PDA

View Full Version : Migration from 3.0 to 4.0

ajandersen
03-03-2010, 01:43 PM
I just got off of the phone with billing and with technical support and it looks like Westhost is going to make it quite difficult and $$ to migrate to the 4.0 platform. Here's my story:

I am a semi-dedicated 3.0 customer (also affected by the outage). Since 3.0 is end-of-life, we need to move to 4.0 in order to get newer php, mysql, etc. There is no script to migrate my 3.0 to 4.0 and, to be honest, I'm not sure that I would trust the script to my business website that cannot have downtime.

I requested that they give me a 4.0 semi-dedicated account so that I could move my 3.0 semi-dedicated account over to it. Then, after I've manually moved the files, DBs, email, etc, I could terminate the 3.0 server account. I estimate about 1 week to do this successfully. That is not an option, according to WH.

The only way Westhost will let me move my files is by PURCHASING a 4.0 system. The minimum time you can purchase is a quarterly billing. So, to migrate my files across, I'll have to pay a quarter of semi-dedicated pricing, even though I simply need a week. After that time, any unused amount on 3.0 can be credited to future services.

Can you imagine migrating a dedicated server to their 4.0 system? That could cost you about $1k just because Westhost will not give you a system for a week to migrate your files.

Has anyone else run into these frustrations? How have you dealt with the migration?

I have always LOVED Westhost, but this seems like a clever way to get me to shell out more $$.

wildjokerdesign
03-03-2010, 02:03 PM
Part of me can see what you saying. I don't think it is so much a money issue with them but an issue of trying to keep everything within the limits of normal operation. You do understand that you do not lose the money from your 3.0 account but that it is credited to your 4.0 once you shut the account down. Actually that may be one reason they have decided to do it this way. Some clients may not be as quick to get their new sites up and running. If you know that the 3.0 monies are not credited to your 4.0 account it is a bit of an incentive to expedite the move quickly.

jeffc215
03-03-2010, 02:16 PM
Just got off of chat because I am looking to add more accounts/clients for hosting and it would make more sense to upgrade to the 4.0 reseller package. However, there's the issue of migrating my current 3.0 over to 4.0. The "tool" is not available yet as you mentioned, so I am kinda in limbo here. I am glad I did not set-up the temp 4.0 account during the outage, I would be just as confused as I am now trying to keep track of accounts, hosting money, etc.

wildjokerdesign
03-03-2010, 02:21 PM
I am not sure they can ever make a "tool" to migrate the accounts. The site I just moved would have failed with such a tool no matter what they tried to do. :) I've said this before, I am always happy to guide folks on moving their accounts. That doesn't mean I'll do it for you but I can look at what you have and give advice on what you may need to look at. ;)

jalal
03-04-2010, 01:56 AM
The only way Westhost will let me move my files is by PURCHASING a 4.0 system. The minimum time you can purchase is a quarterly billing. So, to migrate my files across, I'll have to pay a quarter of semi-dedicated pricing, even though I simply need a week. After that time, any unused amount on 3.0 can be credited to future services.

Which is approximately what they told me, which seems fair. If I get things ready to transfer, I figure it would only take one or two days, so I would only pay for one or two days of overlap, which is not a lot. Of course, free would be nicer. :)

ajandersen
03-23-2010, 06:20 PM
Well, I did the migration....the path has been a nightmare! I love Westhost because of their support, and I still think that the support is great. The transition, however, has been truly awful.

I migrated my files, db, emails, etc from my 3.0 to the 4.0 (shared) and it took quite a while to do . I just had my 4.0 shared system upgraded to semi-dedicated (like my 3.0 was) and my website has been down since this early afternoon. Support says that the upgrade didn't work right and it may take them until tomorrow (hopefully no longer) to figure out why that is.

For my website, up-time is extremely important. That being said, downtime has been the norm, lately.

wildjokerdesign
03-24-2010, 06:46 AM
Sorry to hear you had a problem with the upgrade to semi-dedicated. If they give you any indication of what happened it would be great to know here on the forums. It might help others avoid the same issue.

WestHost - CReeves
03-24-2010, 08:28 AM
ajandersen,

I'm sorry it has been so difficult for you to make the transition. We have had many clients transition over without any difficulties at all. Having said this, I'm certain that our support team is doing whatever they can to assist you. Please fee free to contact support by phone for a status update on your ticket.

DiaLady
03-28-2010, 04:30 PM
I really, really want to upgrade to 4.0 as a reseller, but there is no way I can move some of my big accounts on my own. I've been anxiously waiting to get to a CPanel . . .

So are y'all saying that WESTHOST is NOT migrating folks anymore and that there is no hope of tool to do it? Ummm .. .

Theresa 8-)

wildjokerdesign
03-29-2010, 05:45 AM
Theresa,

No WestHost is still working on tools that can be used to move accounts from 3.0 to 4.0. The thing is, that is is a very complicated task given the freedom we had in 3.0. For example if you are one of your clients has use GNU to install something specific for their needs on a WH 3.0 account it may not be available in 4.0. The majority of clients never used this ability. You also have to take in to consideration the fact that in 3.0 we had control over both php.ini and httpd.conf files. In 4.0 those are now shared by everyone so we don't have individual control over them or at least not in the same way.

If you are a reseller, even with help from WestHost and any tools they may provide you need to start looking at your accounts and planing. If the sites are fairly simple then it should be pretty straight forward. For example if they have a site that is a forum like phpBB2 then you would need to transfer the files in /var/www/html to the new server. Then you move the database for phpBB2 over to the new account. You should be able to go from the most part then. All that is left is transferring their email accounts. I am pretty sure that the tools WestHost is working on are for such situations. They well be taking into consideration current Site Applications that are available in Site Manager and looking at what it takes to move sites with those installed.

There are some things that are not available in 4.0. For example Miva is no longer offered, nor is Darwin streaming server.

I don't think that Miva well be that much of a problem to transfer since it is installable on most platforms anyway and from what I understand does not normally need special access to files.

Darwin is a different story. It takes advantage of the fact that we can install things that are unique to our accounts. I doubt sites that use that well be able to simply move files and work. That being said there are so many ways that you can add video to a site that the end user well not really notice. The webmaster though well need to more then likely convert those video files into a format that is more universal. Flash would be the best format to use since the majority of folks out there already have the player installed on their computers and if not it is a free program. Youtube serves up it's videos in flash format. There are tons of players out there that can be used for this and most are free. The player itself is something that resides on the website and is the "look" or interface for viewing the video.

That is kind of the tip of the iceberg. :) I think the important thing for a reseller is to start looking at all their accounts to determine if there is anything unique about them or if they are pretty standard. If they have quite a few accounts and it is a major income source then I would suggest being proactive and opening up a separate WH 4.0 now. Yes I know that would be an added cost and increase overhead for a time but it would put you in control. You could start moving some of the simpler sites now. You could even test out some of the more complicated moves without losing the old set up. In the long run you may even need to maintain two accounts. You may have some clients that won't be able to switch. Of course in that case you end up with two accounts but there is nothing that says you can't push to resell the vacated 3.0 accounts to new clients who may need the abilities.

Ok so after all the rambling, I should make clear that the simple answer to your question again is that WestHost is still planning to go forward with the move to WH 4.0 and that they are working on tools to do that. They did make the decision to give currents clients the option to not move from 3.0.

sandyb
06-14-2010, 07:10 AM
Is anyone else doing the migration from 3.0 to 4.0 ? I only wish I had read this thread before I started. Looks like I made a terrible decision, email has been hosed for 5 days. How long did it take you to move DNS ?
thanks

WestHost - CReeves
06-14-2010, 08:09 AM
sandyb,

I'm sorry to hear about your frustration. DNS propogation can take up to 24 hours but usually happens within just a few hours once you make the change. There is no reason why any DNS should take 5 days unless there is somthing else wrong. Please contact our 24/7 Technical Support team directly so we can further assist you with this.

sandyb
06-14-2010, 09:33 AM
We have not had reliable email since Thursday, June 10 and have lots thousands of dollars in sales, not to mention all the hours our staff has spent on this. On hold for tech support (again)

wildjokerdesign
06-14-2010, 03:06 PM
It doesn't make since that you don't have email for 5 days. Like Clint said DNS normally only takes a couple hours or 24 at the most.

Did you set the email accounts up in your 4.0 account? Anything odd about how you had email set up on your old 3.0 account?

aberg
06-16-2010, 12:17 PM
One of my isues is the migration form the databases (MySQL)
I hope that there will come a tool for easy migration MySQL from westhost 3 to westhost 4

sandyb
06-26-2010, 10:52 AM
So it turns out our "DNS" problem was not a DNS problem at all (surprise). When WestHost Client Services built the emails on V4, they were built incorrectly and had all be recreated manually.

So after all this, and a number of other problems, we are trying to migrate the rest of our domains to the V4 server. I am absolutely astounded at the lack of responsiveness. I didn't realize 24x7 meant "except weekends" and that there is no escalation procedure in place.

Things that I was assured were working on Thursday and Friday were NOT working Friday night when we tried to move DNS. But it turns out that if your hardware is running, but your software is not, according to WestHost your server is up.

Has anyone migrated to V4 ? Have you paid WestHost to do the migration? Save your money and your blood pressure medicine.

sandyb
06-26-2010, 10:53 AM
PS I did get transferred to Clint Reeve's voicemail to leave a message for when he returns on Monday.

wildjokerdesign
06-27-2010, 07:11 AM
There are some services and departments that are not as available on weekends as they are on business days. This is one area I have always felt that WestHost could do better.

What programs do you have that are not working at the moment. Perhaps someone on the forum can help. It is possible that it is a configuration issue and you might be able to fix it by editing a single file.

sandyb
06-27-2010, 11:32 AM
thanks for your offer of help, unfortunately at this point so many people have touched it, I am not sure what the problem is anymore. We will have to wait until Monday. Its too bad, because there are a lot of things I like about WestHost, but not having any escalation process of the weekends is probably a dealbreaker for me. Too bad, we were just starting to use VPS and happy with them.

WestHost - CReeves
06-28-2010, 08:12 AM
sandyb,

I do apologize for the trouble you have been having with your move. I'll give you a call this morning to follow up on this issue.