PDA

View Full Version : Sending emails only to westhost server

hostingboy
03-14-2010, 06:50 PM
I want to get email only sent to westhost server.

The website is currently hosted on an unstable server that often has downtime. Client doesnt want the site shifted but does want to send and receive emails even when their site is down.

I am a real beginner when it comes to MX records and how to get this to work.

Does anyone know of a good tutorial they can point me to?

Or can someone help "walk me" through the steps to set this up?

wildjokerdesign
03-15-2010, 08:32 AM
Hostingboy,

Can you clarify what you need a bit more?
Are they on another hosting site right now and want to direct their email here to WestHost?
Do you have access to the interface where they registered their domain?

Actually that last question is pretty important. :) You'll need access to the registrar interface to do anything like this. You'll also need to research what they offer in the way of control over the records.

wildjokerdesign
03-15-2010, 09:14 AM
You might want to give this page a look. http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/dnsrecords.htm It is actually pretty easy to understand I think. I always struggle with DNS myself to some extent. :)

Also, I had said that you would need access to the registrar to do what you wanted. Depending on where the main domain is hosted that may have been a false statement on my behalf. For example here on WestHost you can actually create an MX record to point your email elsewhere.

I simple terms I believe you are looking at setting up an A record that point mail.domain.com to the static IP here at WestHost. Then you would create an MX record that points to mail.domain.com.