PDA

View Full Version : Server down again, no useful communications.

rbredow
03-19-2010, 12:02 AM
I've been a long-time satisfied Westhost customer and have 3 accounts. All three accounts on various servers have been effected by the major outage, and then again numerous times this week as well. The chat tech's seem constantly overwhelmed, the hold time is excessive, and when you reach them they can only point that the admins are working on the problems but have no real info. The netstatus page indicates my most recent failed server should be back online 45 minutes ago and there's no other information. It's not even responding to pings. (wsl00022)

I understand hardware failures. But without good communication during downtime, you're going to loose clients. From my perspective, nothing has improved since the major outage to fix the communication problems.

To add insult to injury, my sites have been down so much this past week, my nightly backups have all been interrupted. My most recent complete backup is over 8 days old.

Rob

WestHost - CReeves
03-19-2010, 10:06 AM
rbredow,

We agree that open communication is extremely important. We always notify clients via email if their is planned maintenance on the servers. In some cases when there is emergency maintenance that creates an additonal challenge. In these instances we do our best to keep Netstatus page updated with the most recent ETA's etc... While we understand your frustration we will continue to do our best to provide you optimal performance.

rbredow
03-19-2010, 07:53 PM
Thanks for following up. If the netstatus page is the place to get the updates, it needs improvement. Today is a good example. My site has been down nearly all day. It's down right now. It responds to pings but I cannot access via ssh nor http. However, the netstatus page is happily reporting all green lights and no other updates. It's been like that all day, except for once when it reported a problem with SMTP (the least of my concerns).

I did get an email response to my support ticket indicating the RAID array is being rebuild and will be done on Saturday. However, they didn't expect any downtime--just sluggish behavior. Clearly not what I'm experiencing.

I've always found customer support to be excellent with Westhost. And for an inexpensive hosting environment, the level of service with the VPS features has been impressive. However, you should look at the twitter accounts of linode or slicehost for an example of good downtime updates. This is not it.

WestHost - CReeves
03-22-2010, 08:20 AM
rbredow,

Thank you for the feedback. I appreciate your insight and suggestion here. I'll take a look. In the meantime we will continue to provide the best information possible to better assist you.