit our limit of 360 emails/hour. What limit? There was nothing in the documentation when I signed up!

I put in a ticket, and found that yes, it's a real limit - - and that it also applied to mailing lists. Therein lies the problem: we have 17 of them, some of them discussion lists of hundreds of users.

So...functionally, we're out of business if even one person posts on our biggest list? And we'd have to throttle our biggest announcement list to take over 11 hours to send mail?

I am not pleased - - this was not an issue on WH 3.0, and is a deal-breaker for us. We're moving back to 3.0 now, and I will then start looking for a new hosting provider. This was a wasted 3-day weekend - - thanks, WestHost!

WestHost - CReeves
07-06-2010, 03:03 PM
robertpaxton,

I'm sorry to hear about your frustration with this issue. I'd like to discuss this further with you before you make any changes back. I'm confident that we can find a workable solution for us both to address your needs.

Feel free to send me a private message with your contact information so I can help you get this resolved.

chumley
08-05-2010, 04:59 PM
I currently have no limit on emails also in the VPS-like environment. Seeing the 1000 limit per hour does put me off migrating also (not that it would cause too much of a problem) it is just a restriction that could cause problems in the future. I would like to know what other restrictions would be involved moving from the current VPS environment to a hosting account such as business hosting. What access would I lose?

I'm not the most 'techy' guy but enjoy having access to install applications, update existing applications.... even such things as phpbb forum as west host is usually a little behind updating these.

Would I have the same full root access on a business hosting plan for example?

I have always liked the vps like environment and understand prices must alter, I would have preferred to keep the same package (could live with changing certain applications no longer available on hosting packages) and have a reasonable increase in costs for the migration to 4.0.

Plus the confusion of migrating to 4.0 ( I would have no idea where to start lol) just seems to me that I will probably stay where I am... for now at least.

If I knew what was involved ( i.e. migrating tool - simple and straight-forward) then as i am due for renewal, I would possibly make the change, however, as it is all unclear to me what to do for the best then my motto is 'why try to fix something that isn't broken' :D

wildjokerdesign
08-05-2010, 08:23 PM
Chumley,

If you compare to WH 3.0 to a WH 4.0 Business package (the current one that is) really the only thing you would find is the 1000 limit per hour on email. In all truthfulness you most likely have that limit now with your WH 3.0 account. Try sending out more then 1000 emails an hour and see what happens to your account. :)

If it is a php, cgi/perl type program then chances are you can install it just like you do on WH 3.0. Most all shared hosting programs allow that. Actually WH 4.0 even makes it easy to install added php pear libraries to your account with just a click. Another advantage is that the installer that they are using keeps the PHP programs updated much faster then the old one did. Most php scripts have a way you can update them via their own control panel so really once it is installed there is nothing stopping you from keeping it updated that way. For example WH 4.0 installer has SMF (Simple Machines Forum) available. It has a built in upgrade process that simply takes clicking a couple buttons. In fact when you log into the admin section it tells you if you need to upgrade. That happens the moment SMF releases an update. :)

Unless you are a techy and installing things via GNU and Shell you loose nothing and in fact gain quite a bit.

chumley
08-06-2010, 08:52 AM
Thanks for your reply wildjokerdesign, currently I send emails using the forum and phplist. The emails (only a couple thousand) are sent within 15 minutes, .... well that's what phplist reports lol. I get reports from members who all seem to receive them on time. :)

Like I said, I am not a major techy and the biggest problem is the migration. I am learning about all the technical side of websites etc as I go along php, java etc. and tbh I haven't got the motivation to learn about how to migrate my little site across yet. From reading on the forum about problems (might not be applicable to me) when migrating it all seems to be both time consuming and not so straight-forward.

There are things in WH4 that look very useful indeed to someone of my limited capabilities, however, I am not in a position to pay others to do it for me, nor am I confident enough to migrate the site myself... tbh the main reason being- I wouldn't have a clue what's involved.

I guess, I will monitor the situation and review it on-going. I don't want to find that when i send 2,000 mails out to my lists, people posting on the forum don't receive notifications of posts made for a few hours because of the limit being reached.

Personally I feel that if there are going to be mail limits in the different hosting accounts that they should at least be done pro-rata.
i.e. 1000, 2500, 5000 respectively. With the option to increase this for a small fee perhaps if required.

Thanks again for your reply wildjokerdesign, I'll keep a check on things and see how it all goes.

I don't have any inclination to change hosts though as most people agree, myself included, WH support sevice is definately second to none.

chumley
08-06-2010, 08:57 AM
....only to find this afternoon that the office couldn't send emails anymore, since we'd hit our limit of 360 emails/hour.

Just re-read this.... what is this referring to? 360 emails an hour? All the hosting I can see is referring to 1000 mails an hour. If someone wants to clarify please :)

wildjokerdesign
08-06-2010, 04:10 PM
That was the "old" WH 4.0 packages I think. They all changed when they updated the main site just recently. It does get a bit confusing.

chumley
08-08-2010, 06:31 PM
OK thx for that and yes, it does get somewhat confusing ;) lol

Most places are 'short' on information whereas WH has so much info you have to wade through it all making notes on the latest relevent info disregarding out of date stuff.