PDA

View Full Version : Use DreamWeaver instead of WebCreator

spikescb
02-25-2010, 12:04 PM
I am a novice, so please don't use big confusing terms if you reply to this post. (thanks). Currently I have a site called spikescbradios.com I had to get it up very quickly, so I used the Website Creator thing provided with my package. It was quick and easy and served the purpose. When I get time, I will be creating a site in DreamWeaver and uploading it. But before I screw things up, do I need to somehow 'undo' the website creator version prior to uploading the DreamWeaver one? If I do, be specific on how I might do that.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

wildjokerdesign
02-25-2010, 02:20 PM
Come back and bump this thread next week. I might be able to help you through some things but right now is a bad time. Things are kind of busy. :)

deerfoot
02-25-2010, 06:57 PM
I'm patiently waiting for my sites to be restored so I'll take a stab at answering your question. I have not used Website Creator so don't know what files and folders(directories) it uses, but this should work without damaging anything.

When I design a new site in Dreamweaver, before I put it up live I make a folder(directory) on the remote WestHost server called "newsite" (without the quotes) and upload the new design there. The url to it would be www.mydomain.com/newsite. Once it's working and been checked with several browsers on both PCs and Macs, I create another folder named "oldsite," drag all the old files on the remote server into it, except for the folders for fm (file manager), cgi-bin, and pma if it's there, and drag the newsite files into the home folder (/var/www/html/). This way you don't destroy the old site until you know the new one works. Your index.html or index.php is the Home page that starts people around the site. (I see that Website Creator uses main.html instead. You should stick to index.)

You should make all links relative (images/mylogo.jpg) rather than absolute (http://mydomain.com/images/mylogo.jpg). If you need to go up one level put ../ before the link (../images/graphicname.jpg). With relative links you can move the whole site to another location without breaking the links; absolute links would need to be rewritten.

For uploading the newsite design, in Dreamweaver's Site Manager when it asks "What folder on the server do you want to store your files in?" use /var/www/html/newsite/ . You'll need to remove that newsite/ once you've dragged the files out of it. Also, when I started using Dreamweaver I had trouble connecting until I checked the box for Use Secure FTP (SFTP).

Hope this helps. Have fun.

wildjokerdesign
02-26-2010, 07:04 AM
Thanks Lyn,

That should really get them started. I remember playing with the Website Creator when it first came out and remembered it was not "normal" in how it did things. I was not sure of all the details about it but I think if they do what you suggest they should be just fine.

Spikescb,
We are here if you need more clarification or run into any problems in the switch over.

spikescb
10-07-2010, 07:03 AM
I DO APOLOGIZE. I meant to come back to this thread and thank you Lyn for your help and instructions. In the back of my mind, I thought I had come back to thank you, and I see I did not. So THANK YOU now.

It did work and help me out a great deal. I got it. Everything is fully functional in DreamWeaver now. though I don't think I did it correctly. I think there are still pieces of that web creator site still in there, my files are probably 'messy'. But as long as it's working in DreamWeaver for the moment, I'm happy.

Thanks again for your help back in February. And again, sorry for the delay.

deerfoot
10-12-2010, 04:42 PM
You're welcome. No problem with the delay. I'm glad you got it working.