PDA

View Full Version : 4.0 When?

davemon
05-21-2010, 12:29 PM
The answer to the second question in the FAQ for the migration to 4.0 says migration of all the existing 3.0 accounts should begin in the fall of 2009 and take 6 months. I know that was an expectation and not a promise. I am an existing 3.0 customer.

Can you please update us. This is May 2010, 2 months beyond the 6 months after the intended migration startup. I apologize if this has been asked elsewhere but I didn't see it, and no one from WestHost has emailed me any updates to keep me posted.

WestHost - CReeves
05-21-2010, 01:41 PM
davemon,

Thank you for your question. When that was initially posted we were expecting to no longer have the 3.0 platform as an option. Since then we have been able to work out a solution to keep clients on the 3.0 platform longer than expected. As you may know 3.0 is at end of life and we are currently recommending and encouraging clients to make the move to WestHost 4.0. Since we were able to keep existing clients on WH 3.0 for longer than expected we have not implemented a forced migration.

Essentially existing WH 3.0 clients are able to make this transition whenever they would like. You would simply sign up for a 4.0 account, move/copy your files, and update your DNS setting. Once you have moved your account to 4.0 you can submit cancellaton of your 3.0 account so that we can credit any remaining prorated balance over to your new 4.0 account.

We are working on solutions to make the transtition easier in the future but certainly for those that want to make the move now this option is available to them.

wildjokerdesign
05-22-2010, 08:14 AM
Dave,

If you want to go the route that Clint suggest above to migrate your your account to 4.0 I can offer some guidance. If you have a simple HTML site, then it is really pretty straight forward and all you really need to do is move the files in /var/www/html to /public_html in your 4.0 account.

If you are using something like Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal or another CMS type program for your site then it can get a bit more complicated since you also need to migrate your database from 3.0 to 4.0. I've written some details of that process at http://wildjokerdesign.net/faq/how-do-i-move-my-30-database-my-40-account

Depending on how you use email on your account you may need to do some migration of files for that also. That is also a bit complicated but unfortunately I have not written anything up on that yet.

aberg
05-24-2010, 02:05 PM
I have read the migration steps form you and I'am worry that this will be wrong if I switch to Westhost 4.0
I have 4 databases and one of them is big.
Normal I do a MySqldump through Putty and that's work fine.
If I read your manuel it isn't possible to use Putty for dump the database in westhost 4.0
So I prefer to wait for a easier migration to Westhost 4.0
I hope that Westhost this will do, because it's easier to wait that clienst must be do the migration because the software will be not update anymore (php and MySql)
I must renew my semi-delicatie account in the spring of 2011 and I'am serious looking for a other hoster.
The VPS accounts and delicate accounts are to expensive If I compare them with hosters in my country.
Look here (http://www.strato.nl/server/dedicated_server/index.html) and see what I mean.

The reason That I still are client is that the service was very good.
But if I must do the migration on the way they now describe I'am gone

wildjokerdesign
05-24-2010, 02:37 PM
You are not forced to migrate. WestHost is allowing current 3.0 accounts to stay as they are. You only have to migrate if you want the features of 4.0 like cPanel. Also if you know now to use putty and command line for a mysql dump then you can do that. 4.0 supports SSH and putty. :) Just remember that in 4.0 your databases and users have your main username prefaced on them with an underscore _ to separate them.

WestHost - CReeves
05-24-2010, 02:41 PM
aberg,

We certainly understand your concerns regarding the migration. We have spent countless hours working on making this migration as simple and seamless as possible. The WestHost 3.0 platform is very unique which adds an extra element of complexity although as I stated we are working on solutions to make this move easier. We are very eager to help clients get over to our 4.0 platform. For many clients this will be a simple transition but for some it may be a little more challenging.

We certainly would like to encourage existing clients to seriously consider making the transition sooner rather than waiting. I can assure you that it is our aim not to lose anyone through this migration process and that we are in the process of working on solutions to make it easier. If you have specific concerns you may need help with we would encourage you to contact us directly to see how we can help. We value your business and aim to do everything we can to make the migration simple and painless.

guitarwez3
05-24-2010, 03:11 PM
Clint, what would you recommend for Resellers that need to (slowly) move 70+ client sites to 4.0? I may end up creating a new Reseller account for 4.0, transfer over a few easy small client sites from my 3.0 Reseller accounts, and then have two Reseller accounts going on concurrently (one for 3.0 and one for 4.0).

I have several client sites that have Ecommerce carts (Miva and Avactis), Drupal, CMS Made Simple, WordPress, phpBB3, SMF, etc. and I'm not very confident at all about moving them over to a new platform just yet. I'm mainly a front-end web designer but I can fiddle around a little bit with some plugin apps. I just can't migrate that many sites over in a small amount of time because I KNOW there will be numerous hiccups during each site migration.

Please advise - and let me know if WH has any tools as of yet that could help assist in this. Thanks so much!

wildjokerdesign
05-25-2010, 07:23 AM
I think your idea to move the sites over time is a good one. I know it means some extra cost on your end while you do that since you have to maintain two accounts but I think it is worth it. Actually if you pay yearly or two years at a time I guess it really is not that much of a hardship since they do transfer any remaining credit from you 3.0 to your 4.0 account when you close it down. I would make sure that you make it clear when you get the 4.0 account that it is one you are using to upgrade your 3.0 accounts to. That way WestHost knows this is an account that well be credited with the 3.0 remaining monies at some point. I don't know if there is something they need to do in tagging accounts or not but it is better safe then sorry. :)

aberg
05-25-2010, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the replay and suggestions.
I will wait of the migration process will be easier in the future.
The idea to take a second account for install all websites and data cost a lot of time for transfer al data.
It is must easier when Westhost do this job and copy (transfer) all data to the new server.
For what I don't understand is that clients must be make cost for transfer there data if they what to migrate to westhost 4.0 now
It's not the clients who have ask for Westhost 4.0 but a decision form the Staff.
A share server is must cheaper in support and maintenance.
For what I have read on the internet they call it a step back in hosting.

WestHost - CReeves
05-25-2010, 01:19 PM
aberg,

I understand your desire to wait for additional help before making the transfer. I can assure you that this is still a priority for us. Keep in mind that for the vast majority of clients this will be an upgrade to the 4.0 environment. There are a few clients that rely on the "VPS-like" like technology offered on the 3.0 platform. For those clients we have still been able to keep the 3.0 platform running. Of course there is still the option to move over to VPS.NET (our sister company) as well which we have encouraged clients to consider.

I'll make sure to pass along your feedback through the appropriate channels as we continue to work on solutions for this migration process. In the meantime, while we are not doing a forced migration we do still want clients to keep in mind that the option is open to move to 4.0. There have been many who have already made the transition successfully and are now enjoying the benefits of our 4.0 environment.

DiaLady
05-27-2010, 07:11 PM
Wanted to give my own feedback. I"m not a big client (less than 40 accounts), but I've been anxious for 4.0. I don't have anything fancy outside of WORDPRESS databases and one oscommerce site.

It's VERY disappointing to me that I still haven't been moved over to 4.0 AND now WH is expecting me to PAY and do the moving myself. I'm a "one woman" show with little extra time or money to do this long anticipated migration, not to mention limited expertise to move a bunch of databases without interruption in service.

If WH isn't going to at least give us an expected date for the optional transition, I'm going to be stuck finding somewhere else to put my clients. Some of my clients have been asking for cPanel for quite awhile and I've been echoing WH promises that cPanel is coming soon. Y'all are NOT making me look good to my clients.

I would also like to ditto previous exaltations on WH superior customer service. The tech guys ROCK! But reliability is has steadily decreased. In the 2.0 to 3.0 transition, I lost my biggest client. With all the recent reliability issues, I've lost 1/2 of my current largest client. And I have others that may leave if they don't get cPanel soon.

Come on Management. .. give the little guy (or gal) a hand! I've been faithful to WH for over 10 years. Can't you get those of us who need moved to 4.0 MOVED already?

wildjokerdesign
05-28-2010, 07:46 AM
DiaLady,

I wonder if it would be worth it for you to go ahead and order the smallest reseller package and start the migration of your clients that are really wanting cPanel. I know that gives you some extra overhead at the moment but might help you keep them. Also the 4.0 system is very different from the 3.0 one in the back end. WHM is used which is part of cPanel and you have a lot more power and options. With this power and options you have more you have to set up for each account. You may want to be able to play with and get used to that system before your clients are actually moved.

The cost of an entry level re-seller right now is 479.40 if you pay for a year. While that is a decent chunk of money It seems like a reasonable investment to learn the new system. If you move your clients to a new host your going to have that cost anyway. Also don't forget that if you can get all your accounts moved in a timely fashion you can have your 3.0 balance credited to your 4.0 account.

You might also contact WestHost direct and see if you can cut some type of deal with them. I was hesitant to say this at first in the open forum but maybe they would be willing to give you a break of some type on your new 4.0 account. They are offering deals right now on new regular accounts so perhaps they could do a deal on re-seller accounts.

As always I am more then happy to help out if you do want to try and move some sites manually. I have Skype and could be online if you needed guidance during the first couple moves.

WestHost - CReeves
05-28-2010, 08:42 AM
DiaLady,

We completely understand your concern and desire to get moved over. As Shawn mentioned the 4.0 system is very different than the 3.0 system on the back end. Depending on the complexity of the site, number of data bases, etc… these moves could take a considerable amount of time to move each client. As you can imagine this is simply not a feasible option for us at this point in time. As has been mention on several occasions we have had our developers working on some solutions that may make this transition easier for us all.

In the meantime, signing up for a 4.0 account and slowly transitioning over your sites is really the best move. You would have to do this anyway if you transferred to another host. With WestHost you can still work with the same support team on both systems if you have questions. Also once your accounts are moved we will credit over your entire remaining 3.0 balance. For clients that want to make the move now and would like us to handle everything we can do this through our Web Design team at an hourly rate.

To summarize you have 3 options.
•Stay on the current 3.0 sytem.
•Purchase a new 4.0 account and move over your sites. Once everything was moved over we would credit your 4.0 account with any remaining balance from your 3.0 account
•Submit a request to have y our 3.0 account moved over to 4.0 through our Web design team.

We understand the desire that many of you have to get transferred over. For those of you who are hesitant you can be reassured that the same technicians will be here to answer your questions on either platform. The level of service will not change from one platform to another. We appreciate everyone’s input on this thread and will continue to work towards solutions that will help make the transition more seamless. We will continue to communicate with all of our clients as new information or new solutions become available.

aberg
05-28-2010, 01:59 PM
Again I'am don't understand why you ask for signup for a new account for move over the websites.
It's not the clients who have ask for the new platform.
If you really give support than you give clients who want to move to westhost 4 a free time for move over the websites and not a discount when they are ready.
The other thing what I must say is that I read always about the new servers and the excellent speed.
But that is what Westhost write.
I have now a semidelicate account share with 20 users.
On the new platform this are 50!! users.
Westhost write that this isn't a problem because (again) new speed servers.
They forgot that applications ask more speed and traffic.
What about video online (HD) and photo applications?or running complicate forums with galery and video
Still have concerns and this will be more and more if I read that clienst must pay for move there account.
Where is the good old Westhost service??
Is it gone since they have take over and now have a VPS server sister company?

WestHost - CReeves
05-28-2010, 03:27 PM
Again I'am don't understand why you ask for signup for a new account for move over the websites.
It's not the clients who have ask for the new platform.

aberg,

Right now, its simply an option and not a requirement to make the move. If we were doing a forced migration then this would be handled a little bit differently.

To address your issue about performance on the 4.0 semi-deds vs. the 3.0 semi-deds there are a few key items to keep in mind. The VPS-like sphera technology on the 3.0 platform is much less efficient and takes up more resources to run. Since we are not using this technology on the new 4.0 platform we see a drastic increase in the overall server performance. This is why we are able to increase the number of accounts on our 4.0 semi-dedicated servers. Even with the increase from 25 to 50 the 4.0 semi-ded servers still run more efficiently. Keep in mind we have been running the 4.0 semi-deds since late last year with great success.

Again, we completely understand your desire to move over to 4.0. It sounds like we both really want the same thing. You want to be on 4.0 and we want you on 4.0. As mentioned several times you are welcome to make the change whenever is most convenient for you and we will work with you on crediting over your remaining 3.0 balance. We simply do not have the resources at this juncture to easily migrate everyone off the 3.0 platform. Our developers continue to work on finding solutions that will make this transition easier for everyone.

WestHost - CReeves
05-28-2010, 03:35 PM
Where is the good old Westhost service??
Is it gone since they have take over and now have a VPS server sister company?

aberg,

We are still here just as we always have been. Our support team is the same support team we have always had only better as they continue to acquire more expertist and stay up to speed on the latest technical trends/issues.

Our sister company VPS.NET has not negatively impacted our ability to serve our clients as we always have. Client satisfcation has always been a top priority and remains a top priority here at WestHost. The previous upgrades from 2.0 to 3.0 were much different than the move to 4.0 because of the server technology being employed. Keep in mind that the vps-like technology we were using on WH 3.0 came to end of life by no fault of our own. While this has been a big challenge for us to make the transition over to 4.0 (a completely different type of hosting platform) we are definately up for the challenge. Many clients have already successfully migrated over. Our developers continue to work on solutions to make it more simplistic in the future. We have and will continue to credit over any remaining unused 3.0 balances to the 4.0 platform. In short, this project is a priority for us and we will continue to work on it.

wildjokerdesign
05-29-2010, 07:02 AM
Clint,

It seems like one of the big issues that some folks have is the money investment to migrate. I wonder if some type of deal could be offered for those who wanted to migrate? I doubt it is feasible to offer the new 4.0 account for "free" till the person was able to move all accounts but would there be a chance that you could offer something like a free month tagged on to the end of a plan in the same way you normally run specials like the current one? It would give an incentive for people to migrate that don't need the 3.0 abilities but are hesitant because of cost or the magnitude of the job of moving sites. Like you mentioned we are not required to move to 4.0 so really WestHost doesn't owe use anything but you have always spoiled use in the past. :)

Shawn

wildjokerdesign
05-29-2010, 07:06 AM
Dialady,

It dawned on me that you really would not have to order the new reseller account for an entire year. You could actually just go on a month by month payment with the new 4.0 account, which would actually ease the financial burden on your end. I guess I was just focused on getting the best monthly rate, which comes with a year payment. :)

Shawn

aberg
05-29-2010, 10:47 AM
Thank you for the answers.
it feels good to see that you take the time for me to explain what is going on and what I can expect.
After reading your replay's I have make the decision to wait if there is comming a solution for move over without a lot of problem.
Ofcourse I have the time because as I wrote earlier my renew dat is in the spring 2011.
You wrote in your emails that a lot of clients are happy with the new Westhost 4 plan.
But what I have read so far I can't find them.
The only thing I have read is a lot of clients who have the same feelings and concern as I have.
But ok, I know now that Westhost is working on a solution and I wait.
On this moment my websites are running fine.
We shall see what the future will bring.

guitarwez3
06-02-2010, 10:23 AM
As a Reseller still on WH3, what do I do about the two Miva Merchant clients I have? How do I move them over to WH4 if Miva isn't supported on that platform? I'm thinking of creating a new Reseller account for WH4 and slowly moving my clients over to the new platform over the upcoming months. I just don't know what to do about my two Miva clients. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

wildjokerdesign
06-02-2010, 02:46 PM
You might get a faster response if you ask via a support ticket. There are programs that they have dropped in WH 4.0 like formmail that still work fine on WH 4.0 simply by transferring the files for the program. I think though that with Miva extra libraries are needed for it to work. If they had a trial version I could download and give it at try for you but they don't.

If it is not supported then your only real option would be to switch to one of the open source e-commerce programs. I am pretty sure they will all work and in fact a couple of them are available for install through cPanel. Everything I could find on-line about migrating miva to another system where not very encouraging though. Sounds like you have to do a lot of manipulation of the databases back and forth getting it from miva in to something like excel and then back into which ever program you want to use.