PDA

View Full Version : Browser Standards and Your Site

jmknapp53
06-10-2010, 11:50 AM
I cannot get my manager site to load completely on either Safari or Chrome (both latest version). Thank God I have Firefox. It works. At least for now.

I don't have this problem with any other site that I visit.

It looks like a problem in your scripting. I've brought this up several times in the past to WestHost customer service. I've even reported the problem to Apple to see if they couldn't fix Safari. Their response has been that there is something non-standard in your coding.

At first I thought this was the typical run-around: No matter what problem you bring up to customer service agents across the Internet these days, their first response is their something wrong with your computer, then there's something wrong with other guy's software or hardware, but no matter what it's nothing wrong with one's own product. But I guess the most likely case just seems to be Apple's hypothesis: Your code doesn't work.

Man, this gets old.

Writing standards-compliant code and browser tested code just isn't that hard. I know. I've stayed up night and day a couple of times working on just those problems on my own web sites. Although I have a little experience programming in ancient languages like assembler, BAL, PL1, C, Javascript, and the like, the truth is I'm self taught. If I could find solutions to browser compatability spending just a little time with my best friend Google, I'm pretty sure your trained technical staff could do the same.

I'm disappointed that WestHost--among their other recent problems--just doesn't care enough to create a site that is browsable by two major browsers. And I've got to believe it just isn't that hard.

J.

wildjokerdesign
06-10-2010, 12:46 PM
J,

What is it that is not working for you? I assume that when you say "my manager site", that you mean the Site Manager for WestHost 3.0 that you access via http://example.com/manager/. I also assume you are working on a Mac and not a PC. I use FireFox but I am going to go try Site Manager in Chrome to see if I can detect what you are talking about. I am on a PC so I may not see the same thing.

All that being said, it is possible that Site Manager well never work for you in Chrome or Safari on Mac since 3.0 is at end of life. I am curious though to try and figure out just what is going on. Who know maybe WestHost would be willing to change something if we can give them enough specifics. :)

wildjokerdesign
06-10-2010, 12:59 PM
Well that did not take me long. :) It looks to me like the problem area is E-mail /FTP > Users. I get only the Users heading and "To add additional users to your account, click the ‘Add’ button below." in the right panel.

It looks like document.onload = setTimeout('initTables();', (IE?1000:0) ); is not loading the tables. I'll see if I can find the function in their javascript. Maybe that well tell us something.

jmknapp53
06-10-2010, 01:27 PM
Shawn,

Thank you so much! I'm sorry I didn't supply too many details. If there's anything I can add, such as my system profile report, please let me know.

I can't believe someone actually went and checked it out after all these months!

Yes, you found the problem I am having. I think it may be happening on other script based routines on the site, but I'll need to go check that.

I hope I didn't offend. I'm having a very bad day. I had to let an employee go suddenly for stealing and other things. I'm slogging through changing all my passwords and so forth today, which is why I had to deal with the Site Manager page again today.

I can't thank you enough for taking the time to check this out for me.

J.

wildjokerdesign
06-10-2010, 01:41 PM
Your Welcome. Not sure how much help I can be on this but things like this always intrigue me. :) Remember I am not a WestHost employee but just another client that spends way to much time on the forum.

I can see it happening but I can't for the life of me figure out what the problem is. I mean I know it is something in the JavaScript, but the code I have reviewed so far looks pretty clean and compliant. I'll keep digging. Also if you find any other pages that are not functional go ahead and post them. The more info we can feed to WestHost the better. While the forums are not an official help area many of the techs to browse through them and perhaps we can catch their eye and they might start digging some. ;)

As a side note... have you ever worked with cPanel? That is the interface for WH 4.0. I really have not checked it out in Chrome or Safari yet but I bet it works. Of course to get that you have to go through the migration process which is a bit of a trial since it has to be done manually but might be something to keep in the back of your mind.

wildjokerdesign
06-10-2010, 02:16 PM
Ok for some reason in the initTables function CTableView is not defined. Then later in around line 598 CTableColumn is not defined. This is in accounts.inc.en_US.1247590457.js.php

There is a dtkit_loader.js that should be loading the package that I think is responsible for CTableView being initiated.

RMD
06-17-2010, 07:11 PM
I use Safari 4.1 and can use Site Manager in it...almost without a problem. The only thing that doesn't display at all is the User Statistics. Can manage apps, etc.

(Oops, title was for post in another thread!)

wildjokerdesign
06-17-2010, 08:29 PM
Hmm... you know I was running Safari 4.0.5. I am going to download the latest version and see how it handles things. I get a sneaking feeling that may correct things. I bet there is an update in how javascript is handled and what we see with older versions is a bug that could be fixed by upgrading. Glade you mentioned that RMD.

P.S. I just re-read J's original post and he was using current versions so this might not work. I also checked my Google Chrome and it is up to date. I think they both use the same base code so well see.

wildjokerdesign
06-17-2010, 09:11 PM
Ok this was very strange. I updated to Safari 5 and still no joy with seeing the Users interface on the right. What was odd though is that I clicked on User Statistics and they showed up. Then I checked a couple other pages and came back to User Statistics and it would not show up. I thought maybe it had to do with cache and browser history so I cleared those but it did not seem to help. At this point I am just not sure what to search for to try and find answers. I can normally find reference to things on the internet but I am not finding anything relevant to this. Could be I am just using the wrong search terms.

RMD
06-18-2010, 04:32 AM
Have the Developer menu item activated and experimented with changing the User Agent. Interestingly, the User Statistics page was viewable ONLY when I selected IE 6.0 or 7.0.

IE 8, Safari 5.0 for Windows didn't work. Actually, nothing else worked.

Set the User Agent back to Safari 4.1 (Mac) and ran the Error Console, which duplicated Shawn's findings:

ReferenceError: Can't find variable: CTableColumn
account_usage.inc.en_US.1247590466.js.php:44

ReferenceError: Can't find variable: CTableView
account_usage.inc.en_US.1247590466.js.php:21

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (OK)
/favicon.ico

wildjokerdesign
06-18-2010, 06:59 AM
That is interesting. So there must be some code that detects the user agent and it does not recognize newer versions of browsers and perhaps does not even recognize Google so the code just stops working.

WestHost - BChambers
06-18-2010, 08:39 AM
I have passed along this thread to our developers. Thank you for the discussion, and helping us be made aware of the problem. As Wildjoker has stated in this thread, 3.0 is end of life, BUT we are still trying to maintain the system the best we can while focusing the majority of our efforts on our new 4.0 environment. Our developers will be looking into this issue as soon as they can. I can't promise it will be in the next few days, but they do have it now on their large list of projects.

jmknapp53
06-18-2010, 10:18 AM
Thanks very much everyone, especially wildjoker for his work and RMD for finding a workaround.

Setting agent to IE 6 worked. Not even IE7 worked!

Should anyone else run into this problem, this fix appears to fix things.

Too bad WH couldn't have given me this simple answer months ago!

I'm sorry, WH, saying you won't support a product that you are asking me to pay for every month just isn't acceptable.

Do I have to upgrade to 4.0 to make my WH account work? Seems pretty shoddy.

J.

wildjokerdesign
06-18-2010, 10:54 AM
J,
I have to come to the defense of WestHost on this one. :) Two things actually. First in regards to WH 3.0 and it being at end of life. West Host had no control over this since the frame work it self was abandoned by the company they purchased it from. In all fairness to West Host they kept it alive way past Sphera's official abandonment of the project by making special deals with them. The time finally came when Sphera finally put it's foot down so to speak and so West Host no longer had support from them. That is when they decided they needed to move on based on feed back and feature request from their clients. That is when WH 4.0 was born and at first West Host was going to require that all current clients move to it. Well since WH 4.0 is not a VPS environment but a shared environment many clients where in an uproar. Based on that feed back WestHost decided to go ahead and allow current clients to stay on the system even though maintaining it was going to be a headache for them. They now have no support from the Sphera and since the code is not open source but proprietary legally they are limited in what they can do even if it is abandoned.

While you stated that Chrome and Safari are major browsers they really are not. Both are moving forward into cutting edge technology and some of that is not considered standard yet. This makes it very hard to keep up with or even code for. Fixing code to work with either could potentially disable it in browsers like FF, or IE which are the two most used. West Host has to take that in to consideration when they do make changes. When I design sites I try very hard to make the browser independent but it can be really hard.

I could say more but I'll stop there since I think I am starting to ramble. :)

thomc
01-22-2011, 07:54 PM
I've had the same problem for quite some time. I noticed also that on rare occasions, the User data would load, but usually not.
If you look at the timing of scripts as they arrive, the failure always occurs with ReferenceErrors to variables CTableColumn and CTableView.
If _table_view.js and table_view.js (they seem to define the variables missing) arrive before or during the load of accounts.inc.en_US.1247590465.js.php, then the Users will load properly. If these scripts arrive after, it fails.
As with others in this thread, Firefox does load properly every time, Safari and Google Chrome do not (usually).