PDA

View Full Version : Check Mail Error Log

troyp
03-05-2010, 10:43 AM
How do I check the mail error log on an account within my reseller account? I don't have shell or root access. I'm trying to determine why a particular email address my client uses is not getting emails sent via php mail function. Other addresses tested get the mail consistently

Thanks.

wildjokerdesign
03-05-2010, 10:53 AM
If they are a client under your reseller account then you should have shell access. I have shell access to everyone of my accounts under my reseller account.

Ahhh.... waint.... I guess if they changed the password on you then you would not. In that case if they want you to fix something, then tell them you need the password. :)

You would still have access to their Site Manager. You could set up a new FTP user for yourself. Make sure you use / and do not add a directory on to that for the path of the new user.

First thing to check though is that the email address they are trying to use is not just an alias that sends to another "real" email account.

troyp
03-05-2010, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the help again Shawn. In fact I don't have shell access, or any direct access to logs that I can determine (I'm on WHM 4.0/Cpanel), but I've had a ticket in for that since yesterday and can now wait until I get a response.

WHM does have a mail troubleshooter, and if I use it on the address in question I get "virtual_aliases via virual_aliases router forced address failure." So, my bad, I had the mail settings set to local for that account (which is wrong) and that put the wrong entry in the localdomains file. Changed the setting and looks good.

wildjokerdesign
03-05-2010, 12:24 PM
Duh... I have got to remember to always ask if it is 3.0 or 4.0 now! :o

If you go to thier cPanel via WHM can't you use Raw Access Log under Logs to download and look at them?

I need to just bite the bullet and order an WH 4.0 reseller account so I can keep up on these things better. :)